Team GB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think that most players who were available for Olympic sides in "Britain" (that is, the non-overage ones) would be really happy to play in it. Let's face it, England are outsiders to win a European Championship, and total rank outsiders to win a World Cup. The other home nations have even less chance. But an Olympics medal? Probably still outsiders, but their chances would surely be better. Plus it's something that most players will say they haven't achieved. Of course, whether it's worth achieving is a completely different point, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot of players interested in it. Personally I think Bale would be up for it in his own mind, unless he's "persuaded" otherwise by the Real management not to play. Could be his only chance of ever winning anything at International level, however slim.

The probably more accurate question is how many players would be both interested in playing and allowed to. There's obviously a Euros just weeks before, so most of the top level players for their clubs - on that Sky team, probably Sterling, Barkley and maybe Chamberlain - will be in one tournament or the other. Guess which one they'll plump for?

But from our perspective, I imagine the answer will be the same as it was before. If this team happens, and it's a pretty big if IMO, then the Scottish FA will not be a part of it.

The first thing is for this to happen England HAVE to make the last 4 of this summer's Euro Under 21's. If they don't Team GB don't quality and that's the end of it for another 4 years.

I can see some raising objections as in effect team GB have 4 chances of qualifying and only at the last stage are they then saying they want a United team.

The current Under 21 tournament even has a 5th 6th playoff scheduled if England make the last 4 so a 4th European side can qualify.

SFA are against it, for exactly the same reasons as it was for 2012.

Shame, I was hoping for a better statement basically telling the English FA to ram it

I'm not sure if Pearce was surprised he didn't get the backing from the other FAs for 2012

“I was given the job by my employers at the FA and basically, I don’t think I got the support from the other Home Nations"

Welsh FA saying it's a joke. Called it the English Olympics Association seeing as they've took it upon themselves to decide what we were doing without speaking to anybody.

Being in the UK is pish

The majority of Scots disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived