Transfers best and worst over the years

bayernsaltcoats

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All teams have signed that one special player and also the one that didn't quite work out the way they wanted.

Have any players from amateur or lower league went on to be great juniors?

Good business, Bad business, To expensive, Crazy wages?

Thoughts?

Beith Juniors Best = Brian "sniffer " mckeown

Beith juniors worst and far too expensive signing = Russell (bloody) Doig

Most technically gifted signing = Martin mcgarvey

All teams have signed that one special player and also the one that didn't quite work out the way they wanted.

Thoughts?

Wee Dingy,who began and ended his career in Amateur fitba'.

But what about your nominations?

Thoughts?

Darian Mackinnon.

From the amateurs to the Bankies to Accies in the SPFL. And more than holding his own too.

In the last 5 years, Kiegan Parker and Tom Brighton were both shite. Technically decent but shite attitudes.

Best. Garry Fleming now doing well at Dumbarton and Gary McCann. The wee man is sensational.

For Kelty Hearts

Best signing - Andy Tod as a raw 16 year old, stuck out like a sore thumb and was sold to Dunfermline 4 years later and went on to have a decent pro career.

Worst signing - George O'Boyle - wee bit of hype when he signed but didn't play a game before leaving a few months after him signing.

Wee Dingy,who began and ended his career in Amateur fitba'.

But what about your nominations?

I think the boy Ben lewis at the buffs is a cracking player who could play at a higher level, I also remember Ardeer thistle signing Ryan jordan from the meadow years ago for a crazy fee and wages and the boy was shocking, terrible attitude and a superstar mentality when he had the skills of a 12 year old. Do not rate in the slightest and ive seen him a few times since then..still the same

For Clydebank, MacKinnon is the obvious example but guys like Mark Hailstones and Alan Jack were great transfers and probably could have played in most junior teams.

They had some good goalies aswell with Stefan Gonet and Barry John Corr both at the club at the same time competing for a place.

For Clydebank, MacKinnon is the obvious example but guys like Mark Hailstones and Alan Jack were great transfers and probably could have played in most junior teams.

They had some good goalies aswell with Stefan Gonet and Barry John Corr both at the club at the same time competing for a place.

would've been good seeing daz n jacko n same team. 2 great players different styles but our best players last 10 years. Both still seen regular at Holm park

I would have to say Gavin Collins and wee whitey have to be up there with the best signings, two players who came from the district league to be legends at the talbot, also Kris Doolan from kello rovers to the Bot then plying his trade in the SPFL

Kenny McLean was a great signing for Beith, as was Andy Reid at the time and need to echo Hertha's thoughts about Sniffer.

For me two of the worst signings were Tony Fraser and Stephen O'Keane from Glencairn just after we'd won the league. Miller tried his hardest to accommodate them both when we already had Mushy, Sniffer, Garv, JC, Spenny, wee Joe and had no real need for two players from a district league side. It helped break up what was a great side at the time.

Kenny McLean was a great signing for Beith, as was Andy Reid at the time and need to echo Hertha's thoughts about Sniffer.

For me two of the worst signings were Tony Fraser and Stephen O'Keane from Glencairn just after we'd won the league. Miller tried his hardest to accommodate them both when we already had Mushy, Sniffer, Garv, JC, Spenny, wee Joe and had no real need for two players from a district league side. It helped break up what was a great side at the time.

Glencairn weren't a District League side when you signed O'Keane and Fraser. We had just won the Super League Division One and were coming up into the Super Premier League, and they had been our best two players that season in my opinion. For whatever reason it didn't work out for them at Beith, but there's no need to look down your nose and blame the team you bought them from, especially when you have your facts badly wrong.

Glenn Millar was rank rotten, I'm sure that's what his name was. First game he looked decent, the rest was poor poor. I'm sure he cost a fair bit of coin from the Peasies.

I think he was a lawyer, and like most lawyers he deserved the jail, only for his performances of course.

The mists of time are catching up with me these days and my memory is shot to bits.

Glencairn weren't a District League side when you signed O'Keane and Fraser. We had just won the Super League Division One and were coming up into the Super Premier League, and they had been our best two players that season in my opinion. For whatever reason it didn't work out for them at Beith, but there's no need to look down your nose and blame the team you bought them from, especially when you have your facts badly wrong.

Aye ok, I got the league they were in wrong. Wasn't a dig in the slightest at Glencairn, more that neither were proven at Premier level and that showed. When I heard we'd signed a left sided player from you's I hoped it was Richie Burke as he's always been impressive. It wasn't.

Edited to add - having now done my homework, Glencairn were district league for the 6 season prior to the 1 season in the Super First, which backs up my opinion that we shouldn't have targeted those two. We, having won the league, should have added from rivals, Seniors etc. Can't change history though.

Archived