Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

I went onto the Charlton fans forums to have a look at what they thought and was utterly blown away.

They see him as the second coming of Jesus. I've never seen a team's fan get that excited over a Scotland player before.

The Football League Show obviously doesn't do justice. Going by their impression of him, he has to get a chance in the 23-man squad.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The timewasting from Tony Watt is fantastic. That is how you kill a match stone dead. Think Charlton will be making more regular appearances on my coupons when he plays.

Surely we should start Fletcher against Gibraltar game in the hope he'd get at least a couple of goals? That's all thats missing from his appearances for Scotland, although goal scoring is vital. Would be madness to leave him out imo.

If we were to pick players on club form then Anya wouldn't be anywhere near the team, the Watford fans can't believe thats the same guy that plays for them.

Stevie May really impressed me with his short cameo against England, again we would prefer someone who could score goals but his strenght,pace and movement could cause teams problems. Would rather him than Martin that's for sure.

Watt and Fletcher should both start against Gibraltar. I'd start those two plus Gauld and Armstrong, then have the other 7 as established as possible.

Fletcher has been one of Scotland's best players in this campaign but badly needs some international goals. The other three have huge potential, Strachan will learn nothing new by playing the likes of Naismith against Gibraltar. It doesn't even matter how many Scotland win by (or it's unlikely to matter anyway), and if 8 established starters for Scotland plus three of our best prospects can't beat Gibraltar we'd be as well giving up anyway.

As much as i'd like to play 5 or 6 new players for the 2 upcoming games, its never a good idea to mess up a settled and reasonably in form team.

I'd be trying to get some strikers and maybe a centre half some game time however as those are the areas where we are thin.

This as someone said already a great opportunity for goal shy strikers to get a few goals and gain some confidence on the international stage.

I would probably look to start both games with something similar to this:

--------------Marshall---------------

Hutton----Martin----Hanley----Robertson

----------Brown-----Morrison----------

Maloney--------Naismith---------Anya

---------------Fletcher--------------

I think any of the three keepers are fine to start with and not sure how much game time Maloney has had recently in the US but apart from that then that's the line up I would go with.

If both games are comfortably won then happy to see young/untested players getting a run out in both games

As much as i'd like to play 5 or 6 new players for the 2 upcoming games, its never a good idea to mess up a settled and reasonably in form team.

I'd be trying to get some strikers and maybe a centre half some game time however as those are the areas where we are thin.

This as someone said already a great opportunity for goal shy strikers to get a few goals and gain some confidence on the international stage.

Listened to Off the ball on Saturday and GS was a guest on the show. Strachan struck me as the type who wouldn't mess with a winning formula. He was talking about calling up players and how they would have to fit into the 2 systems we use.

I'd certainly start with the strongest team possible against Gibraltar, look to get the result in the bag after an hour then introduce some of fresher faces like Mackay-Steven, Armstrong, possibly even Gauld.

I noted that quite a few folk suspect Griffiths will be left out but I would have thought he's a stick-on to be included and is in with quite a decent chance of starting at least one of the games. I doubt Gibraltar will deal terribly well with pace and with plenty in the wide areas, someone nippy like Griffiths up front at some point would serve us quite well, I reckon. I'd like to see Russell start in a wide position against Gibraltar for the same reason.

Ash Taylor if fit

That would be quite a feat considering he's Welsh.

Do we actually have any strikers in-form at the moment?

Fletcher hasn't done anything for months

Rhodes won't get called up regardless

Naismith's team is really struggling

Suppose could give Johnny Russell a start against Northern Ire and see how he does. Not exactly full of confidence that we'll rack up a 5-0 against Gilbraltar though!

Ash Taylor

That would be quite a feat considering he's Welsh.

He is eligible to play for Scotland though, and has already been in the papers saying he'd love a call up.

He's overrated though.

I wouldn't call up Mark Reynolds either at the moment, he's had a really poor season. Aberdeen's defence has been talked up because they went so many games without conceding, but it really is nowhere as strong as you might think.

If any Aberdeen defender deserves a call-up it's Andrew Considine. Funnily enough, I think his testimonial is the weekend of the Gibraltar game.

Archived