Anglo-Scottish Cup to Return?

HibeeJibee

I might be away with the fairies here BUT...

I'd like to see The Lancashire Scottish Cup.

So all the teams in Lancashire, ok the big 4 Man City, Everton, Liverpool & man utd would probably only enter a 2nd/youth team. But the likes of Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Preston NE. Rochdale, Bury, Accrington S, Morecambe, Oldham, Blackpool, Tranmere Rovers. Have I missed any?

Versus

The top 16 Scottish clubs that fancy it.

Anyway 16 from Lanc's vs 16 Scottish teams in a knockout comp, the draw would have the 1st S team home vs the 1st L team, then it would be the turn of the next L team at home & so on.

I realize the next round might be a little out of kilter with either more S or L teams progressing but hopefully that would sort itself out by the quarterfinals. So if there's say 9 S teams thru then obviously the last 2 S teams would have to play each other.

If all the S or L teams get knocked out in round 1 then it's been fun & the comp then is purely S or L teams competing for the Cup & then aye I'm definitely away with the fairies.

But the best bit the final to be held at Blackpool.

Yes I can see a couple of pitfalls but I'm sure you clever fellows can help iron them out.

It's far easier getting to Blackpool than Bournemouth & Scottish money is the local currency too.

A jolly boys & girls outing whoever makes the final eh?

Take me away now.

Grimbo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grim, I'm already at the asylum so i'll have a go...

I'd have a team from each division (Scottish Premiership, Scottish Championship, English Championship, English League One) in groups of 4, to be hosted by a club from each division.

The four teams would play each other once: they'd play at 6pm and 8pm on the Friday, and at lunchtime and 3pm on the Saturday and the Sunday (e.g. weekend of Sat 11th July this year). It would give clubs the chance to use their full squads over a weekend, in a sort of summer festival of football.

For example, weekend of Fri 10th, Sat 11th, Sun 12th July 2015:

Rugby Park Deepdale Easter Road Riverside

Kilmarnock Dundee Utd St.Johnstone Dundee

Sheff Wed Blackburn Leeds Utd Middlesbrough

Hearts Alloa Hibernian Rangers

Sheff Utd Preston Bradford Doncaster

The host club would play in the 8pm Friday match; the bottom two teams would play in the earlier weekend kick-offs.

The group winners would qualify to play mid-week semis and with a final the following weekend, with it pre-decided that the winners of two of the groups host their semis.

Clubs could be invited to participate based on their previous league position, with the invitation dropping to the next club down if there was a refusal, or some other method. It wouldn't aim to be any kind of elite competition, just something a bit more competitive and interesting (?) than friendlies.

And I'd only invite English clubs from about the M62 north to keep the travelling distances down for everyone.

If it doesn't work, bin it.

There is a (generally quite sarcastic and light-hearted) piece about bringing back 'the Texaco Cup' in today's Scotland on Sunday. It includes quotes from the promoting agency for the Capital One Cup who says he thinks there would be a market for a tournament between top Scottish and lower-level English clubs, provided OF were guaranteed places.

I might be away with the fairies here BUT...

I'd like to see The Lancashire Scottish Cup.

So all the teams in Lancashire, ok the big 4 Man City, Everton, Liverpool & man utd would probably only enter a 2nd/youth team. But the likes of Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Preston NE. Rochdale, Bury, Accrington S, Morecambe, Oldham, Blackpool, Tranmere Rovers. Have I missed any?

Versus

The top 16 Scottish clubs that fancy it.

Anyway 16 from Lanc's vs 16 Scottish teams in a knockout comp, the draw would have the 1st S team home vs the 1st L team, then it would be the turn of the next L team at home & so on.

I realize the next round might be a little out of kilter with either more S or L teams progressing but hopefully that would sort itself out by the quarterfinals. So if there's say 9 S teams thru then obviously the last 2 S teams would have to play each other.

If all the S or L teams get knocked out in round 1 then it's been fun & the comp then is purely S or L teams competing for the Cup & then aye I'm definitely away with the fairies.

But the best bit the final to be held at Blackpool.

Yes I can see a couple of pitfalls but I'm sure you clever fellows can help iron them out.

It's far easier getting to Blackpool than Bournemouth & Scottish money is the local currency too.

A jolly boys & girls outing whoever makes the final eh?

Take me away now.

Grimbo

And Bournemouth isn't in Lancashire, so Blackpool makes more sense. (Where's it played if Blackpool make the final - Morecambe?)

We could also have the Lanarkshire FA Cup. The top teams in Lanarkshire versus the top teams in England.

That idea maybe needs a bit of work, tbh...

And Bournemouth isn't in Lancashire, so Blackpool makes more sense. (Where's it played if Blackpool make the final - Morecambe?)

We could also have the Lanarkshire FA Cup. The top teams in Lanarkshire versus the top teams in England.

That idea maybe needs a bit of work, tbh...

What about Blackburn United vs Blackburn Rovers?

Or what about theTransplant Cup?

Hearts vs LIVERpool?

Grimbo

Ps. Inverness to Bournemouth 612 miles. Inverness to Blackpool 351 miles.

I suppose it could depend on the format. If you took the 8 Scottish Premiership club which hadn't qualified for Europe, and the 8 EFL Championship clubs not promoted to EPL, there'd be some attractive names on both sides.

E.g. for 2014-15:

Dundee Utd v Notts Forest

Inverness v Bournemouth

Ross County v Ipswich

St Mirren v Blackburn

Kilmarnock v Reading

Partick v Brighton

Hibs/Dundee v Wigan

Hearts/Hamilton v Derby

Apart from United v forest and hearts v Derby they all look shite.

According to today's Scotsman, the FL is interested, but there are feelings Championship clubs will want to focus on promotion to EPL and existing cups.

Question is therefore whether to press ahead, potentially with FL League One teams, or drop the concept.

• 1 month later...

The English Championship clubs already play a ridiculous amount of games. 46 league games, plus two cups, and of course play-offs for some.

I'm guessing the lack of talk of this idea since, and the chat that summer football is being considered, means this is now dead in the water anyway.

I'm convinced Neil Doncaster's grand plan is to one day merge the Scottish and English leagues though.

The English Championship clubs already play a ridiculous amount of games. 46 league games, plus two cups, and of course play-offs for some.

I'm guessing the lack of talk of this idea since, and the chat that summer football is being considered, means this is now dead in the water anyway.

I'm convinced Neil Doncaster's grand plan is to one day merge the Scottish and English leagues though.

Why would he do that? He'd be lucky to get the jannies job.

I wouldn't mind it as some kind of pre-season competition. Better than watching shite friendlies.

The problem though is English clubs and supporters aren't the slightest bit interested in Scottish football so it is never going to get off the ground.

Archived