Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

Jordan Rhodes looks well off colour and seems to have lost his starting place at Blackburn.

Theres a combination of reasons for that.

Manager seems intent on the long ball to Gestede. Doesnt play with wingers that go to the byline and cross the ball in, instead plays central players out wide. Central midfielders he uses are more ball winners than playmakers.

Basically Rhodes has been starved of service all season, his goal return is actually fairly good taking the above into consideration.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That genuinely amazes me

You seen it? If not watch it.

Was a belter before the Poland game. Gibraltar manager geeing it 'Lewandowski will know he's been in a game tomorrow and will remember the name (Gibraltar centre half name) forever'

Lewandowski scored 4

Great behind the scenes documentary

Was a belter before the Poland game. Gibraltar manager geeing it 'Lewandowski will know he's been in a game tomorrow and will remember the name (Gibraltar centre half name) forever'

Lewandowski scored 4

Link mate?

GMS and Armstrong have done well since going to Celtic and 1 or both will probably get a call up.

Gauld is another that i would have in the squad especially for the NI game.

Marshall/Gordon

Hutton Russell Hanley Robertson

Brown Morrison/fletcher

GMS/Russell Naismith Anya

Fletcher.

Fletcher hasn't been scoring a lot of goals however.

Lot of pace in that team going forward.

GMS and Armstrong have done well since going to Celtic and 1 or both will probably get a call up.

Gauld is another that i would have in the squad especially for the NI game.

Marshall/Gordon

Hutton Russell Hanley Robertson

Brown Morrison/fletcher

GMS/Russell Naismith Anya

Fletcher.

Fletcher hasn't been scoring a lot of goals however.

Lot of pace in that team going forward.

Good team. No Maloney though?

Maloney is a bit of a Kris Commons. Can pull something brilliant out the bag.

The combination infront of Brown and Morrison can vary a lot and still stay exciting.

Maloney

Naismith

Anya

Snodgrass when fit

GMS

Armstrong

Russell

Morrison if Mulgrew/McArthur/Fletcher play next to Brown

Dorrans

Bryson

Bannan

Are all really good options to play in that 3.

When I started going in about 2004 as a 12 year old I remember thinking to myself 'what players would manage to play for us' 'dunno how bad he will do' 'worrying having to play him there might get away with it'..

:lol:

But now we have genuine good options everywhere apart from maybe Centre half. 3 great goalies, quality young left back, great options in midfield and good strikers to pick from. Although I dunno what we will do when Hutton/Bardsley and Martin retire. Can't think of any good young centre halfs or right backs coming through.

The squad selection policy should be the same as it always is - as close to our strongest as possible. If you've got a training camp and a friendly, by all means call up a few wildcards, but this is not the time to be doing that. I've always said we should have our core squad we always call up when available. In a squad of 25, pick around 20 absolute certainties, leaving you three "wildcard" spots, and then a couple of spots for young players to introduce them to the squad. It doesn't matter who we're playing, we need to be winning all the games we play, and we can't start throwing in completely untested players.

Oh, and I'm personally hoping that Chris Martin is nowhere near the squad. If he is, then this is surely his best chance to do something. He's looked hopeless whenever I've seen him.

Martin looks good for Derby. For Scotland he has looked so fucking slow and immobile though. His touch and play when he has the ball has been poor too. Hope he starts performing for us if he is going to constantly be in the squad. I'd prefer Rhodes personally

Can definitely see Reynolds getting his first cap in this double-header. In Strachan's BBC interview he talked about trying to give a game to people that have been coming away for so long without getting any minutes.

Can definitely see Reynolds getting his first cap in this double-header. In Strachan's BBC interview he talked about trying to give a game to people that have been coming away for so long without getting any minutes.

Reynolds just gets taken as the token sheep player so angry Dons fans don't headhunt WGS

No fannying about with the starting XI for the Gibraltar game. By all means, for the NI game give Reynolds or Gauld a starting place but for qualification matches, and I know it's against a really terrible team, we should be playing a starting XI that has proven to win games. I keep thinking about Leichtenstein and I don't want that to happen again, no messing about and 3 points is what's needed.

Lewandowski scored 4

Was tempted to watch it but put on Mike Bassett:England Manager instead, wanted something half serious to watch tbh

I think Strachan will call up player in Scotland squad face N.Ireland and Gibraltar be

Scotland squad

keeper

Marshall (Cardiff City)

McGregor (Hull City)

Gordon (Celtic)

Defender

Reynold (Aberdeen)

Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Cooper (Leeds)

Hanley (Blackburn Rover)

Martin (Norwich City)

Roberston (Hull City)

Forsyth (Derby)

Bardsley(Stoke)

Palmer (Sheff Wed) or Hutton (Aston Villa)

Midfielder:

Fletcher (WBA)

Morrison (WBA)

Jack (Aberdeen)

Armstrong (Celtic)

Mackay-Steven (Celtic)

Boyd (Burnley)

Mowatt (Leeds)

Brown (Celtic)

Cairney (Blackburn)

Anya (Waltford)

MacLeod (Brentford)

McArthur (Crystal Palace)

Striker

Griffith (Celtic)

Naismith (Everton)

May (Sheff Wed)

Rnodes (Blackburn)

Martin (Derby)

Apparently the third man of match award in a row for Tony Watt. Outstanding again tonight according to Charlton fans. Just type Tony Watt into Twitter and go to all tweets to see what the fans are saying about him.

Haven't seen the video but apparantly he kept the ball in the corner for a solid 2 mins in injury time to run down clock with some showboating and ball retention before finally being hacked down.

Would be great if he can keep up form and fulfil his early potential

Looks like he's been putting on some show tonight

I'd get him in the squad, done more than May already in that league

May will be in League 1 or 2 or back in Scotland season after next. Watt has to be ahead of him.

I can see us starting without Fletcher up front in these games. Either Naismith up top with someone in behind or someone else, unsure on whether Fletcher has justified a starting place after the past 6 months of football for Sunderland, lacking both goals and game time.

I can see us starting without Fletcher up front in these games. Either Naismith up top with someone in behind or someone else, unsure on whether Fletcher has justified a starting place after the past 6 months of football for Sunderland, lacking both goals and game time.

Agreed. He's a gifted player, but he's very much off-form. Bring him on if we need to change things, but let the guys that look hungry start.

Archived