St Johnstone v ICT 20/12/14 KO 1500.

Hard to judge how this one will go. Saints are on a good run of form without actually playing that well and Caley are flying high at the top end of the league although they got a pumping from Partick at the weekend.

Seems likely that Tartan Army Hero Faddy will miss this one and he's been our main creative force recently.

Can O'Halloran and Graham stop fighting long enough to pass to each other?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team is picking itself at the moment. McFadden's injury will allow Croft back in. Other than that, I can't see us making any changes.

Inverness have a rather massive team, so I wouldn't be against us bringing Davidson back in for his height.

I'd take a draw to be honest - Inverness are a right good team.

Our relegation campaign has lost momentum as we've picked up far too many points recently and slipped into the top six again. We need a few defeats or we could be in danger of challenging Hamilton for fifth place.

We've managed to claw the top six back with victories over the bottom sides, so this upcoming run of top six teams will really define how our chances of finishing in the top half really are, pretty bad for us that Caley got pumped in the last game as they seem the type who'll respond with a decent performance next time around. We don't have a great record at McDiarmid against Caley, winning only two of the last six fixtures, although we did manage a 4-0 last season.

If McFaddens out the obvious solution is Croft in and Wotherspoon moved central, or even dropping Graham back, put O'Halloran up top and Croft/Wotherspoon on the wings as TW seems to like these days. Wouldn't want Davidson in the midfield just now myself as he just seems to disrupt it for whatever reason, if he was to play further up and concentrate more on getting in the box than playmaking or winning the ball I'd be happier as that seems to be his best game. Wouldnt put it past the manager randomly putting in McDonald or Caddis though, which would be stupid. No reason to change anything else though.

Hopefully win, probably by the odd goal. When we played them in Inverness this season we actually done a decent job of swallowing up gaps and forcing Caley to play in front of us, the pace on the counter was what killed us really. The home crowd probably won't accept that but I'm not sure we have the players to play a pressing game just now, so it might be better to sit deeper and nullify the Caley attack and try and use the revitalized O'Halloran to counter Caley.

I think Davidson in for McFadden would be a wise choice. We know ICT are going to hang onto the ball as often as possible and pass it about. Murray when pushes further forward is brilliant at nicking the ball. Plus as mentioned his height and ariel ability would be invaluable against a quite frankly huge Caley team.

P.s yes I know McKay, Dorans, Shinnie are small, but let's compare. :lol:

Dropping Graham back? Jesus. He's no Steven MacLean......

Done it against Rangers, and we seemed to have done it a few times at different points in games since. Its an interesting one alright.

True but really don't think it's a wise move. He's as well staying up front with O'Halloran out the way. You need at least some kind of first touch to play deeper.

Fully agree, was just saying it might be something TW does.

With our current run of form and playing at home, not sure I'd simply settle for a point as others are suggesting. Inverness are a good team and I'm sure they'll finish at least fourth but we need to be looking to put the run of home defeats we suffered a few months ago behind us and move back towards establishing a good home record, which we've generally had in Perth over the past few years.

In saying that, you wonder how long we can maintain this run when we aren't playing all that well? This is the start of harder run of games and will give an indicator of whether we can be in the mix for a top six spot, or are likely to drop down a few places. Being honest I still feel the latter is more likely but we aren't giving much away with Frazer Wright restored to the side (5 goals conceded in 8 games) and the front three are finding the net (9 goals in 6 games between them) so that's clearly not a bad mix.

James McFadden will be a miss at home but it's a big chance for Wotherspoon to play in the more central role I think he prefers. There is no point in risking McFadden as we need him for the United game with Graham unavailable, although would be more comfortable with O'Halloran through the middle than I was at Tannadice with the form he is in. Obviously I'd select Adam Morgan but for some reason the manager won't. I just wonder if MacLean might make the bench for that one?

Yeah, it worked well against Rangers.

I never said it did? Was just pointing out its a tactic the manager seems to have grown fond of.

Yeah, it worked well against Rangers.

Quite. The idea of having O'Halloran's pace up against McCulloch was fair enough and worked to an extent but Graham in behind was a disaster. That was down to the manager and not the player though as he just doesn't have the attributes to play that role. I'll be amazed and disappointed if Wright makes the same mistake again and disagree with RG's assertion that he's done it since. Would be interested to know which games he thinks it's happened in?

What Morgan forgot whilst tweeting away on Sunday was that he'd never have got in the position to miss those chances. He'd have made the runs about five seconds too early and been in an offside position. I suspect he might be allowed to go after Saturday to spend Xmas with his family before returning to Yeovil. There's no point in making him spend Xmas up here. Poor judgement from Tommy Wright on that one, either because he hadn't watched him or if he had...

What Morgan forgot whilst tweeting away on Sunday was that he'd never have got in the position to miss those chances. He'd have made the runs about five seconds too early and been in an offside position. I suspect he might be allowed to go after Saturday to spend Xmas with his family before returning to Yeovil. There's no point in making him spend Xmas up here. Poor judgement from Tommy Wright on that one, either because he hadn't watched him or if he had...

Tommy had not watched him but seemingly taken the word of someone that he respected that Morgan could do a job. like any striker, if they score early for new club then they usually grab a few. Unfortunately Morgan looked like rabbit in headlights from first moment and that was that.

Tommy had not watched him but seemingly taken the word of someone that he respected that Morgan could do a job. like any striker, if they score early for new club then they usually grab a few. Unfortunately Morgan looked like rabbit in headlights from first moment and that was that.

Morgan isn't anywhere near good enough. If he had managed to score a goal, it would've been a Rory Fallon moment of release, before drifting back into utter shitedom.

Archived