Alcohol at the football

Should football fans have the choice of having an alcoholic drink at the game?   

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question, should the law be changed to allow football fans the option of enjoying an alcoholic drink while watching the game?

For me the answer is yes, no doubt. it's a ridiculous draconian law that serves no real purpose in this day and age.

I don't think it's unreasonable to allow someone to enjoy a beer at the game, we're not talking about opening up a pub inside the stadium open for hours selling spirits and shot or allowing fans to pitch up with a carry out.

We'd probably be talking about beer served in a plastic cup and a small wine, and unless you've never had a drink in your life, the chances of you getting drunk would be slim to zero.

I know people will say "what about the Celtic Rangers game, you want to add alcohol to that" which funnily enough people who are against the ban, generally have never been to a game, and that is the only game they can pick out. Or they seem to believe the majority of uncontrollable hooligans living in the 70s still, Or fellow football fans more interested in finger pointing than having a discussion

I would agree in the short term, for high profile games such as the above, keep it the way it is,

What I can't get my head around is why fans tonight at Firhill are not allowed to have a drink while watching the game.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst it would be a welcome thing, I highly doubt we'd be like the leagues in Germany where people pass the beers along the row until it reaches the person who ordered it. The chance of someone drinking it, most likely teenagers trying to prove themselves in front of their mates, is almost guaranteed.

However, would I like to be able to come back from the concessions with a pie in one hand and a beer in the other? Absolutely.

Agree with keeping it away from the higher profile games where it could cause violence to happen though.

Like the smoking plan Hibs launched at Easter Road, I would like to see it at least trialled at certain games

I agree 100 percent with your opinion on the subject.

Getting pints at Scotland away games were very enjoyable.

Keep them away from derbies though. Already get good atmospheres etc at Derbys anyway but drink at your regular games should improve the overall atmosphere, attract people who would normally just sit in a pub and also probably help clubs with a little extra profit.

I'm already up and down like a yo yo and that's without people being bevvied on pints.

Don't see why people can't take a 90 minute break from shitty lager.

It's not about people needing to drink, it's about people having the option of a drink.

I'm already up and down like a yo yo and that's without people being bevvied on pints. Don't see why people can't take a 90 minute break from shitty lager.

Because people enjoy a drink at the weekend, the option should be there just like how it is around Europe.

I would like to say yes for my own entertainment as i can handle it and wouldn't abuse the system but it will carry obvious problems

Advantages

Make the games far more enjoyable for most fans

Brings more money from sales

Will more than likely improve attendances

Provide a better atmosphere

Disadvantages

Will make attending the games more of a piss up and it might end up like the darts

Bad example for the young footballing enthusiasts

Increased stewarding and policing likely

Large games, Scotland games and old firm games in particular will obviously be harder to control

Fans may miss large parts of the game waiting on getting served

People may poo in the cups and throw them at opposition supporters and players alike

Litter

Conclusions

A nice idea in theory and i would love it but probably won't happen due to the amount of people living in the past

It would have happened by now it it wasn't for the ugly sisters.

As with everything regarding Scottish football, they've ruined it for the rest of us.

It would have happened by now it it wasn't for the ugly sisters.

As with everything regarding Scottish football, they've ruined it for the rest of us.

Definitely. Would say most supporters have moved on and we are a civilised bunch who should be allowed to drink at a public event should we chose to.

I doubt it would be a problem at an Edinburgh or Dundee derby

I would like to say yes for my own entertainment as i can handle it and wouldn't abuse the system but it will carry obvious problems

Advantages

Make the games far more enjoyable for most fans

Brings more money from sales

Will more than likely improve attendances

Provide a better atmosphere

Disadvantages

Will make attending the games more of a piss up and it might end up like the darts - it's not like the darts in any other countless number of countries, why would it be purely a piss up here?

Bad example for the young footballing enthusiasts - :lol: when I was a kid I was dragged around every pub possible before the football by my dad. If it was really an issue clubs could sell it outwith the family sections of grounds.

Increased stewarding and policing likely - Can't really see him fans fighting with each other tbh. Matches are segregated. Few extra polis maybe but nothing substantial.

Large games, Scotland games and old firm games in particular will obviously be harder to control - Not any problems even in Wembley last year for a Scotland v England game 80,000. No problem in Warsaw (60,000) or Dortmund either (70,000) not sure what would be different here.

Fans may miss large parts of the game waiting on getting served - just like they might miss it queuing on a pie?

People may poo in the cups and throw them at opposition supporters and players alike - could already happen, cups are still served from the shop. No difference.

Litter - That happens regardless.

Of course we should be allowed a drink.

In England fans at Man United vs Liverpool or Chelsea vs Arsenal for example can get a drink at half time, but in Scotland fans at St Mirren vs Partick Thistle or Inverness vs Dundee can't get a drink. There is simply no logic in that. Get drink back at the football, the positives heavily outweigh the negatives.

Disadvantages

Will make attending the games more of a piss up and it might end up like the darts

(Nothing wrong with that, just people having fun.)

Bad example for the young footballing enthusiasts

(Really? Having an innocent beer at the football is a bad example?)

Increased stewarding and policing likely

(Again, really? People aren't going to get steaming at the game, they'll either be steaming before or after.)

Large games, Scotland games and old firm games in particular will obviously be harder to control

(See above.)

Fans may miss large parts of the game waiting on getting served

(Well that's their choice.)

People may poo in the cups and throw them at opposition supporters and players alike

:lol:

Litter

(Non issue. Instead of coke cups lying around there'll be beer cups.)

Just my take on things, probably again just thinking what people would assume might happen but probably won't in practice! Apart from the pooling part which is a stick on to happen most fixtures

How will drinking a few pints of gnat's pish out a scabby plastic cup improve the atmosphere? I'd be more likely to leave or not bother at all. It's the perception, right or wrong, that football is shite that stops people going.

You're not going to lose custom by selling beer, you're only ever going to increase custom by offering the novelty.

Agreed, would keep it to lager or heavy only though. Spirits or wine could cause things to escalate very quickly!

I think though if it was handled properly it would be a great earner for the clubs and a large number of fans would welcome it.

How will drinking a few pints of gnat's pish out a scabby plastic cup improve the atmosphere? I'd be more likely to leave or not bother at all. It's the perception, right or wrong, that football is shite that stops people going.

Might help people get/stay a wee bit more drunk/tipsy and loosen off a bit. When people are drunk/tipsy at events it usually creates a better atmosphere. Simple as that really.

What has that to do with continueing the blanket ban of selling alcohol though?

Archived