Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

Just a wee hypothetical one, but with the other thread discussing the idea of the East/West merger and some voicing their preference to revert back to District leagues instead of the current West Region Super Leagues, it got me thinking how would the teams currently be placed if that was to happen.

I needed a starting point, and I couldn't really use the current league standings as a fair indicator due to the differences in the numbers of games played. So I used the end of last season and allowed the promoted teams to jump above the relegated teams from the league above in the rankings.

Also, I can't quite remember how many teams were in each league in the old District set-ups, so I have gone with 12+12 for Ayrshire, and 14+14+11 for Central, just for argument's sake.

How does your team's current ranking under this hypothetical system compare with their performance under the old District set-ups and also with your current expectations ?

Ayrshire Division One

Auchinleck Talbot

Irvine Meadow

Hurlford United

Cumnock Juniors

Glenafton Athletic

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Troon

Beith Juniors

Largs Thistle

Maybole Juniors

Irvine Victoria

Ardeer Thistle

Ayrshire Division Two

Kilwinning Rangers

Whitletts Victoria

Lugar Boswell Thistle

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Darvel Juniors

Girvan

Dalry Thistle

Saltcoats Victoria

Annbank United

Kello Rovers

Muirkirk Juniors

Craigmark Burntonians

Central Division One

Clydebank

Petershill

Arthurlie

Shotts Bon Accord

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Pollok

Cumbernauld United

Thorniewood United

Rutherglen Glencairn

Yoker Athletic

Greenock Juniors

Kilsyth Rangers

Neilston Juniors

Shettleston

Central Division Two

Ashfield

Renfrew

Lesmahagow Juniors

Benburb

Bellshill Athletic

Carluke Rovers

Dunipace

Larkhall Thistle

St Anthony's

Maryhill

Lanark United

Blantyre Victoria

Vale of Clyde

Wishaw Juniors

Central Division Three

Cambuslang Rangers

Johnstone Burgh

Glasgow Perthshire

Forth Wanderers

Royal Albert

Vale of Leven

Rossvale

Port Glasgow

St Roch's

East Kilbride Thistle

Newmains United

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldnt it be best having slightly smaller top leagues and larger bottom?

The top teams have more chance of more cup games and larger bottom leagues gives them more games,

Just a suggestion.

It was just an example, really, and I went with the 14 teams in the Central Division Two as the bottom-ranked team (Wishaw Juniors) had been promoted last season and I felt it unfair to bracket them in the bottom league again. Basically, the current Central Division Two is what makes up the Central Division Three above.

But I take your point.

Just a wee hypothetical one, but with the other thread discussing the idea of the East/West merger and some voicing their preference to revert back to District leagues instead of the current West Region Super Leagues, it got me thinking how would the teams currently be placed if that was to happen.

I needed a starting point, and I couldn't really use the current league standings as a fair indicator due to the differences in the numbers of games played. So I used the end of last season and allowed the promoted teams to jump above the relegated teams from the league above in the rankings.

Also, I can't quite remember how many teams were in each league in the old District set-ups, so I have gone with 12+12 for Ayrshire, and 14+14+11 for Central, just for argument's sake.

How does your team's current ranking under this hypothetical system compare with their performance under the old District set-ups and also with your current expectations ?

Ayrshire Division One

Auchinleck Talbot

Irvine Meadow

Hurlford United

Cumnock Juniors

Glenafton Athletic

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Troon

Beith Juniors

Largs Thistle

Maybole Juniors

Irvine Victoria

Ardeer Thistle

Ayrshire Division Two

Kilwinning Rangers

Whitletts Victoria

Lugar Boswell Thistle

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Darvel Juniors

Girvan

Dalry Thistle

Saltcoats Victoria

Annbank United

Kello Rovers

Muirkirk Juniors

Craigmark Burntonians

Central Division One

Clydebank

Petershill

Arthurlie

Shotts Bon Accord

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Pollok

Cumbernauld United

Thorniewood United

Rutherglen Glencairn

Yoker Athletic

Greenock Juniors

Kilsyth Rangers

Neilston Juniors

Shettleston

Central Division Two

Ashfield

Renfrew

Lesmahagow Juniors

Benburb

Bellshill Athletic

Carluke Rovers

Dunipace

Larkhall Thistle

St Anthony's

Maryhill

Lanark United

Blantyre Victoria

Vale of Clyde

Wishaw Juniors

Central Division Three

Cambuslang Rangers

Johnstone Burgh

Glasgow Perthshire

Forth Wanderers

Royal Albert

Vale of Leven

Rossvale

Port Glasgow

St Roch's

East Kilbride Thistle

Newmains United

this wouldn't bother me at all!

Ayrshire Division One

Auchinleck Talbot

Irvine Meadow

Hurlford United

Cumnock Juniors

Glenafton Athletic

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Troon

Beith Juniors

Largs Thistle

Maybole Juniors

Irvine Victoria

Ardeer Thistle

Ayrshire Division Two

Kilwinning Rangers

Whitletts Victoria

Lugar Boswell Thistle

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Darvel Juniors

Girvan

Dalry Thistle

Saltcoats Victoria

Annbank United

Kello Rovers

Muirkirk Juniors

Craigmark Burntonians

Central Division One

Clydebank

Petershill

Arthurlie

Shotts Bon Accord

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Pollok

Cumbernauld United

Thorniewood United

Rutherglen Glencairn

Yoker Athletic

Greenock Juniors

Kilsyth Rangers

Neilston Juniors

Shettleston

Central Division Two

Ashfield

Renfrew

Lesmahagow Juniors

Benburb

Bellshill Athletic

Carluke Rovers

Dunipace

Larkhall Thistle

St Anthony's

Maryhill

Lanark United

Blantyre Victoria

Vale of Clyde

Wishaw Juniors

Central Division Three

Cambuslang Rangers

Johnstone Burgh

Glasgow Perthshire

Forth Wanderers

Royal Albert

Vale of Leven

Rossvale

Port Glasgow

St Roch's

East Kilbride Thistle

Newmains United

this wouldn't bother me at all!

Please make it happen.

Only then, will we see gates increasing. It just seems that those people running our game are only interested in their own agenda, whatever that may be.

The main attraction of the juniors is the local rivalry and ease of access. People are being lost to the game simply because they don't want to devote a full day to going to a game. Plus we are in a state of austerity and the associated costs are taking the game away from the fans. These fans are now finding other pastimes and are being driven away from the game.

The West Super league was started as the bigger central teams wanted to tap into the Ayrshire juniors which was flourishing at the time whilst the central league were struggling

I believe the West league has now run its course and we should go back to the Ayrshire/Central leagues again & revamp the West of Scotland cup as that is just a sideshow now . If we go to this East/West nonsense even more fans will be lost to the juniors forever

LADESIDE

For the final year of the Ayrshire Region it was 7+8+8. For one season only they created this absurd top division of 7 clubs.

For the previous quarter century it had been two divisions. Even the 30 odd years before that it was also two divisions - although split north and south.

But for one convenient season just before the amalgamation it went to 3 divisions.

At least going back to this system would keep the gate money which Ayrshire teams bring, through decent travelling support, within Ayrshire. Central region were definitely the winners when things changed.

I seem to remember at the time the Ayrshire Region having a healthier bank account than the Central Region.

For the final year of the Ayrshire Region it was 7+8+8. For one season only they created this absurd top division of 7 clubs.

For the previous quarter century it had been two divisions. Even the 30 odd years before that it was also two divisions - although split north and south.

But for one convenient season just before the amalgamation it went to 3 divisions.

McLuckies idea...what McLuckie wanted at that time he got.

Was nothing to do with convenience, wasn't set up to help adjust to the new super leagues.Had the super leagues not happened Ayrshire would have continued with that set up.

Please make it happen.

Only then, will we see gates increasing. It just seems that those people running our game are only interested in their own agenda, whatever that may be.

The main attraction of the juniors is the local rivalry and ease of access. People are being lost to the game simply because they don't want to devote a full day to going to a game. Plus we are in a state of austerity and the associated costs are taking the game away from the fans. These fans are now finding other pastimes and are being driven away from the game.

Wherever you are you getting having to dedicate a whole day to watch a game. If my team play in Irvine (one of the longer journeys) our bus leaves at 1230 and we get home before five, rangers if it's a 1.45 kick off.

Would be madness to go back to the old regions,sponsors, players and a decent amount of fans want to play or have the chance to play the best teams region wide.

I think a lot of Glasgow based players that play in ayrshire (and there is a massive amount of players who do) would stray back to playing for central based teams rather than travelling to play in deepest ayrshire every week.

The currant league system is fine, it needs tweaked not sent back to the 1990s.

Once the pyramid steamroller starts to focus on the Juniors, the decision will be taken out of your hands and you lads can look forward to being welcomed into the bountiful bosum of the SPFL. Midweek away to Elgin in February anyone?

Only joking!! But stranger things have happened.

At least going back to this system would keep the gate money which Ayrshire teams bring, through decent travelling support, within Ayrshire. Central region were definitely the winners when things changed.

True jimbo...and don't forget that it introduced many of us to the crisp,new (very new) Auchinleck £4 note and the still popular 60 pence piece.

:)

Wherever you are you getting having to dedicate a whole day to watch a game. If my team play in Irvine (one of the longer journeys) our bus leaves at 1230 and we get home before five, rangers if it's a 1.45 kick off.

Would be madness to go back to the old regions,sponsors, players and a decent amount of fans want to play or have the chance to play the best teams region wide.

I think a lot of Glasgow based players that play in ayrshire (and there is a massive amount of players who do) would stray back to playing for central based teams rather than travelling to play in deepest ayrshire every week.

The currant league system is fine, it needs tweaked not sent back to the 1990s.

No way would the Glasgow based players leave...the money and glory is in Ayrshire,always has been.

Why would you want to go back the way? Expansion to 14 or 16 teams would be the sensible thing for top league and not going back to Ayrshire leagues.

The Glasgow teams in Super Premier currently plus Pollok and Rob Roy all have brung decent supports down to Irvine. Probably better than your Largs / Maybole / Ardeer if went back to District Leagues.

Its far easier to get to Pollok, Arthurlie, Petershill etc than Maybole/New Cumnock etc from Irvine / North Ayrshire so travel time argument does not hold.

Why would you want to go back the way? personally i'd do away with the district leagues and go all in West Region rather than return to two separate districts. It would freshen things up for the teams in the district leagues who by and large play the same teams year in year out.

Archived