Alloa v Hibs

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what team/formation Barry puts out. The team were excellent against Cowdenbeath and so I can't see many changes to that starting eleven. I do think that we'll drop either Roberts or Layne and shore up the midfield (with Holmer favourite to come in, but Tiff maybe getting the nod as he will feel he has something to prove and has good pace). We might not though and we may just have a real go.

I would agree with that approach. The attacking team named at QoS and at Cowden did well but Hibs are a different proposition and I think we will need to keep it a bit tighter, an approach which has served us well in the home games against the bigger teams so far. I thought Layne worked his socks off against Cowden but it was a tough gig for him against their defence and he didn't hold the ball up too much, he looks like the kind of player more suited to running onto a through ball. I would give Liam the gig as the main striker here with Cawley and Roberts tasked with getting up to support him. Holmer or Simmons if he is fit to come in and shore up the midfield. If we're still in with a shout with 20 mins to go then give Isaac a chance to come on and try and get in behind.

The decent performances against the bigger teams have been built on pressing them and keeping it tight for as long as possible. The only time things went badly wrong was the second Hearts game where we started off too open and found ourselves 2-0 down early on. We'll need to avoid that and to take any chances when they come along here to have a chance. Very tough but having beaten Hibs already and pushed them close in the cup - if Cawley had scored that great chance immediately after we went ahead we would have been well placed that day too - there is some hope. A point would be a great result.

We now have more attacking options than before but Spence came on for 11 mins last week and managed to miss two sitters in that time. Some may say he was unlucky but he missed them. I have focused on him for a few weeks now and feel that he effectively reduces us to ten men. Maybe after last week he will be further down the pecking order.

Archived