Top 5 footballing moments of 2014

What are your top 5 moments in football this year? It's been a great year for saints with Europe and the cup win, I'll start off with my own.

5) St Johnstone 2 Aberdeen 1: what a match, I shed tears when May scored his second, it paved the way for the greatest weekend in the clubs history.

For myself coming from behind to win this made it all the better

4) Luzern at home: great night at Mcdiarmid in front of a loud and excited crowd, Scobbie hitting the winning penalty sparking absolute scenes in Perth, May had put us ahead on aggregate from the spot in the 1st half and Caddis had a great chance to win it in Extra time, but the penalty shootout was a great way to win considering a year previous Minsk beat us on penalties.

3) Scotland 1 ROI 0: moving away from saints for this one, but what a bloody great night, was glad to be at the match, Maloneys goal, Keanes seethe and McGeady getting absolutely rattled by the crowd made it a famous win.

2) cup final pre-match: It may be incredibly cheesy but partying in the wetherspoons in george square and then the crystal bell(?) near parkhead seemed surreal, the alcohol was meant to help with the Nerves, but it didn't, I couldn't comprehend what was away to happen that afternoon, which leads us nicely too.....

1) The cup final: we know what happened, Anderson and Maclean both writing their name in the clubs history book and naming the team as arguably one of the greatest saints sides of all time. Full time didn't seem real to myself and I had to constantly check the boards stating who was the winner, the quickest bus journey home I can remember, the perth pubs, and the bus parade all made for a great day.

Beating Aberdeen 3-1 to break our home hoodoo last season.

Beating Hibs 3-1 at home to double our home wins last season. Sadly it would be our last of 2013/14.

Beating ICT 3-1 at home this season. I don't think they had even conceded a goal by this point?

Beating Motherwell 3-1. I actually missed this one but it was good to get our first win over the Steelmen since our return to the topflight.

Not 3-1 but our 4-0 win at Inverness was quite special and the best away day for Thistle in ages.

In Scotland...

1) Ciftci's goal in front of a bedlamous Broomloan Road Stand full of Arabs in the contentious Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox with the whole of What's left of Scottish football behind us, not to mention the repeated Zombie and related chants reverberating gloriously around the orcs own manor. Fucking pleasing.

2) The Big Team putting 3+ past The Fun. Again. Again. Again. To be honest, I stopped celebrating in the pub after the 3rd goal so as not to be rude.

3) United's three goal comeback in the final 11 minutes against The Maureens, and the scenic thread that went with it.

4) Hamilton's insane win over Hibs in the playoffs.

5) The 2nd tier madness on the last day of the season.

only Thistle one would be beating Hearts 4-2 to stay up, at half time we looked fucked and in the playoffs... therefore

Hamilton's last minute equaliser in the playoff final

Scotland 1-0 Ireland

Germany 7 Brazil 1- that 6 or 7 minutes was ridiculous, but in a good way.

Atletico winning the Spanish league

5. 10 of us half pished following hibs v hamilton second leg via bbc score updater on 3g in a cottage on skye. dont have any ill will towards the wee hibs but it was funny as f**k

4. the 4 days where we beat Dundee (again). i have often wondered is it better to utterly destroy your rivals or to really sicken them with an injury time winner? well we got both within 4 days and lets just say both have their merits

3. beating celtic last weekend. putting some ghosts to rest, only the 4th time i have witnessed us beating them in my 32 years

2. maloney v ireland.

1. destroying the rangers at their own hovel to book a scottish cup final. ciftis goal = scenes #battlefever

1) ICT 2 - 2 Hearts (ICT win 4 - 2 on penalties) League Cup Semi Final

Down to nine men, going into injury time and trailing 2 - 1. Up steps Nick Ross to fire home the equaliser and send the game into extra time. A great Dean Brill save from Hamillin the penalty spot and ICT eventually, against all the odds, win the shoot out and are off to their first major final ever. Let's ignore the final though :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25900500

2) Ross County 0 - 3 ICT

An absolute pumping of Ross County at a venue where we hadn't won in 10 years (although mos of those years we were in separate divisions). I like the Staggies fan at around 4:50 who makes to throw a bottle at Watkins but thinks better of it and backs down.

3) Terry Butcher joining Hibs

I was disappointed to see him go to Hibs but in a fabulous bout of schadenfreude ICT fans were able to see Butcher fail spectacularly and take Hibs into the SFL1 after a laughable run of results. I suspect he won't regret the move but sometimes I do wonder what we might have achieved that season had he stayed with us.

Still :lol:

_74766342_butcher2.jpg

4) My favourite ICT goal of 2014 this Aaron Doran strike v Ross County in another derby win in Dingwall

5) Jamie Hamill v Derek Adams. Nothing more needs to be said here :lol:

ib8U9LG00Rlxr_zpsoyihcsge.gif

5 Luzern away - another European trip to a stunning location.

4 Luzern Home - penalty shootout was, big crows.

4 Cup Parade - (not sure this count as football but) whole weekend is a bit of a blurr but just amazing to see so many people on the streets

2 Cup Final - never in doubt.

1 Semi final win - Stevie May's winner may be my favourite moment ever.

Aberdeen 4-2 Inverness on pens

League Cup.

Some day oot. 43,000 dandies.V emotional.

Groningen 1-2 Aberdeen,

Europa League

Erdivisie scalp and incredible atmosphere.

Aberdeen 2-1 Celtic.

League.

Ending Celtic unbeaten run and their keeper's shut out run wi' Hayes screamer

Aberdeen 4-0 St. Johnstone.

League Cup semi.

Tynecastle absolutely rocking.

Celtic 1-2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup

Brilliant performance and comeback.

1. St Johnstone 0 - 4 Aberdeen,

League Cup semi - best atmosphere I've ever experienced.

2. Aberdeen 0 - 0 ICT (4-2 on pens)

League Cup Final

Game was a bit of a let down but the massive support and the celebrations in Aberdeen afterwards more than made up for it.

3. Groningen 1 - 2 Aberdeen,

Europa League,

Really exciting game to watch, although the 2nd half was absolute torture. Ryan Jack was the best player on the park by an absolute mile

4. Celtic 1 - 2 Aberdeen,

Scottish Cup 5th Round,

Perfect game to get it right up that ugly John McVeigh is a tit Lennon and Celtic's scummy fans.

5. Dundee United 1 - 2 Aberdeen

New Year's Day,

Great atmosphere and brought the pikeys down a few pegs.

In Scotland...

1) Ciftci's goal in front of a bedlamous Broomloan Road Stand full of Arabs in the contentious Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox with the whole of What's left of Scottish football behind us, not to mention the repeated Zombie and related chants reverberating gloriously around the orcs own manor. Fucking pleasing.

2) The Big Team putting 3+ past The Fun. Again. Again. Again. To be honest, I stopped celebrating in the pub after the 3rd goal so as not to be rude.

3) United's three goal comeback in the final 11 minutes against The Maureens, and the scenic thread that went with it.

4) Hamilton's insane win over Hibs in the playoffs.

5) The 2nd tier madness on the last day of the season.

Number 1 is superb. What a great day that was. Sevco got a wee bitty excited before getting put out at Ibrox. Love it.

1. Hearts 2-4 Thistle. What a sexy night. I absolutely love Tynecastle and securing our safety was glorious. Absolute scenes when Higgy pretty much confirmed the victory, oh and Frasers goal OOOFT.

2. Kilmarnock 1-2 Thistle. The day I started to feel like we'd miss the bottom two places. Lovely sunny day, pretty drunk and decent free kick from Higgy.

3. Hearts v ICT semi. My favourite game I've watched this season. SO. MANY. SCENES.

4. Thistle 3-1 Aberdeen. We broke our home hoodoo, it was my birthday weekend and nobody expected us to win.

5. Thistle 4-0 Ross County. Doesn't get better starting the season in such style. County were guff, however we were an absolute joy to watch.

In ascending order

5. Beating Groningen on their patch, I hadn't fancied our chances too much out there truth be told but we were well worthy the victory

4. Lifting the League cup. 19 years I have waited for a trophy and this would be higher if it had not been such a awful game.

3. Beating Celtic on their own patch in the cup. I never made it and just watched it in the pub but bumped into a few celtic supporting pals that night who had attended. Not one of them had any complaints about the result, it was satisfying.

2. Rinsing utd at Tannadice a couple of weeks ago, it might have only been two nil but after 20 odd years of trips there I have never seen us look so imperious on their turf. Loved it!

1. League cup semi. Fantastic performance and result in the best stadium for atmosphere in Scotland.

5) Accies 10 - 2 Morton

Gave us momentum going into the play - offs and was funny seeing Accies within the top 3 stories of the BBC's main football page and get the publicity we did even if we didn't win the league.

4) Motherwell 0 - 4 Accies

We've been somewhat in the shadow of Motherwell for as long as I can remember but this game showed the gulf in the two sides and gave us a hint of a potential power shift in Lanarkshire. A complete and utter thrashing, brilliant having a party at our rival's ground whilst their quickly piling out.

3) The last - minute goals

Speaks for itself really.

2) Celtic 0 - 1 Accies

Say what you want about this Celtic team, going to Park Head and winning as a newly promoted team (when was the last time it happened?) is an incredible achievement and shows how far this wee club has come. Singing "top of the league and you're no" away to Celtic. A product of our very own youth system scoring the winner. The seethe from the Celtic fans at school the Monday after. Everything about it was brilliant.

1) Hibernian 0 - 2 Accies

Unbefuckinglievable!

1. Aberdeen 0-1 Motherwell. Amazing last day of the season leaving the dandies in tears. Hilarious listening on the radio on the drive home

2. Accies vs Hibs playoff. It was absolute perfection with the celebrations from Butcher after the first leg then the second leg was scripted beautifully. Early Accies goal left Hibs shitting themselves, 3 defensive subs to hold on then losing a goal in the last seconds, inept in extra time and the cherry on top of the first leg hero missing in the shootout.

3. John Baird's goal in the Ramsden cup final.

4. St Johnstone vs United cup final was a very entertaining game.

5. Maloney's goal vs Ireland.

Archived