Fixtures for Saturday 31st Jan

Kennie

At least give it a go & if it doesn't work at least it was tried

Anything has to be better than this absolute farce every other week

LADESIDE

At the start of January the fixtures man published fixtures for 3 weeks in advance - and it fell apart due to the weather and the Scottish taking precedence over everything else. If it falls apart in 3 weeks, what chance is there of getting it to work over a longer period? Zero.

Like my fellow Ladeside supporters on here, I think the fixtures man is incompetent - but with all the current constraints (which have been listed by others) I think it is impossible to produce fixtures for a few weeks in advance in the winter. We can't control the weather, but we should try to change the things we can change to make it easier to set fixures in the winter.

As I have said on previous threads, the Scottish Cup is the problem. Currently it takes precedence over everything else - causing havoc in the winter with postponements as well as replays. We could abandon replays, but I think this would devalue the competition. If the Scottish started early (ideally, for me, with the first round seeded and regionalised), rounds 1-3 could be completed by mid November. Then have a winter break for the Scottish and have round 4 at the start of March. Alternatively play the Scottish through the winter as now, BUT with fixed dates on which Scottish ties can be played leaving some weeks free for league fixtures only. These league fixtures could be set well in advance if there are guaranteed to be no Scottish ties or replays on these dates.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed that the Scottish cup should take priority fixture wise but if its still such a high priority then why doesn't it have even have a sponsor considering that it creates havoc to our leagues when the call offs happen.

Yup make it a priority but be consistent and at least get it sponsored .

What's your thoughts on that kennie????

I see that the fixtures table generated by that site only give you a suggested order of games rather than trying to tie down dates as well. And doesn't take into account cup competitions buggering things slightly.

What I was trying to show was the games could be organised like this then put the dates in for set times in the season. Yes due to postponements etc it would need tweaking over the season but it would be a good base to start off from

A know a moan about fixtures man a lot but I just feel that he doesn't do himself any favours

LADESIDE

Back in the day you had Scottish,West,Ayrshire,Jackie Cups all going to replays,even a 2nd replay...no way could it be done then.Impossible.

Now there is only the Scottish...and that not the weather is the problem.We don't have undersoil heating, we don't have lights for midweek replays...the Scottish should NOT be played during Winter months...play rounds earlier,play them later but don't play them when the chances of a backlog developing is at it's highest.

If we are saying that nothing can be done then even contemplating a East/West merger is absurd and quite how a match secretary simply pairing teams together in hope on a Sat night can command the renumeration he receives is ridiculous... bring back auld Matt at least he was an approachable and helpful individual.

I think you are correct saying "the Scottish should NOT be played during the winter months" earlier or later could be an answer. But! This is an annual event where it's not unusual to have two or recently three rounds running at the same time.

I know it is old hat and been flogged for many years. Administration simply refuse to to attempt trying any other method other than the way they have muddled on with for donkeys years. Other method ? Seed major leagues, whittle it down to 64 and start R3 early March. Would do away with so many pointless games, would save clubs cash and bother on a weekly basis when we meet the not unexpected weather we have 2015.

At least 14 games survived yesterday mainly on the west coast and 3g inland. Still lost 64 matches, and of course the Scottish R4 dominates coming weeks.

Season-long fixture lists are a separate discussion. I agree that they are unworkable.

However, back On Topic of "Fixtures for Saturday 31st Jan" :

Fair enough for sides with Junior Cup fixtures now taking precedence. Pairing-up those clubs' intended opponents where possible, rather than leaving them sitting idle on the 31st, and all would call that common sense.

But the Saturday 31st fixture card has been wholesale amended right throughout the divisions. Very strange.

I had mates down in England hearing Newmains United's' plight who made plans to come up for their Saturday 31st fixture to show some support.

Home to Rossvale - top of the table but bizarrely the only team Newmains have beaten this season in what was Rossvale's only league defeat !

Rossvale's Junior Cup tie got decided on the day yesterday.

So (weather permitting) all systems go for Newmains-Rossvale on Saturday 31st, surely.

Then all of a sudden it's Forth v Newmains instead.

It's not as if it's about maximizing use of the shared Petershill 3G, since Petershill were due Home on it and still are (but with a different opponent) and Rossvale are still away, just elsewhere.

What on earth is the point of amendments such as this then?

There are many other examples of baffling changes of fixtures throughout the divisions that have nothing to do with accomodating the Junior Cup games when comparing the Saturday 31st fixture card as it was first announced versus how it is now.

If there is a valid reason, do please enlighten me...

Season long fixture lists DO NOT WORK in the juniors. There are so many factors to consider that make it unworkable. It has been looked at time and time again, but the simple fact is it wont work. It has been done to death on here many many times before and the same conclusion is always reached. It cannot be done.

That's just what we need on the West Committee Kennie.

A "can do" attitude.

A fixture list could work but it would need the season to kick off in July and for midweeks at the start of the season to be utilised for league games and factored in at the end of the season too.

Fixture lists will always be subject to change at any level.

Aye That's what we need. More Midweek games.

Hated by players that struggle to make it for kick off times.

Hated by managers that are denied use of vital players that might not even be available due to work committments.

Hated by committee members that have a pitch to prepare.

Hated by fans that also might not make it.

Hated by Treasurers due to decrease in game incomes.

Hated by Bar managers due to nobody wanting a drink, cos they've got work in the morning.

Hated by sponsors cos they don't want to sponsor a midweek game.

Hated by managers that are denied use of vital players that might not even be available due to work committments.

Hated by Bar managers due to nobody wanting a drink, cos they've got work in the morning.

Agreed that the Scottish cup should take priority fixture wise but if its still such a high priority then why doesn't it have even have a sponsor considering that it creates havoc to our leagues when the call offs happen.

Yup make it a priority but be consistent and at least get it sponsored .

What's your thoughts on that kennie????

For the second time of asking ;)

It is high on the list of priorities of the Scottish Junior FA, but it is becoming increasingly difficult in the current financial circumstances to get someone to commit.

Take a look around the full game and you will find the same scenario at various levels not just the SJFA.

Businesses everywhere are feeling the pinch sponsorships are no longer seen as a necessary expenditure.

All these folk have to get wise. They mosn when there is 4 games a week in April/May.

It's common sense. More likely to get games sponsored if you give them more than a weeks notice. Keep midweek games to local clubs.

Every point you've made are not reasons for a fixture list not working.

I see the argument about not having a fixture list of some kind (whole-season or part-season), because postponed or replayed cup-ties will require fixtures to be rejigged... although a retort would be to move the cup-ties out of the winter months.

However: am I not correct in saying that the entire West Region fixture card issued for January 24th was cancelled at 7 days notice and replaced with the card from January 17th?

And now a week later the card issued for January 31st has been substantially adjusted, again at 7 days notice?

So there's no fixture list - but mass rejigging is happening anyway?

That would seem to be the worst of both worlds - people have the downside of thinking they are home to Club A in a week / fortnight's time then seeing it changed to away to Club B; but, they don't have the upside of longer-term games which are likely to endure.

Worse than just doing things at 7 days notice?

It is high on the list of priorities of the Scottish Junior FA, but it is becoming increasingly difficult in the current financial circumstances to get someone to commit.

Take a look around the full game and you will find the same scenario at various levels not just the SJFA.

Businesses everywhere are feeling the pinch sponsorships are no longer seen as a necessary expenditure.

No I can't agree.

Just about every decent level of semi professional football will have its premium tournament sponsored.

People slate the Ardagh cup in Ayrshire but the original Scarlett cup has never been shy of a sponsor from Kerr & smith to Ardagh but yet the juniors can't get the holy grail sponsored ?

Ask your club treasurer if he likes his local derby matches played midweek.

I was treasurer for several years and we actually got bigger gates for some midweek games. If people want to go then they will, moreso if they can plan it advance.

Cash in the bank in August is much handier than 2-3 months without a home game when there's a bad winter.

No I can't agree.

Just about every decent level of semi professional football will have its premium tournament sponsored.

People slate the Ardagh cup in Ayrshire but the original Scarlett cup has never been shy of a sponsor from Kerr & smith to Ardagh but yet the juniors can't get the holy grail sponsored ?

And your point is?

I see the argument about not having a fixture list of some kind (whole-season or part-season), because postponed or replayed cup-ties will require fixtures to be rejigged... although a retort would be to move the cup-ties out of the winter months.

However: am I not correct in saying that the entire West Region fixture card issued for January 24th was cancelled at 7 days notice and replaced with the card from January 17th?

And now a week later the card issued for January 31st has been substantially adjusted, again at 7 days notice?

So there's no fixture list - but mass rejigging is happening anyway?

That would seem to be the worst of both worlds - people have the downside of thinking they are home to Club A in a week / fortnight's time then seeing it changed to away to Club B; but, they don't have the upside of longer-term games which are likely to endure.

Worse than just doing things at 7 days notice?

Try this then

Three weeks fixtures are planned

Week 1 has Scottish Cup and some league fixtures.

Week 2 has league fixtures including

A v B

C v D

E v F

Week 3 has league fixtures including

B v D

C v E

F v A

With me so far? Ok

Week 1 has 2 postponed Scottish ties involving A and C. Their ties will then be reinstated for week 2.

B and D are then without a game as they are down to play each other in week 3.

Surely we should rejig the remaining teams to give them all a game in week 2? ie –

D v E and F v B

Archived