Current Longest Serving Player

Ours is technically Kyle Benedictus, but as he's out on loan and unlikely to ever feature for us again, it then falls to Gary Irvine.

Gary Irvine is our side's go to boo boy. Why? Because, in his 5 seasons with us, the past 2 (Some would say 3) he's been out of his depth. Yet still managed to get a game. Handed the captain's armband when Harkins and Rhys Weston both departed, Irvine started to struggle having been our PotY in our Deefiant season.

This season, however, he's been a revelation. Hartley stripped the armband off him and handed it straight to Thomson. We've a team full of leaders such as our Deefiant season captain, Gary Harkins, Hibs ex-captain James McPake, cop beater Paul McGowan, ex-Raith captain Iain Davidson and others, yet with Thomson's injury, Irvine's reclaimed the captain's armband whenever he's been absent and turned in some quality performances at LB. Left back being a position he has no right to play considering at times he was looking out of his depth at RB in the Championship at times.

Certainly, we need a new LB but what he's done is commendable and he's managed to do something you don't see often at Dens Park and that is slowly start to turn the fans back in his favour. Irvine is currently keeping Dyer out the team and will unlikely be a first choice provided we sign a new LB, but his turnaround has been much welcome and he's surprised a lot this season.

Anyways, who is your club's longest serving player? What's your feeling on him? And who's your clubs boo-boy? Can they turn it around?

Cheers.

Kris Doolan made his first team debut in January 09- Bannigan and Scully may have been on the books longer via youth system but didn't debut til later and although Archie played (and got sent off) for the u20s last year I don't think he's registered as a player any more.

I can see Dools playing out most of the rest of his career with us if we stay round about this level or even drop down in a couple of years. I'd love to see him become the first Thistle player in my lifetime to get 100 goals for us, think he's on 60-something at the moment, maybe 70 so would need another 3/4 years probably.

Boo boy generally changes from week to week- although in the last couple of years there's not been many players booed at the games. Stevenson was probably the man until about 3 weeks ago but now he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Steven Anderson is our current longest serving and I'd argue our most decorated player. He joined the club in 2004, turning down a 6 month deal to remain at Dundee United to sign a 1 year deal with us, and is one of John Connolly's rare success stories. He was initially used as a full back rather than a centre back, and it took him years to really establish himself, but he's one of the first names on the team sheets now.

He's been with us through loads of semi finals in both competitions, a challenge cup win, a 1st division win, three European campaigns and he's also a Scottish cup winner with us, scoring the opening goal in the final on the way. He still has 18 months left on his current deal and by the end of that, barring any bad injuries, he will also be our record appearance holder. He's only 28 too.

I can't see him playing for anyone else unless we release him.

I love him.

Think Sean Dillon has to be our longest serving player by now, in the first team anyway. Only other ones I could think of are possibly Mark Wilson - not one stretch obviously - and Keith Watson - who wasn't a regular until about 4 years ago. Dillon's certainly had the most first team appearances out of the three.

While he's certainly had his detractors through the years - myself included - but now I think most United fans think that he's been a fine servant to the club, and a good guy to have at the club, especially to help the younger lads come through.

As for boo boys, I don't think there is anyone that we boo, but the prevailing opinion is that Mackay-Steven hasn't looked like half the players he's been in previous seasons.

Steven Anderson is our current longest serving and I'd argue our most decorated player. He joined the club in 2004, turning down a 6 month deal to remain at Dundee United to sign a 1 year deal with us, and is one of John Connolly's rare success stories. He was initially used as a full back rather than a centre back, and it took him years to really establish himself, but he's one of the first names on the team sheets now.

He's been with us through loads of semi finals in both competitions, a challenge cup win, a 1st division win, three European campaigns and he's also a Scottish cup winner with us, scoring the opening goal in the final on the way. He still has 18 months left on his current deal and by the end of that, barring any bad injuries, he will also be our record appearance holder. He's only 28 too.

I can't see him playing for anyone else unless we release him.

I love him.

Ando is a legend.

Boo boy. Probably McDonald. He is utterly shite though tbh.

Ando is a legend.

Boo boy. Probably McDonald. He is utterly shite though tbh.

McDonald and Gary Miller for the boo boys. I can't see either turning it round. McDonald is fighting the ghost perception, although I don't think he's ever done too badly for us, a few misplaced back passes aside. Gary Miller is the weakest of our 6 defensive options and I'd rather see a younger player replace him.

Chris Millar used to be a target too, which is just sheer stupidity.

McDonald and Gary Miller for the boo boys. I can't see either turning it round. McDonald is fighting the ghost perception, although I don't think he's ever done too badly for us, a few misplaced back passes aside. Gary Miller is the weakest of our 6 defensive options and I'd rather see a younger player replace him.

Chris Millar used to be a target too, which is just sheer stupidity.

Tbf Millar was a shit wide man.

Alex Neil will be ours, think he's been at the club nearly a decade, great player who has influenced and ran our midfield almost every game he's played, which he still can do, Saturday as evidence. Can be a bit hot headed and daft at times, reminds me a lot of Paul Scholes that way.

Tbf Millar was a shit wide man.

He isn't a wide man though, it clearly wasn't his game. I don't think booing and shouting abuse at players who aren't comfortable in a position is particularly helpful.

He isn't a wide man though, it clearly wasn't his game. I don't think booing and shouting abuse at players who aren't comfortable in a position is particularly helpful.

Ohh I'm not saying I did. I was merely making a comment. Ohh aye that and the fact he arrived as a goal scoring midfielder. What's that now......!

I love ando as well. Remember standing in shock when I realised he had scored the 1st goal in the cup final. Model pro and is a rock.

Seem to remember doobs helping him out when he joined. Definitely improved after playing with him

Archived