Transfers best and worst over the years

bayernsaltcoats

Aye ok, I got the league they were in wrong. Wasn't a dig in the slightest at Glencairn, more that neither were proven at Premier level and that showed. When I heard we'd signed a left sided player from you's I hoped it was Richie Burke as he's always been impressive. It wasn't.

Edited to add - having now done my homework, Glencairn were district league for the 6 season prior to the 1 season in the Super First, which backs up my opinion that we shouldn't have targeted those two. We, having won the league, should have added from rivals, Seniors etc. Can't change history though.

I acknowledge that it wasn't a dig at Glencairn, no problem. However, you need to do your research a wee bit better. ;)

O'Keane joined Glencairn at the start of season 2008-09, and Fraser joined during the season before. They won the Central District League in Keano's first season (Fraser's 1st full season as well), followed by Super League Division One the season after. They were players on form and playing at a really good level.

Fraser was signed from Vale of Clyde who were a Super League side at the time. I can't recall who we signed O'Keane from, but it wasn't as if he'd been playing for us in the Central District League for a long time without success, they both played together for one season in a team who won the league by 16 points, winning 19 out of 24 matches.

Glencairn's status from the previous 6 seasons was irrelevant to their status at the time that you bought the players. You were signing players from a team who had just won the Super League Division One, and were going up into the same league as you, i.e. the top league in junior football. Interestingly, despite Glencairn having to completely rebuild their team that summer due to the management and players all walking, Beith were unable to beat us that season, 2-2 draws home and away.

Sometimes players fit certain clubs well, and not so much at others. Look at the likes of Fernando Torres at Atletico Madrid and Liverpool, before his disaster at Chelsea. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, despite a player's good pedigree prior to the move.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think he has took a season out to recover from injury

LADESIDE

he has retired due to injury mcginto according to mcginto.wee Davie is the best wan Iv seen,we got mcginto fae the ryeside 21s so he goes in as one of the best to. Wan ae the worst was nick moire in my opinion,came with a big rep and failed to live up to it.

Think he has took a season out to recover from injury

LADESIDE

he has retired due to injury mcginto according to mcginto.wee Davie is the best wan Iv seen,we got mcginto fae the ryeside 21s so he goes in as one of the best to. Wan ae the worst was mick moore in my opinion,came with a big rep and failed to live up to it.

I would have to say Gavin Collins and wee whitey have to be up there with the best signings, two players who came from the district league to be legends at the talbot, also Kris Doolan from kello rovers to the Bot then plying his trade in the SPFL

No mention of Lieshman ? :thumbsdown

I also remember Ardeer thistle signing Ryan jordan from the meadow years ago for a crazy fee and wages and the boy was shocking, terrible attitude and a superstar mentality when he had the skills of a 12 year old. Do not rate in the slightest and ive seen him a few times since then..still the same

Again :1eye

Glenn Millar was rank rotten, I'm sure that's what his name was. First game he looked decent, the rest was poor poor. I'm sure he cost a fair bit of coin from the Peasies.

I think he was a lawyer, and like most lawyers he deserved the jail, only for his performances of course.

The mists of time are catching up with me these days and my memory is shot to bits.

He was a strange one. Could be brilliant one week then simply awful the next. You're right, he is a lawyer. Funnily enough his best game for us was at Hannah Park.

Pound for pound Stevie Dallas would have to be our best signing in my time, honourable mention for Jim Beattie who was very consistent and dependable for 10 years and also fought back to fitness after suffering from cancer.

Bad signings? Ooft. In a cold sweat here thinking about some of them!

I acknowledge that it wasn't a dig at Glencairn, no problem. However, you need to do your research a wee bit better. ;)

O'Keane joined Glencairn at the start of season 2008-09, and Fraser joined during the season before. They won the Central District League in Keano's first season (Fraser's 1st full season as well), followed by Super League Division One the season after. They were players on form and playing at a really good level.

Fraser was signed from Vale of Clyde who were a Super League side at the time. I can't recall who we signed O'Keane from, but it wasn't as if he'd been playing for us in the Central District League for a long time without success, they both played together for one season in a team who won the league by 16 points, winning 19 out of 24 matches.

Glencairn's status from the previous 6 seasons was irrelevant to their status at the time that you bought the players. You were signing players from a team who had just won the Super League Division One, and were going up into the same league as you, i.e. the top league in junior football. Interestingly, despite Glencairn having to completely rebuild their team that summer due to the management and players all walking, Beith were unable to beat us that season, 2-2 draws home and away.

Sometimes players fit certain clubs well, and not so much at others. Look at the likes of Fernando Torres at Atletico Madrid and Liverpool, before his disaster at Chelsea. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, despite a player's good pedigree prior to the move.

Unlike a few on here who for then Pie and Bovril is a major part of life, I had more to do in the last couple of days than research 2 of the worst players in our recent history.

Kenny McLean was a great signing for Beith, as was Andy Reid at the time and need to echo Hertha's thoughts about Sniffer.

For me two of the worst signings were Tony Fraser and Stephen O'Keane from Glencairn just after we'd won the league. Miller tried his hardest to accommodate them both when we already had Mushy, Sniffer, Garv, JC, Spenny, wee Joe and had no real need for two players from a district league side. It helped break up what was a great side at the time.

The Rutherglen two were far from Miller's worst signings. They were just 2 of the many many players Miller signed who weren't up to the job. He squandered £10,000's on players, not good enough. His worst 2 were Pat Keoch who never made it on the park and 'Al-naedou' or whatever he was called. He managed to play 4 mins in a Beith jersey. I was working on a roof when Beith signed him with a poor 2nd division junior player who had played against him in a kick-about. He was shocked that Beith had signed him. I then told him that he had been with Nantes for 6 year he exploded in laughter telling e he was a donkey and that he must be over here on his cousins passport! He wasn't joking! Thank goodness Johnny has began to sign decent players in the last couple of years.

For me from an Arthurlie context Del McCulloch just didn't work out at Arthurlie but he's possibly one of my favourite players, outstanding at Talbot, Beith, Whitlets, etc it just never worked for him at Arthurlie!

Best? I always remember hearing we had signed a big commanding centre half who bossed forwards and sent fear into their eyes, nicknamed Souness I was shocked when this tall slim guy appeared in our strip when Arthurlie as a club were flying!

As they say about first impressions, Stuart Allison turned out to be IMO one of the best central defenders I've had the pleasure to watch and in ten years at Arthurlie he won the lot!

McGarvey, different class! But for just the longevity and standard week in week out my now good mate Stuart tops it for me!

Obv pollok are still a big club, But im surprised the boy Findlay Frye isn't playing in the premier this season. Pollok will be back next season but Frye is a great wee player. Why did he leave glenafton?

Former manager told him he was no longer in his first 11 and not guaranteed a start.

That was after dropping him for a few games and not speaking to him.

Also he didn't help himself by going on holiday / stag weekend and missing vital game/s.

Good player and always gave glens 100%. Def an angry wee man

Former manager told him he was no longer in his first 11 and not guaranteed a start.

That was after dropping him for a few games and not speaking to him.

Also he didn't help himself by going on holiday / stag weekend and missing vital game/s.

Good player and always gave glens 100%. Def an angry wee man

Defo an angry wee man. But a great wee player. One of those guys who u love if he's in your team but hate if your playing against him. Gives the same if your 5-0 up or 5-0 down in the last minute.

Archived