Premier League B team Plan in England

Down south they're planning on the Johnstone's paint trophy to involve Premier League club's B teams. They are also in talks about the prem B teams being in a league incorporated in the pyramid structure, as happens in a few other countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31702424

Apparently all but one of the clubs voted in favour of them playing in the Johnstone's paint cup...

Am I missing something here? Why on earth would lower league teams want this, other than increased revenue from playing them. All you're doing is ensuring premier club squads would be even bigger as they can keep fringe players happier with competitive games.

Would you want this in Scotland? Wouldn't celtic just Hoover up even more decent players from other clubs and they would be even stronger. I suppose clubs in the bottom division might benefit from a few bigger gates over the season and increased media coverage.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What benefit would lower league clubs get out of this? :blink:

Absolutely zero.

Nobody wants to watch Arbroath or their lower league team play Celtic/Sevco B teams. God I and many other Arbroath fans got sick fed up having Sevco A team in the league, nobody could be arsed with playing them after the 1st time.

For some reason I feel this would just devalue the competitions massively. I'd very quickly lose interest if I had to put up with watching us play B teams.

Eventually they'll end up with this:

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/portugal/liga-de-honra/20142015/regular-season/r25951/

6 "colt" teams in the second tier in Portugal. Just looks rubbish, and I can't see why teams would vote for it. In a similar scenario, would Chelsea's reserve team bring a bigger away support to somewhere than your average Championship side? Can't see it, tbh.

I guess England has a better structure than Portuguese football, and the reserve sides would find it tougher to climb that high up the pyramid, but it's still not the best idea.

The Spanish seem to like it. And SPFL 1 and 2 didn't exactly cry themselves to sleep when Sevco arrived.

Do you honestly expected either us or sevco B teams to bring a big following?

They've only voted them into the JP Trophy so that Dyke and the FA can't accuse them of totally blanking their report - Dyke wanted 'B' teams in the Football League itself (ultimately at tier 3 IIRC?), which was clearly - and justifiably - totally unacceptable to FL clubs and most English football fans. Putting them into the JP Trophy is the most meagre gesture they could make, while making a gesture of some kind. It wouldn't surprise me if some EPL clubs didn't even want to enter.

I wouldn't want to see 'B' teams in the Scottish professional game - or even the Challenge Cup. When it's been proposed in the past, it's mainly been fawning to the OF anyway. Horrid idea.

Do you honestly expected either us or sevco B teams to bring a big following?

I expect in a town like Arbroath for example you would get a few hundred local brain donors along to watch the old firm as opposed to 10 Annan fans.

Still a shite idea.

I expect in a town like Arbroath for example you would get a few hundred local brain donors along to watch the old firm as opposed to 10 Annan fans.

Still a shite idea.

Probably have a few hundred less Arbroath fans there too. I wouldn't go along to Gayfield if we were reduced to playing B teams to keep the big clubs happy. f**k em

They've only voted them into the JP Trophy so that Dyke and the FA can't accuse them of totally blanking their report - Dyke wanted 'B' teams in the Football League itself (ultimately at tier 3 IIRC?), which was clearly - and justifiably - totally unacceptable to FL clubs and most English football fans. Putting them into the JP Trophy is the most meagre gesture they could make, while making a gesture of some kind. It wouldn't surprise me if some EPL clubs didn't even want to enter.

I wouldn't want to see 'B' teams in the Scottish professional game - or even the Challenge Cup. When it's been proposed in the past, it's mainly been fawning to the OF anyway. Horrid idea.

Think he wanted them in just above the Conference/just below League Two, so tier 5. Thought it was an awful idea, and Mr Bairn pretty much summed it up (above, somewhere).

Still a shite idea.

I don't know, I used to watch Celtic reserves when they played at Airdrie. They put out some strong teams. On the way home I drove by the usual mugs in the hoops outside the bookies and the offie, none the wiser that the Blessed Henrik and Bobo etc had been playing just up the road.

Think he wanted them in just above the Conference/just below League Two, so tier 5. Thought it was an awful idea, and Mr Bairn pretty much summed it up (above, somewhere).

Yes, but I think he wanted to cap their ascent at tier 3.

While people are correct to say that the likes of Spain, Germany and recently Portugal allow such teams (although they don't seem to be very popular or well attended) it's equally true to say that they aren't allowed in the likes of Italy, France and Ukraine?

I also believe places like Austria and Switzerland have been 'clamping down' on them.

They've only voted them into the JP Trophy so that Dyke and the FA can't accuse them of totally blanking their report - Dyke wanted 'B' teams in the Football League itself (ultimately at tier 3 IIRC?), which was clearly - and justifiably - totally unacceptable to FL clubs and most English football fans. Putting them into the JP Trophy is the most meagre gesture they could make, while making a gesture of some kind.

Why make a gesture? It's an horrendous idea that nobody other than the despicable Dyke wants. Paying any heed to his crackpot ideas wouldn't benefit the clubs, just his ego.

Archived