East Stirlingshire -vs- Queen's Park

With Stenhousemuir playing away at Brechin, I'm going to head along to this. Queen's Park end, of course.

I've seen the Shire a couple of times over the course of the season but this will be the first time I've seen QP since they beat Clyde in January. I was at the meeting between both sides in October, when the Spiders won 3-1, and I'm hoping tomorrow's match as enjoyable as that.

Post all thoughts on the match in this thread.

Every game for us is massive now in terms of the title so 3 points in this game is obviously required to keep the pressure on the others who have the games in hand. The last game v Shire at Airdrie was very comfortable but they've had a couple of good results recently so I expect there won't be much in it tomorrow

If Rooney is out then that's a blow but Mitchell has done pretty well when called upon. He doesn't have the same pace or height but he's shown a willingness to get forward and has created a couple of goals doing just that in recent weeks. Hopefully McElroy will start as well. McPherson did great last week when he replaced Moore - who looked a bit out of sorts - but I'd stick with Moore. The formation we played last in the first half didn't really help him, let's get McElroy attacking their full backs and hopefully getting some decent supply in.

Well done to East Stirlingshire, they clearly deserved all three points today.

Closing down our players, first to the ball, good passing and making themselves available.

Again, we were ineffective.

Good goal from Berry...he had to take a chance from distance, as I couldn't see a goal coming from any other route (including the penalty spot).

Hopefully we will find a run of form again, but we need to sort out our defence. If we can show the same attacking form we showed for ten minutes in the second half, and get our defence playing the way they were a few months ago, we can challnge again (and 'take one game at a time'?).

If we are going to play Moore we need to play someone up beside him he looked lost today . It looked to me woods did not want him to take spot kick and he was proved right . Gus should have made changes earlier and I also think we are short of midfield players . What is Burns actual position anyway ?

Delighted with the result and performance today. We looked hungry for the result, and despite a tense period in the second half, controlled the game.

Was very impressed by Brisbane, who has gone from being seemingly useless at the start of the season to one of our top players in recent games. Also a great performance by the Partick on loan youth who had no fear.

And to think we've still got Max Wright to throw into the mix!

Another frustrating performance from Q.P.. I fully realise that I should be thankful for our position in the league (before anyone starts) and how things have been turned round from last season (before anyone starts) BUT there seems to be a lack of urgency and desire about our play at the moment which unless addressed will leave us licking our wounds after losing out on another play-off failure.

Shire looked far hungrier than us and deserved their win.

Moore's penalty miss and rather lack lustre play should be enough to see him on the bench for next week's game (why was McPherson not on from the start --- he proved himself against Berwick?) and please can we have Bryan Wharton back in the starting line up as the defence does not seem anywhere near as tight without him.

Very difficult to take any plus points from that game today, unless the gaffer sees the same negatives as the rest of us, which should result in much needed changes next week.

McGregor may be team captain but he is simply pish just now, cost us 2 goals today, 1 against Berwick, 1 against Elgin, bring back Bryan Wharton.

Moore very ineffective in our style of play, he's very laboured and in running to grab the ball for the penalty it was his fastest move all day, then showed petulance in not giving the ball to the more experienced Woods. Club rule between players if you win the penalty then you have 1st option in taking it. Should start with Archie next week.

Burns just fell over every time someone went close to him, refused to use his right foot, so not very effective in the middle of the park and his passing play was off also, give him a week on the bench to give him his hunger back, see Miller replacing him next week.

Hynes would have been my last sub on, would have put on u20 player Gregor Wylie instead.

A couple of points I noted is when Miller is missing the midfield definitely fall flat, also we missed overlapping runs on the right provided by Rooney, although Mitchell did okay and was one of the very few with plus marks.

Just had another thought, why was Quinn giving Muir pelters at the 3rd goal, was it not his man that got in front of him to score

Fair to say any visitor to the game who knew neither team and that QP played in black and white could easily have believed that Shire were topping the table and vice versa. Close pressing from the word go and easily maintained for the whole game saw us well beaten. Well into the second half before we started to reach our potential but the third goal canned any ambitions and the match stumbled to a close. Woods again MotM although Berry looks close to best again and might nudge it with a belter of a goal, despite the Shire announcer's ineptitude claiming otherwise. Burns' continues his weekly routine of completely underachieving. At the risk of upsetting my good friend Mr Diehard, Fraser's contribution was again almost non-existent. Sorry HD, I just don't get it.

News to me about any in-house rule about penalties; Quinn was a regular kicker last year. In-form Woods wanted it and was brushed aside by his lumpier colleague. Seemed to me the only rule in place was the Greedy b*****d Striker rule. There were a few times when Moore had better options open and played the selfish card, most notably in the second when McIlroy made a pacy break to his right and a decent pass from Moore would have had McIlroy within shooting range but instead Moore played it wide left to allow himself time to get into the box. Not what winning teams want.

Third goal. 1v1 attacker/defender. Biggest guy on the park out-muscled and took second prize. End of. Dry yer eyes Tony.

Good luck to Shire. This league is, as many forecast at the start of the season, without a runaway winner and it seems likely that performances by all will be up and down like a whoors knickers. Not sure if the top 3 are slipping or the rest are just getting going but on yesterday's events it's going to be a fun run to the end.

Any comment on the first goal?

'Misplaced' hoof up the park from the Team Captain full of experience (my arse) now cost us 4 goals in 4 games, straight to one of there players, who controls it and sends a delightful ball between the 2 lumbering buffoons in the central defence that always seem 30 yards apart (minimum), both beaten for pace by Nesbitt that a granny on a Zimmer frame would do well not to beat, then swiftly dispatched the ball into the goal without over complicating the issue.

Any comment on the first goal?

I think it was for Shire and I didn't see anyone blaming a teammate for their own mistakes/poor play. Ruggie68 seems to have it covered in detail.

PS-two wrongs don't make a right

PPS-super sliding tackle by Quinn to block a goal-bound shot

Archived