Referee & Assistants appointments

MUSSEYBOY

A few questions.

Referee: Appointed by?

Assistant referee:Clubs can request them?

Assistant referee: Super League matches to have them no matter what?

Assistant referee: The match Referee can refuse them?

Or is it the case referees are being told to refuse them because there are none or the assistant referees don't want to go to certain venues?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Referees & assistants are appointed by the SFA, but some extra assistants seem to be provided by local referee FAs.

Apparently in at least some Junior competitions clubs can decline assistant referees, yes - in the Seniors I understand that doesn't occur. Requesting them seems unlikely/impractical, unless you simply mean a sort of "give us some assistants this weekend please Mr SFA if you can", but who knows.

Apparently the Superleagues and the West SuperFirst are supposed to have assistants.

I haven't heard of a referee being able to refuse to have assistants? Anyone?

There aren't enough for everyone due to shortages.

I can understand (though not approve) a referee ignoring or even telling their assistants not to bother with certain decisions but I just can't see them refusing to have assistants.

I can see the logic in the Scottish of a club that is likely to win away from home offering to pay for assistants just to make sure they don't lose because of something an assistant referee would pick up on.

Referees & assistants are appointed by the SFA, but some extra assistants seem to be provided by local referee FAs.

Apparently in at least some Junior competitions clubs can decline assistant referees, yes - in the Seniors I understand that doesn't occur. Requesting them seems unlikely/impractical, unless you simply mean a sort of "give us some assistants this weekend please Mr SFA if you can", but who knows.

Apparently the Superleagues and the West SuperFirst are supposed to have assistants.

I haven't heard of a referee being able to refuse to have assistants? Anyone?

There aren't enough for everyone due to shortages.

Thanks for that.

Regarding requesting assistants I think clubs can request them at our level.

The good old 'there aren't enough for everyone'

What has the SFA done to redress this shortage and have clubs been asked to help - re advertising on websites, social media or even on this excellent site?????

Thanks for that.

Regarding requesting assistants I think clubs can request them at our level.

What has the SFA done to redress this shortage and have clubs been asked to help - re advertising on websites, social media or even on this excellent site?????

Do you see the abuse that refs get on here? Then you expect folk to answer a rallying call to give up their free time and enlist to become the next subject of a poor loser's rant.

A few questions.

Referee: Appointed by?

Assistant referee:Clubs can request them?

Assistant referee: Super League matches to have them no matter what?

Assistant referee: The match Referee can refuse them?

Or is it the case referees are being told to refuse them because there are none or the assistant referees don't want to go to certain venues?

This is correct the referee at our game on Saturday had the chance of two assistant referees but declined the offer, apparently he didn't need them and proceeded to get 3 big decisions wrong.

Seems strange that super league games have 1 official but some games in premier have 3.

As far as I know in the west the top two leagues super prem and super first get them automatically. The central 1st and 2nd and ADL do not unless requested specifically by the home/away club.

It would be good to see assistants at some of the lower league games because some of the stuff that goes on out of the refs line of vision can be bad. However I can understand these clubs struggling to afford such a luxury every week/2nd week

Article seems contradictory.

Although two assistant referees were appointed for the East Super League fixture at Albyn Park, the match took place without them, as referee Duncan Smith instead opted to use a committee member from each side to run the line.

Furious Broxburn boss Steve Pittman felt the game became a “farce” without two assistants, explaining that referee Smith had told him that he chose to go without the two appointed assistant referees. He said: “The referee told us before the game that he had a chance of getting linesmen, but said ‘I don’t need them.’ He made a farce of the game.

Did 2 assistants turn-up and he sent them away?

Or had he said "I'll bring 2 with me on the day" - 'pirate' assistants, as they're apparently known - but decided against it?

No assistants were allocated to the match, other matches were then called off freeing up 2 AR that offered to help out the referee. He told them not to bother as he didn't need them.

Ok, kept quiet on this until now.

Firstly there were no officials appointed to this match why anyone would think the ref would be offered them and say "I dont need them" needs there head examined. Maybe its a case of a game at this level doesnt need them to go ahead would have been the message?? I have witnessed a few games this season at Bonnyrigg without appointed Ar`s and the game went ahead fine.

What disappoints me is the ref cant ask the ad hoc AR`s to give offsides they are only to flag for when ball goes out so what happened after the Bonnyrigg goal wasnt the person in question acting as a AR he was acting as an arse more like. Goal is given AR goes ballistic shouting and swearing at ref and he is sent off,what is wrong with this???Any official or player would have had the same treatment. Here is where it gets interesting imo, the man who is doing the "protesting" I believe is their Secretary who is also I high ranking official in SJFA. If that is the case I am disgusted at his behaviour and the the profanity from his mouth towards an official from someone in his position is a disgrace.

Whether it was on/off (fwiw it was no different to Broxburn goal so could have gone either way) is irrelevant the manner in which the protest was conducted is my issue. The game struggles to get officials and when you have got senior SJFA people berating official openly then how the fvck is the game to attract more refs etc?? Lets be honest their job is hard enough and without them we dont have a game.

As Hissy said in paper the players and managers make more mistakes every game. We as fans might get a bit wound up but the over the top headlines on this "ref send of linesman" is misrespresenting the true facts. I would go with "top SJFA official disgustingly abuses official over marginal call" Now who is the victim?

You cant train officials and give the responsibility of overseeing game then destroy them for calling a game as they see it. This is another example of how dinosaurs are taking our game backwards.

I seriously hope there are repocussions on this, not for the ref but for the official involved. The issue of whether it was on or off is insignificant marginal calls go either was, thats football, I was shouting for offside at their goal.

rant over

There you are, referees being put under pressure to say they had the offer of assistants but turned them down when in truth none were ever appointed to the game.

Questions for the association:

1) Why was the referee told to lie about having the option of assistants? (I cant honestly believe he would have turned them down) Proof that they were never appointed is still on the SFAs website

2) If he did have the late option of assistants then why didn't the assistants just turn up?

3) Does any referee have the power to refuse assistants

4) In the past certain clubs have had games called off by a certain 'referee' because the behind the lines (where the assistants run) was not safe - should that referee have just refused the assistants in order to get the game on?

5) As posted above the conduct of the Broxburn official was wrong. Should the game not have been abondoned and an win to the other team not have been the outcome

6) As for the headline in the paper - if you think it is misrepresenting the true facts (and i agree with you) then will you advise the club to ban your team from talking to said paper or will you continue you to let them misrepresent the true fact.

The referee for the above game had a great game by the way. I can't say if the bonnyrigg goal was on or offside because unlike the Broxburn management team it is impossible to be at both ends of the park at the same time!

The Broxburn goal was a tight call but he gave the call to the attacking team and it looked correct.

Sadly it seams that Broxburn have been watching too many Newtongrange games with the keeper running outside his box to argue with the referee and many players surrounding him as well

Even worse was the fact that like Newtongrange all the players who protested got away with it!

Anyone want to place a bet there are assistants at all super league games on Saturday?

i have seen excellent refereeing this season with no assistance. Off hand Duncan Smith, Gavin Thomson and Evan Cairns. These officials are clearly rated highly in the game and more often than not are not given assistant referees. But as was said in the post above it is surely unfair to ask any referee to make all the major calls in a game as even when they are right in the case of the game above - a fan will question the call either way.

Which brings us back to the 2nd part of the question - What have the SFA done to encourage more folk to become referees? where are the adverts if there is a real shortage, why have the Evening times and the Sun not been asked to run a feature in return for getting the scottish draw?

Im sure I read on here yesterday? tahts a ref had then got three big calls wrong.

They were wrong in your opinion, presumably because they disadvantaged your team.

A boost would be if junior fans didn't come on here to attack the standard of refereeing - which they do, repeatedly.

Archived