Newmains United in danger

PumaKing

What about yourself Mr Irvine - do you not fancy a return to Newmains on a committee role?

Very happy where I am Wishawloyal. Lasted one away game as a committee member & its not for me.

Do hope that they get the help they deserve to keep the club going.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams like newmains etc, that have been struggling for a number of years, should be looking to do what wishaw done and appoint a young player/manager type. Experienced players who know them will come play under and help attract a better quality to the club. Maybe a promotion into the bargain which helps attract committee, sponsors etc. This could then allow the manager at the moment, is it still Iain Rankin? To be a prominent committee man as he clearly has the club at heart. Young manager might have fresh sponsorship ideas to help with his own playing budget. Thoughts?

Teams like newmains etc, that have been struggling for a number of years, should be looking to do what wishaw done and appoint a young player/manager type. Experienced players who know them will come play under and help attract a better quality to the club. Maybe a promotion into the bargain which helps attract committee, sponsors etc. This could then allow the manager at the moment, is it still Iain Rankin? To be a prominent committee man as he clearly has the club at heart. Young manager might have fresh sponsorship ideas to help with his own playing budget. Thoughts?

Sounds a great idea, if only it was as simple as that, every club could just appoint a young player/manager, who would have no money for signings or any wages at Newmains, win a promotion, attract tons of new glory hunting committee men & sponsors.

Wishaw succeeded because they made what turned out to be the right managerial appointment, irrelevant of his age. Plenty of young player/managers have failed & never been heard of again. Wishaw picked a good one & got their reward for a brave decision.

My thoughts are that Newmains have exactly the right manager in charge, Billy McKie, who replaced Ian Rankin in October 2013. Billy is more than just the manager, he is Manager/Committee man, as was Ian Rankin before him, & has a major say in anything that goes on at the club both on & more importantly off the pitch.

If it wasn't for Billy, (& Ian McKnight) United may well already have folded.

It certainly worked for us at Wishaw however we had the new park to attract players to the club also. Wishaw already had a very hard working committee in place as well who should take credit for the progression made in recent seasons.

I agree this could possibly work for Newmains. I thought a couple of seasons back they where going places when they brought in some decent anatuers but if just didn't happen for some reason.

I really do hope they get the support they need. As mentioned above perhaps a tie in with a good local amatuer/under 21 team could work and they might bring folk with them?

John McKeown was a success at Wishaw because he's a very good manager, not because he's young. He also had the backing of a hard working committee that allowed him to concentrate on his role as manager.

Billy McKie has to juggle his role as manager as well as washing the strips, organising fundraising nights, sponsorship deals, trys to promotes the club locally, was the main force in getting the pavilion renovated for the 1st time since the '60's, and much much more that are jobs that a committee should deal with. How many up & coming young player /managers would be interested in doing all that? For no wages or financial reward either.

It was Billy who started this thread to try & get committee men to keep the club alive so any talk of Newmains appointing a new young player/manager are frankly quite silly as the whole point of the thread is to attract help to keep the club going, not to replace one of the main reasons that the club is still alive.

Totally agree about Billy McKee excuse me if that came across wrong. What I meant is perhaps a tie in with a good amatuer side or 21s blended with Billy's knowledge and experience of the junior game may work? Also this might attract more help from the guys who do the work for the amatuer team?

Hopefully the community get involved also.

I thought the club had some sort of tie in with Motherwell- is this still the case?

Haha Thanks for the vote of Confidence Stevie!

As you know yourself, it's very much a team effort trying to keep things going at the club with everyone trying to do their bit. You were part of this too, doing things like producing Matchday program's out your own pocket etc. Ian McKnight worked tirelessly for the cause until it became a burden and Gary Johnstone is another guy who puts so much commitment over and above what his role should be. We just need a fully functioning committee to perform the jobs that our three current committee members are unable to commit to. That's not criticism of the committee it's just they genuinely can't commit to the roles involved and therefore we need people to get involved now more than ever. It would be great just to be able to concentrate on the football matters!

Would be interested in what positions you guys are looking for help with, I'm from coatbridge and have recently set up a fitness centre close by and have been taken in with people in the area, a local club struggling? IM IN ???? I have experience in coaching although I have no badges, very competent with nutrition and fitness and am experienced within a few other areas too. I would be very interested in doing what I can

The club are delighted that a couple of guys have came forward to join the committee. We also hope to secure some crucial and much needed financial backing in the very near future by means of a sponsorship.

A lot of fresh ideas have been talked over and things are looking a fair bit more positive than they were a couple of weeks ago.

We do still require people to get involved, so anyone out there who can give up sometime to help run the club and fancies it then please get in touch.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately kit the interest has'nt sustained! One of the current committee members has also said that he will be stepping down at the end of the season. There's just no interest locally in the club it seems and hard to see a way forward.

Yeah the club should be able to see the season out and hopefully be in a position to continue on from there as I believe there is an option of some interest that could help the club continue in the league next season. But without the structure, finances and support its very tough keeping the club functioning and even more difficult to attract players to the club as the resources just aren't there to enable us to sell the club to players.

It's been a very difficult and frustrating season.

Where will this saturdays match be played guys? Has the damage at your ground been repaired?

They were able to use Victoria Park a week later for the match in which Rossvale clinched promotion, so yours should be there too.

Archived