Motherwell vs The Jags - 27 Dec

Right, gonna get this one started. Yesterday was a kick in the b@lls for Thistle but we still pulled further away from bottom 2, altho top six hopes dented. Reading the reports from the st mirren motherwell game it appears that Motherwell were dreadful, so im going for an away win. 2 1 Thistle... Fraser and Stevenson.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say we were dreadful but we weren't that good either.

St. Mirren didn't have many chances but we didn't create much either. I think we have looked very nervous and inhibited in the two matches against St. Mirren and Ross County and that we played much better against Dundee Utd and, for the second half at any rate, against Celtic.

Overall I think we are definitely improving after a terrible start to the season, we've doubled our points tally in the last five weeks and we were one kick of the ball away from beating Ross County.

Baraclough made a few good tactical changes yesterday that improved us in the second half and I think we will be better next week with him having actually seen us play as manager.

Partick have done well this season with what is basically a journey man squad. 1 defeat in 7, no more than 1 goal conceded in 8 of the last 9, both good runs. They completely outplayed us at Fir Park but we will be better this time.

We should really be looking to win these games and I'd be pretty disappointed if we lost it.

Frans and McMillan back please. And Craigen out of the team. Then we're good to go. Hopefully we can repeat the performance from the Firhill game, although I'd highly doubt Motherwell can be as poor as that again so should be closer this time round. 2-1 Thistle, Stevenson and Higginbotham late on to finally have it be someone else conceding a last minute goal.

Stick on home win I reckon, we're playing Motherwell at a horrible time with the new manager's first home game coming just after his first win. I can also only ever remember us being pish and losing at Fir Park.

I reckon we might rotate a bit with the games coming thick and fast so wouldn't be surprised to see Doolan and/or Lawless and/or Carroll come in. However James Craigen will of course still play the whole game.

Now we have distanced ourselves from St Mirren a bit we should be looking to catch Partick so this is a crucial game IMO.

I reckon 1-0 to the Well. Sadly wont be there as I'm at Deveronvale v Turriff instead though.

A tough game but my glass is half-full lately so I'll go for Motherwell 1 (Philliben) Partick Thistle 2 (McGlashan; Albert Craig). Hopefully have McMillan back for this as we really missed him yesterday and the knock on effects of him being unavailable.

St. Mirren didn't have many chances but we didn't create much either. I think we have looked very nervous and inhibited in the two matches against St. Mirren and Ross County and that we played much better against Dundee Utd and, for the second half at any rate, against Celtic.

Overall I think we are definitely improving after a terrible start to the season, we've doubled our points tally in the last five weeks and we were one kick of the ball away from beating Ross County.

Baraclough made a few good tactical changes yesterday that improved us in the second half and I think we will be better next week with him having actually seen us play as manager.

Partick have done well this season with what is basically a journey man squad. 1 defeat in 7, no more than 1 goal conceded in 8 of the last 9, both good runs. They completely outplayed us at Fir Park but we will be better this time.

We should really be looking to win these games and I'd be pretty disappointed if we lost it.

Journey man squad? What what what? Also last game was at Firhill ;)

Rest of your post is spot on. What has Barraclough changed so far?

We do seem to miss McMillan when he doesn't play. Hopefully the personal reasons were nothing too serious.

Hopefully a trip to Fir Park can fire Higgy up, the game in February last year pretty much kick started his season and he was our best player from there on in. Since his injury he's not been quite right but he did play a good part in the goal yesterday plus set up Craigen for his chance in the first half. Should have scored in the second half but he tried to beat the covering defender one more time than he needed to.

We used to have not a bad record through there in the 90s but it's been dismal in our last few visits.

Probably go for Motherwell 2 (Sutton 89, Ainsworth 90) Thistle 1 (Higginbotham 47)

Partick have done well this season with what is basically a journey man squad.

I'm sure that Conrad Balatoni, Stephen O'Donnell, Gary Fraser, Stuart Bannigan, James Craigan, Christie Elliott, Stevie Lawless, Jake Carroll, Aaron Muirhead, Nathan Ecclestone, Sean Welsh, Declan McDaid, David Wilson, Dale Keenan and Liam Lindsay, all of whom have featured in our match day squads this season, most of whom regularly, and all of whom are under the age of 25, will appreciate being described as journeymen, on the basis one can only presume that they inhabit the same squad as Paul Gallagher and Ryan Stevenson, the only two players on the Thistle books to be over 30.

We'll be taking intricate notes on journeymen from a side with Steven Hammell, Simon Ramsden, Steven McManus, Paul Lawson, John Sutton and Keith Lasley on their books. Of that you can be certain.

Partick have done well this season with what is basically a journey man squad.

1) we probably have one of the youngest squads in the SPFL

2) the same goes for us. We should always be looking to beat the teams that are below us in the league!!

I'm sure that Conrad Balatoni, Stephen O'Donnell, Gary Fraser, Stuart Bannigan, James Craigan, Christie Elliott, Stevie Lawless, Jake Carroll, Aaron Muirhead, Nathan Ecclestone, Sean Welsh, Declan McDaid, David Wilson, Dale Keenan and Liam Lindsay, all of whom have featured in our match day squads this season, most of whom regularly, and all of whom are under the age of 25, will appreciate being described as journeymen, on the basis one can only presume that they inhabit the same squad as Paul Gallagher and Ryan Stevenson, the only two players on the Thistle books to be over 30.

We'll be taking intricate notes on journeymen from a side with Steven Hammell, Simon Ramsden, Steven McManus, Paul Lawson, John Sutton and Keith Lasley on their books. Of that you can be certain.

A journeyman is someone who has completed an apprenticeship but can not yet be considered a master. I actually think this fits our squad quite well.

Archived