Festive Period Fixtures

bc57

At semi professional football you have paying fans, many will be looking for a game to go over the festive period , money to be made for clubs. Players should be available to play two days after Christmas at this level of football. If that commitment is to much for them then maybe this level of football is not for them.

The players can still enjoy the festive period and new year as long as they make plans and take into account their football it's simple.

No surprise to see I totally disagree with you RRG

You don't half talk some rubbish

These guys get paid buttons to play, some of them only expenses

And yet you want them to turn up twice around xmas and new year just for your entertainment

These guys have families and maybe want a xmas break, let their hair down, have a few beers, food etc

As another poster said ,it's fine if you are on EpL or even Spl wages, that's your job, your main source of income, so tough you have to work to the fixture calendar

These guys on the other hand aren't. How would you feel RRG if you were ordered to work 2 days either side of xmas and new year without a break?

Anyway if your lot play on 27th or 3rd, they will probably lose anyway

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise to see I totally disagree with you RRG

Oh no ! gutted

You don't half talk some rubbish

Oh right , thats me told !! :rolleyes:

These guys get paid buttons to play, some of them only expenses
And yet you want them to turn up twice around xmas and new year just for your entertainment.

Yes i do , to play football on a saturday , two days after christmas and two days after new years day ,not ideal but not totally unreasonable , IMO. The association rules also require teams to play on these dates as pointed out elsewhere.

These guys have families and maybe want a xmas break, let their hair down, have a few beers, food etc

Junior football requires that bit more commitment than your amateur football , one of my mates good player plays amateur football because he isn't willing to give the commitment needed at junior level ( amateur football in the main shuts down over christmas and he loves a drink and a takeaway) , another guy i know plays junior football and i was speaking to him tonight , he has planned his december all out where he can enjoy himself and still play his football . Nobody in his life family etc are missing out on him being around over that period .

Obviously every player is different , if one of my own teams players isn't avaliable over the festive period, i won't scream blue murder but i would be hopeful the vast majority of my teams players can plan things out so they can play .

As another poster said ,it's fine if you are on EpL or even Spl wages, that's your job, your main source of income, so tough you have to work to the fixture calendar

These guys on the other hand aren't. How would you feel RRG if you were ordered to work 2 days either side of xmas and new year without a break?

I will be working over christmas and new year in my job.

I also commit ( 6-8 hours a week ) myself to helping a friend run his business with very little financial reward other than helping a friend out . I have made a commitment to him and accept he may need me at times that are not always ideal.

I won't get much of a break at all with all that ,along with family commitments , watching the football and of course posting on this :P .

Anyway if your lot play on 27th or 2nd, they will probably lose anyway

Great reply , very witty , unfortunately we can't all be as good as the mighty nauld. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid you're a sad lonely old man then RRG and so is your mate who planned his football around Christmas. Family is more important than football to me anyway.

I think most sane people also agree with me here. ;)

FFs . He sees his family over christmas and new year , obviously they are most important thing to him as they are to all of us but he is going to play football on a saturday afternoon though not an expedition to the artic.

Oh i am not old , not yet anyway :P

FFs . He sees his family over christmas and new year , obviously they are most important thing to him as they are to all of us but he is going to play football on a saturday afternoon though not an expedition to the artic.

Oh i am not old , not yet anyway :P

There's a kibbutz in Kirky,RRG? :huh:

As a staunch believer of the West Region's September Weekend off, I'm starting a steering committee to ask for games to be postponed for Easter, the October school holidays, Burn's Night, Halloween and Guy Fawlkes night. This can easily be sorted out by playing four games a week at the end of the season when competitions come to an end, the league is decided and FC Stoneywood and Kilbirnie get their Scottish tie played.

As a staunch believer of the West Region's September Weekend off, I'm starting a steering committee to ask for games to be postponed for Easter, the October school holidays, Burn's Night, Halloween and Guy Fawlkes night. This can easily be sorted out by playing four games a week at the end of the season when competitions come to an end, the league is decided and FC Stoneywood and Kilbirnie get their Scottish tie played.

So that'll be another season when we play on Yom Kippur! Great plannin' Dimps. :angry:

PS. Oy Veh,I should worry. ;)

Only in Scotland would we want games off so players can have a swally

This pretty much sums it up.

Clubs throughout the season correctly show players plenty of discretion to go to weddings, stag doos, holidays & weekends away during the campaign so I don't think its unreasonable for players to still enjoy Boxing Day without getting totally hammered because your playing football the next day.

Its not a Sunday morning kick about the juniors and has been said its a semi professional standard of football where some clubs are paying large wages particularly so in the top leagues.

Personally I really enjoy games on the 27th and it gets you out the house for a bit and away from the festivities

Only in Scotland would we want games off so players can have a swally

Pretty much spot on. Guys can get arsed every week of the year; it's not like Christmas / New Year is the one time of the year that people have a drink. We seem to associate any sort of holiday with getting wrecked.

I'll be having the one sweet sherry and off to bed before eleven.

The fitba is part of the entertainment industry, even if the players aren't getting paid that much. Nothing beats getting out of the house round about Christmas / New Year and getting to a game.

This pretty much sums it up.

Clubs throughout the season correctly show players plenty of discretion to go to weddings, stag doos, holidays & weekends away during the campaign so I don't think its unreasonable for players to still enjoy Boxing Day without getting totally hammered because your playing football the next day.

Its not a Sunday morning kick about the juniors and has been said its a semi professional standard of football where some clubs are paying large wages particularly so in the top leagues.

Personally I really enjoy games on the 27th and it gets you out the house for a bit and away from the festivities

Agree with some of your points Hertha! As a player it's always good to be playing cause no doubt if we weren't then most gaffers would have their players in training at some point over the festive period! Now teams need to prepare for games on the 27th with probably only one training session due to the fact Xmas is on the Thursday! Can't see teams training on Xmas eve! Not ideal! Are you short changing the paying punter cause you can't prepare you team as you would normally do??

Also it's only technically semi pro for some players as some players are on amateur contracts. So can they be branded as a semi pro??

I can see both sides of the argument and I think the sjfa wouldn't win either way to be honest! As I said as a player I would prefer to play but I know others who wouldn't!

So guess clubs have not had the choice to not play on 27th as there is a full card of fixtures up for this date

The 3rd Jan fixtures are also already up.

But since that's more than 28 days ahead, to get to them you have to use the "Select Days" option on the drop-down menu, then choose by competition, then expand January 2015.

Looking around, most Scottish leagues are playing, not just West Region.

Scottish League has a full card on both weekends, with derbies on January 3rd. Ditto the Lowland League... Highland League have derbies on both weekends, home-n-away. South of Scotland League seem to have no games on December 27th but full card of cup-ties on January 3rd... while East Region of Juniors have apparently given clubs the choice with about a dozen games over the 2 weekends. East of Scotland League usually do similarly.

Archived