Challenge Cup Final - Alloa Athletic v Livingston

BFTD

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, they'd probably institute a Rangers-Stranraer playoff :lol:!!

Rulebook says any club "failing to fulfil its fixture obligations ... shall be liable to be disqualified".

However, as with any rulebook the Board has the power to amend or over-ride, and you'd imagine there would be pressure to have a Final.

If Livi do go out of business before the final they really should let Stranraer go through in their place but then again its the SPFL were talking about.

If Livi do go out of business before the final they really should let Stranraer go through in their place but then again its the SPFL were talking about.

I disagree. Stranrear have been knocked out. If one of the two teams who have qualified for the final can't take part in that final then the other becomes the winner by default.

I am of course assuming the competition rules do not provide differently, in which case they would take precedence.

As noted above they say Livi would be disqualified - i.e. Alloa awarded the cup? That'd be pretty unsatisfactory though and reinstating their defeated SF opponent a solution.

I hadn't seen your post, HJ.

I agree it would be unsatisfactory, but surely allowing any team which has been properly knocked out to play in the final would be even more so?

No matter what happens at Livi, I doubt they'll be allowed to go out of business before the end of the season. Gretna were kept on life support until the last kick of the last game to avoid the carnage of expungement. I'm pretty sure the same would be done with Livi...unless a wiping of results benefits a certain club from Govan.

You don't think what is correct should prevail?

I do yes. What I meant to say was that I don't agree with your version of what is "correct".

Admittedly I do not know the rules of the competition, but I would be very surprised if the final isn't played even if Livi can't take part, and I believe that Stranraer should be the team to take their place.

I do yes. What I meant to say was that I don't agree with your version of what is "correct".

Admittedly I do not know the rules of the competition, but I would be very surprised if the final isn't played even if Livi can't take part, and I believe that Stranraer should be the team to take their place.

So if, say, Djokovic and Nadal qualify for the Wimbledon final, but Nadal takes ill at night and can't make the final, you think whoever he knocked out of the competition should take his place in the final?

So if, say, Djokovic and Nadal qualify for the Wimbledon final, but Nadal takes ill at night and can't make the final, you think whoever he knocked out of the competition should take his place in the final?

I think there is a difference between taking ill or being injured and being disqualified from a competition for cheating. If say, Nadal failed a drugs test the morning of the final then I absolutely think that whoever he beat in the semi should take his place.

I think there is a difference between taking ill or being injured and being disqualified from a competition for cheating. If say, Nadal failed a drugs test the morning of the final then I absolutely think that whoever he beat in the semi should take his place.

And what about the other players he knocked out in earlier rounds? Why should they be treated any differently to the player he beat in the semi?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived