The Wheels Coming Off Derby - Gers v Vers, 28th Feb

You can feel the tension building for this one. The great disappointers vs the crash and burners.

With mind-bending predictability, the stunning win over Arbroath and hard fought cup victory against Spartans has been followed by two narrow losses to QP and Elgin, both games which we should have won. The last six words of the preceding sentence should be engraved on the headstone marking the death of our playoff ambitions for this campaign. It already feels like we should be building for next season. Colin Cameron has done well to sign up four (so far) of the best players in the squad for 15/15, and with (hopefully) a healthy wedge of the cup run cash burning a hole in his pocket, is planning some signings which will actually have us challenging for honours next season rather than teasing the fringes of the playoffs before wilting pathetically after Christmas.

Bald

Jacobs Young Fairbairn Drummond

Willis Notman (if fit) Miller Gray

Lavery Gold

2-1 to somebody or other.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God knows how I'd feel without the cup run, but even with it this seems close to last chance saloon. Lose and we are looking at a bottom 3 dog fight with rose and shire. Win and we'll get all irrationally optimistic again.

1-1 draw then. With only 35 long range efforts flying miles over the bar.

Bald

Fairbairn Young Notman

Gray Cameron Miller Willis Drummond

Lavery Gold.

With our entire first-choice back four finally set to play together again, I can only envision improvements at the back. Perhaps they'll instil some confidence in Neil Parry also.

To win games you need to score goals- and the best chance of getting those is by fielding the McKenzie, Chaplain, McGuigan trio, and John Gemmell causing problems in front of them.

God knows how I'd feel without the cup run, but even with it this seems close to last chance saloon. Lose and we are looking at a bottom 3 dog fight with rose and shire. Win and we'll get all irrationally optimistic again.

1-1 draw then. With only 35 long range efforts flying miles over the bar.

Bald

Fairbairn Young Notman

Gray Cameron Miller Willis Drummond

Lavery Gold.

I would actually love to see Cameron choose this team and formation! Can't see it though, doesn't have the balls to drop Currie and Jacobs.

Dear me. Imagine if we weren't in the last 8 of the Scottish Cup, and faced being a week or two from 9th position?

That was a performance of monumental inadequacy and can't be justified by cup nerves.

A few players are self motivated - Young Notman Fairbairn - others need a supportive manager to get the best out of them (otherwise, not much point in having a manager at all.)

So, when Drummond, Jacobs, Maxwell, Gray, Russell etc etc are worse than ever before, you need to look at the qualities of the Manager.

I don't think even Jimmy Thompson would stand for the disinterested, half-arsed shite we saw today

Rovers out played a berwick team who looked like their heads were at another game. 2 goals scored but could have been 4 or 5 with the woodwork coming to the rescue for berwick a few times. Also a few good saves from the berwick goalie who was named official man of the match.

Rovers dominated midfield with the return of the gaffer Darren Young. He was the difference for us in my opinion, battling everything and put his foot on the ball when needed.

More performances like that needed!

Berwick's season cuts a parallel with Rovers last year. Decent unexpected cup run to Qtr finals and a lucrative televised away tie to opposition from a higher league. I predict a controversial draw, a replay defeat and a season that fizzles out to be a disappointment with CC having his contract extended and shortly thereafter terminated. Meanwhile Rovers to benefit from Darren Young's return to the midfield and go on to finish as strong champions.

I'd be impressed with CC now if only we heard some angry words from him. All the anger has to come from the fans, then some apologist nob comes on here saying we are all negative and unhelpful.

Well feck off. Today was beyond scandalous.

The last chance opportunity to show some passion and managerial nous was today. CC failed miserably and doesn't deserve the media attention he'll get this week.

I'd be happy if he just fecked off tonight.

Four defeats in ostensibly easier games, and we then get back on track in a supposedly more difficult game. There's really no predicting Rovers.

That was a very good performance today, and I totally agree with Paul that Darren Young made the difference. He was excellent in calming the game down, especially when Davidson was panicking beside him; I'd love to see stats on how many passes that laddie fails to complete, all easy 5 yard stuff too.

The formation was altered a bit today and looked 4-3-2-1 to me, with Fisher level with Davidson and Young; a narrow two of Ferns and Love in front and the excellent McGuigan as the fulcrum of the attack. It was a smashing goal that big Mark scored holding off a couple of Berwick defenders and getting the ball down for a smart finish. The defence looked more comfortable too, even with the increased onus on the full backs to provide the width, although it has to be said Berwick didn't offer much.

So we finally have the league leader monkey off our back, have signed a good addition to the squad in Ferns, and apparently have two loanees on the way next week. Things are finally looking up in Roversland.

Archived