Rangers v Heart of Midlothian, 05/04/2015 (Match Rescheduled)

Killie were Champions the season Stein took over at Parkhead, and were never serious title contenders again during the 9 in a row. They were relegated in 1972/73. Celtic's main challengers during the 9 in a row run were Rangers, notwithstanding the Dons being runners up twice, once very close, once by a fair distance,and Hibs runners up once.

In the Scottish Cup, only Dunfermline and Aberdeen won it during the 9 in a row years. (Apart from Rangers.)

League Cup? Partick, Hibs and Dundee lifted it.

Kilmarnock never made a final in either, and their best league finish was third in 1965/66. I think you'll have to take off your blue and white striped specs! (Not taking anything away from Killie's European exploits.)

Oh, there's no doubt that we peaked - domestically - that year, but the fact that you name so many other teams, including rangers (rip) winning stuff during celtic's run shows that there was a much more competitive vibe about the league than many younger than us would believe. Having finished runners-up for four of the five seasons before becoming champions kind of suggests it wasn't a flash in the pan, either. Dundee, also, had a decent '60s, with a league title and a couple (?) of European semis.

As for our European exploits - as you say, we were a team in decline by the end of the decade (just before I started attending :(), yet still managed to reach a Fairs Cup Semi-final in '67, where a very good Leeds side did us in the first half-hour at Elland Road. I think this says a lot about the general standard of the Scottish game at the time.

In summary, one can get misty-eyed looking back fifty years, but to finish in the top two in the country for half a decade is something most fans would be happy with, even then. Now, it would be a dream.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revie, like Ferguson, was an unpleasant man who forged an unpleasant, yet very effective team - one which contributed hugely to Scotland's International fortunes of the 70's.

"We're Leeds United, we don't give a f**k"

Shamelessly stolen slogan from one of my T-shirts.

Unfortunately I can't upload the picture on this bloody IPad.

Just read the last couple of pages and it seems to be the case, according to The Rangers International supporters that the kids on the buses that were bricked, "went looking for trouble"

Would that be correct?

Number 8s surprised me these last few pages, Hearts fans were to blame for getting battered cause they sung some songs that upset Ra bearz? Thought 8 was better than that.

If that was the case that it was Hearts fault because they sung some wind up songs then 90 percent of games every weekend would end up with mass brawls in the stands.

Sevco are special though, really shouldn't be surprised with them anymore.

Number 8s surprised me these last few pages, Hearts fans were to blame for getting battered cause they sung some songs that upset Ra bearz? Thought 8 was better than that.

Really! Maybe once upon a time there was a decent civilised side to him but lately no way. It's been disappointing to watch his slide to scumbaggery but if you lie down with dogs you get fleas.

Oh, there's no doubt that we peaked - domestically - that year, but the fact that you name so many other teams, including rangers (rip) winning stuff during celtic's run shows that there was a much more competitive vibe about the league than many younger than us would believe. Having finished runners-up for four of the five seasons before becoming champions kind of suggests it wasn't a flash in the pan, either. Dundee, also, had a decent '60s, with a league title and a couple (?) of European semis.

As for our European exploits - as you say, we were a team in decline by the end of the decade (just before I started attending :(), yet still managed to reach a Fairs Cup Semi-final in '67, where a very good Leeds side did us in the first half-hour at Elland Road. I think this says a lot about the general standard of the Scottish game at the time.

In summary, one can get misty-eyed looking back fifty years, but to finish in the top two in the country for half a decade is something most fans would be happy with, even then. Now, it would be a dream.

I didn't suggest it was flash in the pan, it was the culmination of a sustained challenge, I was pointing out that Killie wouldn't have been considered a "player" in the title race during Stein's 9 in a row (apart from perhaps, 65/66).

You could argue, despite the received wisdom, that there was a more diverse challenge to Rangers during their 9 in a row - Aberdeen were runners up 5 times, Motherwell and Hearts once each.

Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee United, Kilmarnock and Hearts all won the Scottish Cup.

Aberdeen (twice), Hibs and Raith Rovers won the League Cup

Do you know what would be really helpful? A little list of all the things that we aren't allowed to say because it's either sectarian or too hurtful and would therefore justify violence against the author.

Your club died - Spitting and punching ok

Fruit filled pastry jibe - Go to jail

etc.

Particular as they don't care that nobody likes them it can be a bit hard to keep track of what is/is not ok/worthy of an assault.

Much easier to list what you can say.

Rangers FC

54 and counting

There, that should keep the weegie, moaning c/nts happy while their club is dying for the second time in 3 years.

It seems that No.8 and his brethren have more in common with the Pope than they would perhaps like to. Apparently the Pope has said that someone that insults his mother could "expect to get punched".

Rangers fans in bed with the Pope? Scary times.

You'll get along fine with No8 as longs as your not black, gay or a catholic.

If that was the case that it was Hearts fault because they sung some wind up songs then 90 percent of games every weekend would end up with mass brawls in the stands.

Sevco are special though, really shouldn't be surprised with them anymore.

If you kick a dog in the balls, don't be surprised if it bites you. We're talking about mentally deranged individuals here. They are in the process of losing the only thing they have in life. If it goes bust, they will have to start shagging their wives again and we all know what that will lead to.

The only year in the history of Scottish football that neither of the OF finished in the top 3 of League 1.

If you kick a dog in the balls, don't be surprised if it bites you. We're talking about mentally deranged individuals here. They are in the process of losing the only thing they have in life. If it goes bust, they will have to start shagging their wives again and we all know what that will lead to.

:lol:

The pope's mum is a slag

I'm not scared

So No.8, what level of violence can Topcat expect from the Pope? A light scratch? A strong finger jab? Or can the Pope go to town on his ass with his rosary beads during a 5 hr torture session? (Sorry for bringing your ass into things Topcat)

So No.8, what level of violence can Topcat expect from the Pope? A light scratch? A strong finger jab? Or can the Pope go to town on his ass with his rosary beads during a 5 hr torture session? (Sorry for bringing your ass into things Topcat)

Going to town on men's asses is more of a Cardinal Keith O'Brien thing apparently

I think a Christian Greyesque dungeon awaits Topcat.

Archived