Friendly March game

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of our coefficient and ranking boffins tell us what the impact of winning / drawing / losing this friendly would be on our World Cup 2018 seeding?

Can't say it's a selection which inspires me - but it'll get more of a crowd out than some more distant European opponents would. Maybe that's the idea... having set the prices for the qualifiers pretty high, is there a chance they'll do a "double ticket" for the Northern Ireland & Gibraltar games which effectively represents a substantial discount?

Any of our coefficient and ranking boffins tell us what the impact of winning / drawing / losing this friendly would be on our World Cup 2018 seeding?

Can't say it's a selection which inspires me - but it'll get more of a crowd out than some more distant European opponents would. Maybe that's the idea... having set the prices for the qualifiers pretty high, is there a chance they'll do a "double ticket" for the Northern Ireland & Gibraltar games which effectively represents a substantial discount?

This article outlines the impact of all the possible outcomes fairly well.

http://bit.ly/1uN8Spt

Very good article. It would look like losing to Ireland is calamitous in just about every way...!

It also vindicates my position that playing England was always a terrible idea.

From that article: "the impact of a win is so small, the game is not worth playing"

well, maybe - if the only reason we were playing was for ranking points.

From that article: "the impact of a win is so small, the game is not worth playing"

well, maybe - if the only reason we were playing was for ranking points.

That is what the whole article is about so I think it's fair to assume he means "not worth playing" in the rankings points sense. Given the effect if we lose it I think it is a bit foolish to be playing NI then, it seems the SFA have taken a decision to ignore the ranking system completely.I can understand not making it the main consideration when arranging friendlies, but it surely should be a consideration, it's about the only thing that the SFA can do to improve our chances of qualification.

That is what the whole article is about so I think it's fair to assume he means "not worth playing" in the rankings points sense. Given the effect if we lose it I think it is a bit foolish to be playing NI then, it seems the SFA have taken a decision to ignore the ranking system completely.I can understand not making it the main consideration when arranging friendlies, but it surely should be a consideration, it's about the only thing that the SFA can do to improve our chances of qualification.

That and not appointing lame-duck managers

Archived