Dundee United v Celtic - Sunday 21st December

Must admit that I never have any excitement or optimism before games against Celtic. After yesterday's utterly woeful display I have even less enthusiasm ahead of this one.

We still have Celtic, St.Johnstone and Dundee in this mini run of really tough games but after dropping all the points yesterday I look at these remaining games and I am (cautiously) optimistic that we can get 6 points (but more realistically I think we might get 4)

For team selection I would bring Morris, Telfer and Connolly back into the side -

Rado

Dillon

Morris

Fojut

Townsend

Paton

Armstrong

Erskine

Telfer

Connolly

Ciftci

I am not a huge fan of Armstrong sitting deeper but I think against Celtic we need players who are more comfortable in possession in the midfield so having Telfer and Armstrong (who could switch) would give us that. The back four has to stay like that for the next few matches, we need to get back to basics and ensuring that we are not conceding as many as we have in the last couple of months.

Don't expect anything out of this match so anything better than a defeat (it is Celtic we are playing after all) will be a bonus.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figure if we embrace the fear it will force us to forget about yesterday. I would love to have a change upfront (JMc you are to blame) but Ciftci is our only natural striker. He looked very isolated again yesterday and then as the game wore on he was getting into his usual habit of just giving up and becoming lazy and incredibly moany. He tried to play a 1-2 with Armstrong towards the end yesterday but then stopped running after Armstrong's perfectly good through ball. He then had a massive go at Armstrong despite it being totally his fault.

I really wish we had a fit Bilate or even still had Graham in the squad just to try something a bit different.

I'd rather just drop him. He needs to stop acting like a diva, and realise it's a team game. He pisses me off with his lack of commitment and being offside cos he can't be arsed running back.

Erskine had a really poor game yesterday. His first touch was terrible, but he works hard 100% of the time and never gives up.

Rado; Dillon, Morris, Fojut, Townsend; Paton, Butcher, Telfer; Armstrong, Connolly; Ciftci

Would rather go 433 with Paton sitting, Butcher running about daft kicking up shit and Telfer helping link between attack and defence. Front three are all quick and will help on the break.

Will still lose though. Obviously.

^^^ You wouldn't have Erskine in at all?

My thoughts exactly!

Rado

Dillon, Morris, Fojut, Townsend

Paton, Butcher

Connolly, Armstrong, Erskine

Ciftci

Erskine is far more justified a starting place than Telfer.

I really wish we had a fit Bilate or even still had Graham in the squad just to try something a bit different.

If we are being honest here, even if we had a fit Bilate or Graham, we would still be playing the same system of 4-2-3-1with Ciftci playing deeper

One of our biggest problem is we dont have any other system than that one. To make changes, all JMac does is swap personnel rather than formation making us become ridiculously predictable

If we are being honest here, even if we had a fit Bilate or Graham, we would still be playing the same system of 4-2-3-1with Ciftci playing deeper

One of our biggest problem is we dont have any other system than that one. To make changes, all JMac does is swap personnel rather than formation making us become ridiculously predictable

Completely agree. The most frustrating thing about McNamara is his refusal to try different systems and change the shape during games. I remember watching some of our pre-season stuff on Arabzone and McNamara talked a lot about using a 442 and trying a few new things out yet we haven't seen that at all during the season. We must be a very easy team to prepare for and yesterday was prime example of that.

Also, it seems as though we get bullied by teams more physical than us. Our players are great when we are bossing possession yet are posted missing when we need to battle to win games. Too many of them shirk the dirty side of the game

I have various criticisms I could make against McNamara, but sticking with 4-2-3-1 is not one of them. I say this as a converted 4-4-2'r.

Put out the best (on form) players as our starting line up.

Get in another striker who is a real (starting-place) challenge to Cifcti so he cannot get away with continually being a lazy, disinterested, selfish c**t.

Get in another right back as Watson is obviously fucked and it would free up Dillon to fill i wherever was required along the back four.

Never give GMS another game/place on the bench (I'll always remember you Gary for these brilliant bits of skill and off-the-seat excitement you gave).

Do these things and play 4-2-3-1 as long as you want.

Rado

Dillon, Morris, Fojut, Townsend

Paton, Butcher

Connolly, Armstrong, Erskine

Ciftci

This is the team I'd prefer as well. We need a bit of dig in midfield and Butcher gives us that, Paton less so but more than Rankin. Connolly has to play.

Which means McNanara will play Rankin, Dow and GMS.

Goodwillie was shite in his second spell with us. I'm not in the least bit surprised that you don't realise that.

Erskine was shite last year, so was Graham - oh right, it only counts for previous players.

I realise that fine. I also realise he's a fcuking good player. Maybe you should ask the Aberdeen fans.

Archived