Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

No way would the Glasgow based players leave...the money and glory is in Ayrshire,always has been.

Really ? So since the start of junior football all the glamour has been down your way? The

Glasgow teams dominated junior Football in the early days and did very well all the way up to the 70s. Since then not so much but Pollok and to an extent arthurlie have carried the flag well.

You ask Irvine Victoria or Ardeer fans, they were buzzing going into a new set up playing new teams from different part of the region, getting away from the same old teams they were used to playing. Every team that gets promoted into super first since it started has relished taking part in the wider geographic league and the challenges it brings.

Football all over is looking to the future yet some on here want to go back twenty or thirty years as if it's going to make all our problems go away.Just my opinion, madness

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone entitled to their opinion on here & I would never criticise anyone for it

But a recurring trend is emerging here with the Ayrshire based fans wanting to go back to the old district leagues whilst the only voices of opposition has been from central based fans

Ayrshire football for as long as I've followed was always the stronger & better supported region & the central teams realised this & preSed certain folk for the merger.

Glasgow based players always came to Ayrshire to play as it was the stronger league & the players had more chance of winning the top prizes , being in the shop window for the seniors & yes getting more cash

Only a few central teams have brought anything like a decent support to the Vale since the leagues merged & teams like LANARK Ashfield & Shotts had basically committee members & that was it

When we played teams like Winton & The Buffs even when they weren't doing well it was easy for their support to come to the Vale as it was on the local transport network so wasn't an issue getting there

You basically need a passport TJ get to places like Shotts & LANARK

LADESIDE

Very little chance of changing minds at Hampden Where Tom Johnstone has a one track objective...Pyramid System.

A lot here in the east have similar thoughts about backtracking to the old system, yet is that wise? The foundations were mainly on a county basis, Faults have been pointed out elsewhere and an example that Shotts and Forth are a few miles from Fauldhouse Harthill and Whitburn while they could land in a central league facing travel to Greenock or Vale of Leven.

Anyone fill in on SFA proposal to start first week in July 2016 with sectional League Cup, with seedings drawn on a local basis.

If that is true read into it 'WINTERSHUTDOWN'. We will still be scrambling around for July friendlies when clubs could be earning cash on a similar set up. Then start up six weeks after seniors in mid-August..

Would anybody care to answer the question in the original post and the point for the thread being originated, i.e. "How does your team's current ranking under this hypothetical system compare with their performance under the old District set-ups and also with your current expectations ?" :whistle

Really ? So since the start of junior football all the glamour has been down your way? The

Glasgow teams dominated junior Football in the early days and did very well all the way up to the 70s. Since then not so much but Pollok and to an extent arthurlie have carried the flag well.

You ask Irvine Victoria or Ardeer fans, they were buzzing going into a new set up playing new teams from different part of the region, getting away from the same old teams they were used to playing. Every team that gets promoted into super first since it started has relished taking part in the wider geographic league and the challenges it brings.

Football all over is looking to the future yet some on here want to go back twenty or thirty years as if it's going to make all our problems go away.Just my opinion, madness

You have to go back a long ways to find a time when Central clubs dominated the West for any significant period.Even when teams like Cambuslang did they has the Medda not far behind or Pollok had Talbot and Buffs.

Never said a wanted to go back only that Ayrshire clubs do not need Central clubs,there is more than enough competition in the region and the financial rewards promised have never materialized in the Superleague.

Why would you want to go back the way? personally i'd do away with the district leagues and go all in West Region rather than return to two separate districts. It would freshen things up for the teams in the district leagues who by and large play the same teams year in year out.

Is this not the same idea that was proposed by Ants,voted through then Robertson vetoed it ?.

There should be no district leagues,it was a compromise at the time when the old regions were disbanded,Lugar (Kennie) voted against the scrapping of the AJFA. Ayrshire have a better deal with 2 promoted from sometimes only 12 or 13 clubs while Central only get 2 from twice the number of teams....to me it should be 5 divisions two up two down as things stand but the East version of 16 teams divisions should be adopted asap.

Is this not the same idea that was proposed by Ants,voted through then Robertson vetoed it ?.

There should be no district leagues,it was a compromise at the time when the old regions were disbanded,Lugar (Kennie) voted against the scrapping of the AJFA. Ayrshire have a better deal with 2 promoted from sometimes only 12 or 13 clubs while Central only get 2 from twice the number of teams....to me it should be 5 divisions two up two down as things stand but the East version of 16 teams divisions should be adopted asap.

From memory there were two votes related to this. I think one was the setting up of the West Region (with the AJFA being retained to run the cups). Then there was the vote to scrap the AJFA. Both were tied and went to the President for deciding vote. Convention was in such a situation he'd vote for the status quo. Yer man from Beith twice voted against the status quo.

From memory there were two votes related to this. I think one was the setting up of the West Region (with the AJFA being retained to run the cups). Then there was the vote to scrap the AJFA. Both were tied and went to the President for deciding vote. Convention was in such a situation he'd vote for the status quo. Yer man from Beith twice voted against the status quo.

That's the way a remember it as well...Kennie will be able to tell us if he has a mind to.

My first twenty years of supporting the Roy we mostly moved between the old central second division and first in this case central two and central three ,only once in my first twenty years of supporting the Roy did we play in the then premier division in this model central one.

The old central premier league was a tough league at the time only twelve teams in it, two relegated and a very strong Pollok, the Arthurlie, Petershill in particular.

Since 2008 we have played top flight football six years only this year dropping out it so if and i know it will not happen but if we went back to the old set up i would expect my team nowadays to be up the top challenging for the league. Certainly not something i expected back in the old central premier in the mid 90s , tough league back then as i said some real good teams and players in it.

I have heard ayrshire was living in a time warp but jesus this thread proves it.......... why dont you go back to old money as well while your at it.

and black and white telly, and horse and carts............

No time warp here.

The Ayrshire league wasn't broken so didn't see the need to fix it. The central league was struggling

Only a handful of Central teams have brought anything new to the pot tbh with Clydebank in particular being a breath of fresh air

Tbh teams like Annbank & Darvel would bring more fans to the Vale back in the day than some of the Central based teams

That is my only reason for wishing to go back to move forward

Also we used to have a national league back in the day & the reason for that being scrapped was cost issues & will be the same if we go further forward in what's mentioned in the East/West thread

LADESIDE

I have heard ayrshire was living in a time warp but jesus this thread proves it.......... why dont you go back to old money as well while your at it.

and black and white telly, and horse and carts............

Give me one benefit of Talbot playing Sauchie or Mussleburgh in a league game.

It is arguable if it is a higher standard or not. They will bring no fans, it is not a fixture that will bring out the floating or casual Talbot fan. In fact some fans might not bother as there is very little history between the clubs and there will be no former players or manager to add a bit of spice.

All this does is increase travelling costs with no increase in crowds

No time warp here.

The Ayrshire league wasn't broken so didn't see the need to fix it. The central league was struggling

Only a handful of Central teams have brought anything new to the pot tbh with Clydebank in particular being a breath of fresh air

Tbh teams like Annbank & Darvel would bring more fans to the Vale back in the day than some of the Central based teams

That is my only reason for wishing to go back to move forward

Also we used to have a national league back in the day & the reason for that being scrapped was cost issues & will be the same if we go further forward in what's mentioned in the East/West thread

LADESIDE

What central teams take less to ayrshire than Annbank or darvel ? I mean Pollok Clydebank for a start take good crowds by nowadays standards, we run a separate supporters bus as well as cars so do petershill. Arthurlie must take a few more than those two small ayrshire teams. Shotts on their day can mustard a decent support for nowadays. Fair enough as few central teams don't have the biggest of supports but neither do a couple of big ayrshire teams in particular. Can't help but feel your exaggerating how many a lot of smaller ayrshire teams take to games.

Give me one benefit of Talbot playing Sauchie or Mussleburgh in a league game.

It is arguable if it is a higher standard or not. They will bring no fans, it is not a fixture that will bring out the floating or casual Talbot fan. In fact some fans might not bother as there is very little history between the clubs and there will be no former players or manager to add a bit of spice.

All this does is increase travelling costs with no increase in crowds

so its a "were better than most of them" thing !! you would only play teams who had earned the right to be there.....

this past week with this thread and the other about the proposed superleague have jsut finally convinced me the juniors as a grade are totally and utterly finished !!

time to scrap the lot and have one non league grade, if you want in fine, if you dont.... amateur football awaits

so its a "were better than most of them" thing !! you would only play teams who had earned the right to be there.....

this past week with this thread and the other about the proposed superleague have jsut finally convinced me the juniors as a grade are totally and utterly finished !!

time to scrap the lot and have one non league grade, if you want in fine, if you dont.... amateur football awaits

So you don't have a reason why it would be better then

If Lithgae are that keen to have a more progressive set up why don't you join the Lowland league or do an Ormiston Primrose & join the East of Scotland league?

But tell me how well are they doing now ? Or shall we say how is the team they changed their name to doing?

LADESIDE

Archived