Should clubs be fined for multiple postponements?

No match thread for this one, which is just as well because for the second week in a row the Borough Briggs turf has been deemed unplayable.

Both parties lose out from a postponement but I think it's least fair on the Shire and Berwick players and fans- they have had their weekend plans (and perhaps paid-for train tickets) replaced with the unenviable and costly Tuesday night journey north.

It doesn't offend me when Elgin or Albion Rovers can't host games in the Winter, on the whole I sympathise, but it does bring me to ask an honest question: how many postponements are too many, and when should the SPFL start dishing out the punishments?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Phoenix
how many postponements are too many, and when should the SPFL start dishing out the punishments?

We must not have a water-logged pitch.

We must not have a water-logged pitch.

We must not have a water-logged pitch

etc etc etc

I work until half 8 during the week so i cant make midweek games. Im sure a few years ago Elgin bought covers for the pitch so why dont they put them down. Would make sense to put them down a day or two before a match. Disgrace

Are you a season ticket holder, Jason?

Perhaps rather than a harsh fine to line the pockets of the governors, teams who can't maintain their pitches should be made to refund all those ST-holders who have paid to see 9 home games before Christmas but have been forced to miss four of them.

(To be fair to Elgin- two of them were due to Scottish Cup replays which are well within the rules.)

Are you a season ticket holder, Jason?

Perhaps rather than a harsh fine to line the pockets of the governors, teams who can't maintain their pitches should be made to refund all those ST-holders who have paid to see 9 home games before Christmas but have been forced to miss four of them.

(To be fair to Elgin- two of them were due to Scottish Cup replays which are well within the rules.)

I am a season ticket holder so it annoys me more that games are postponed.

Postponing the day before makes sense sometimes especially for berwick if it takes them that long to get up here then realise its postponed.

We did get a new pitch cover that had some amount of money spent on it supposidly but doubt it could help all the time if it rains or snows also drainage is pretty poor and we are teuchters from the north pole as some of yous say so our weather isnt always the best at this time of year.

If a club has the means to prevent a game getting called off and they don't, then they should be punished no matter if it's the first time or not.

If they don't have the means, it shouldn't matter how many times. No punishment. Because it serves absolutely no purpose.

Postponing the day before makes sense sometimes especially for berwick if it takes them that long to get up here then realise its postponed.

We did get a new pitch cover that had some amount of money spent on it supposidly but doubt it could help all the time if it rains or snows also drainage is pretty poor and we are teuchters from the north pole as some of yous say so our weather isnt always the best at this time of year.

How many times have they put the covers down when it's raining or the chance of rain? Might not help but it's worth a try at least.

Why we don't play football in the summer is ridiculous. It's time we changed the season, it's no hard....

SFA have been trialling with juveniles and the Ladies leagues for a couple of years now so it's on the agenda but it is hard the way football is structured nowadays. Might work for the lower leagues but for the top leagues in each country it get's complicated when you work in European competitions, TV schedules etc. and they clash with other major summer sports such as cricket, tennis, golf etc. Fair to say though it's the lower leagues where the problem is.

Don't see any point in punishments. The teams that struggle with this issue are the ones most in need of help, not punishment. If the SPFL were interested they could initiate some kind of welfare pot and help clubs like Elgin, and by proxy all other teams subject to risk of late cancellation, but we all know the SPFL is all about the top two leagues. Fans will be the last consideration.

Borough Briggs used to have pretty decent drainage and is usually much more prone to frost postponements rather than waterlogging but I heard yesterday that the flood alleviation works behind the ground have messed with the water table and made the drainage at the ground really poor. I've no idea what a water table is but there seems to be some truth in it.

Was in the city club last night for a beer and had a wee look out at the pitch. There appeared to be puddles in places where there's never been puddles before so there must be some truth in the flood alleviation works hampering the drainage. Used to be the stand side that was the issue but now appears to be the enclosure side and center circle areas. Would have been a hat scarf and multiple layers job for anyone that was planning to watch today's game... It's feckin boltic!

Archived