Team GB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see what's the problem with a "GB all stars" type thing once every four years, tbh. I'd actually kinda like it.

What would be good about an England team with Gareth bale in it?

'GB all stars' it's football no space jam

:lol:

What would be good about an England team with Gareth bale in it?

'GB all stars' it's football no space jam

:lol:

I just find it a bit of an embarrassment that we have to miss out on fielding a team in the olympics because of our anomalous constitutional arrangement.

Another option would be to have a mini home nations championship before the olympics, with the winning team wearing the GB colours. But I prefer the idea of doing it like the Lions in rugby.

I just find it a bit of an embarrassment that we have to miss out on fielding a team in the olympics because of our anomalous constitutional arrangement.

Another option would be to have a mini home nations championship before the olympics, with the winning team wearing the GB colours. But I prefer the idea of doing it like the Lions in rugby.

It's the Olympics...

It would be great if all 4 countries could just enter their own team but hey ho.

Difference being the lions only play glorified friendlies.

I'm happy with the way things are, I've got no interesting in seeing England, Wales it a NI team represent me at the Olympics regardless of the kit they're wearing.

Difference being the lions only play glorified friendlies.

I'm happy with the way things are, I've got no interesting in seeing England, Wales it a NI team represent me at the Olympics regardless of the kit they're wearing.

Except they aren't friendlies though, are they? Caps are awarded for Lions appearances. They count as official international matches, with all the honours which go along with that.

I'd actually rather a British Lions football team compete in something meaningful, like the Olympics, rather than pissing about in Miami playing a MLS select XI.

Except they aren't friendlies though, are they? Caps are awarded for Lions appearances. They count as official international matches, with all the honours which go along with that.

I expect that's why he used the word "glorified".

FIFA have said they'll block a Team GB from entering a Olympic football team unless all the home FA's support it

Fuckin quality. Can't believe it took a shower of shite like FIFA to do the right thing and mitigate the arrogance of the English FA.

Though realistically Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland don't deserve a team and shouldn't have seperate ones. I would like to see FIFA say if you're one state you can have one team.

Its only fair, why do Scotland get to play in international tournaments but Catalonia and Sicily don't? The UK shouldn't get four teams

That would bring independence pretty quickly or certainly be a big help.

Swoosh

Fuckin quality. Can't believe it took a shower of shite like FIFA to do the right thing and mitigate the arrogance of the English FA.

Though realistically Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland don't deserve a team and shouldn't have seperate ones. I would like to see FIFA say if you're one state you can have one team.

Its only fair, why do Scotland get to play in international tournaments but Catalonia and Sicily don't? The UK shouldn't get four teams

That would bring independence pretty quickly or certainly be a big help.

IIRC it's because the SFA is an individual member association of UEFA and FIFA. San Marino and Andorra have their own associations but Catalunya and Sicily, obviously, do not.

If Britain had one team, the four associations would have to be merged. Would you want our game to be run by the FA pre-independence?

Hell, even Gibraltar have a team these days. I can't see the Iberian national team taking shape any time soon though.

Team GB is just England wanting Gareth Bale to give them glory.

SFA are against it, for exactly the same reasons as it was for 2012.

Shame, I was hoping for a better statement basically telling the English FA to ram it

Those scumbag tossers will only be against it because it will suit them financially to coast off scottish football. most of their jobs would probably be at risk and why change something that is working for them. I bet if they were all offered job security and a 1p wage rise they would sign up for it in a nanosecond.

The fans will never back it though which is fortunately still a big enough statement today. Although for how much longer I don't know

Organisations don't give candid human repsonses. everything is canned, soulless, sterile lawyer statements

IIRC it's because the SFA is an individual member association of UEFA and FIFA. San Marino and Andorra have their own associations but Catalunya and Sicily, obviously, do not.

If Britain had one team, the four associations would have to be merged. Would you want our game to be run by the FA pre-independence?

Absolutely, it would be tiny price to pay for a short while. And lets face it the SFA are incompetent anyway.

I understand its about different associations, but its completely unfair.

There's no way you could sensibly argue with someone from Catalonia saying you don't deserve a team if we don't have one. We obviously don't, no way the UK should have four teams.

It's not fair on other countries that the UK has different football teams simply due to a historical quirk. It won't happen but abolition of the Scottish team for a Team GB would probably be a good thing for Scotland in the long run as it would cause massive public outcry.

The bigwigs in the SFA say they want to retain our footballing independence but I bet they mostly all voted No in the referendum. Hypocrites.

Exactly, I bet they did.

If the England team was abolished Scotland would be independent within ten years guaranteed. They just wouldn't have that at all.

And it is grossly unfair that the UK gets four teams, there really is no sensible reason for it.

Makes it harder for other countries to qualify too, and many have a justified grievance about it.

Exactly, I bet they did.

If the England team was abolished Scotland would be independent within ten years guaranteed. They just wouldn't have that at all.

And it is grossly unfair that the UK gets four teams, there really is no sensible reason for it.

Makes it harder for other countries to qualify too, and many have a justified grievance about it.

giphy.gif

Archived