Dumbarton v Queen of the South

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I right in thinking that there is no advantage to being either 3rd or 4th, on the grounds that if you do manage to beat 2nd top in this league, and 2nd bottom from the Upper league, to get there you have to play six games anyway?

Perhaps you should aim for 2nd. Ambitious, but not unachievable for you.

To be fair, 3rd is ambitious. Hibs have got better as the season has gone on and Id be a lot less confident of being able to go to Easter Road, our only game left against them, and getting a result than I am about beating Rangers home and away.

Both would have to drop a fair amount of points for us to have a chance of finishing second, which I just cant see happening. One of them (ie Rangers) maybe, but not both

We are only playing for 4th place realistically - and I suspect that this is going to be some scrap with our friends from Falkirk.

Vital that we do well against teams outwith top 3 as I suspect that any points picked up from so called big 3 will become bonus points in the run in. Will be surprised if Rangers dont go on a mazy run between now and end of season and we still have to play the Edinburgh teams twice away in final quarter.

We have Falkirk at home though and that is shaping up as a big match in addition to forthcoming cup tie.

If we could win the game in hand at Raith that would be a massive result especially with our superior goal difference.

We are only playing for 4th place realistically - and I suspect that this is going to be some scrap with our friends from Falkirk.

Vital that we do well against teams outwith top 3 as I suspect that any points picked up from so called big 3 will become bonus points in the run in. Will be surprised if Rangers dont go on a mazy run between now and end of season and we still have to play the Edinburgh teams twice away in final quarter.

We have Falkirk at home though and that is shaping up as a big match in addition to forthcoming cup tie.

If we could win the game in hand at Raith that would be a massive result especially with our superior goal difference.

I don't really want to talk about Rangers in this thread but what makes you think they'll go a run till the end of the season? They're an absolute mess and have been staggering through games for months now. McDowell certainly isn't going to inspire a run, I reckon I could fart out a more inspiring team talk than him. Whilst you'd expect Rangers to win their games in hand, it's no given and if I was a Queens fan I'd be quietly confident of at least pushing Rangers all the way.

As for ourselves, reading about Hacksaw it seems he's not at all unlike Jim Lister - strong, fast, can get himself goals if he's given service in the box and brings others into play. We still have the same midfield available to us that fed Lister so well, albeit a few have issues. I'd be looking to replicate our style with Lister in the team as much as possible but I fear we'll persist with a narrow, uncreative style and concede many goals. Optimistic's suggestion of having Petrie and CT in defensive midfield may be a decent one though, it would mean 4-5-1 but if Petrie and CT just sit in there and Agnew, Gils and Mitch get forward to support Hacksaw/Fleming it could work.

Rangers didnt exacly stagger through the away match at Raith - they should have won it by about 6-1.

I dont want to talk about Rangers either but the ealier thread was debating whether Queens could catch Rangers and realistically with their games in hand and no involvement in Scottish Cup to distract them it would take a monumental effort from us to get close. Cant see it but delighted to be proved wrong.

We have a tough enough assignment at your place on Saturday and while we have a good recent record there I expect another very tough match.

Rangers didnt exacly stagger through the away match at Raith - they should have won it by about 6-1.

I dont want to talk about Rangers either but the ealier thread was debating whether Queens could catch Rangers and realistically with their games in hand and no involvement in Scottish Cup to distract them it would take a monumental effort from us to get close. Cant see it but delighted to be proved wrong.

We have a tough enough assignment at your place on Saturday and while we have a good recent record there I expect another very tough match.

Fair enough. Nothing to fear from them though. I can only hope we make it a tough match for you, it'll be more than we've done for weeks.

I don't really want to talk about Rangers in this thread but what makes you think they'll go a run till the end of the season? They're an absolute mess and have been staggering through games for months now. McDowell certainly isn't going to inspire a run, I reckon I could fart out a more inspiring team talk than him. Whilst you'd expect Rangers to win their games in hand, it's no given and if I was a Queens fan I'd be quietly confident of at least pushing Rangers all the way.

This. Of course, a lot depends on what happens at the EGM. If King gets in then you'd expect them to pick up enough to secure third comfortably.

The big talking point is how do we shoehorn Russell into the side, he loves a goal against Dumbarton.

I like playing the 3-4-2-1 but I think the maverick formations could be improved further by playing Derek Lyle as a false 9 in a 3-7 formation. :P

The big talking point is how do we shoehorn Russell into the side, he loves a goal against Dumbarton.

Stick him in goals. We won't get any shots on target anyway and I've never seen a keeper score against us.

Archived