£4K for a car

chimneyman

Hopefully I'm going to pass my driving test tomorrow, and go car shopping at the weekend!

I've got £4K cash to spend as well as some money put aside for servicing and insurance.

Arnold Clark are doing £300 off any used car, on top of any other negotiated discount, so I'm hopefully I'll be able to know at least £500 off the price of any used car. I know they've probably increased each car by £300 in recent weeks, but that's another issue!

So, I'm looking for some recommendations, as I really don't have much of a clue. I want something small, cheap to run and insure, something like a Yaris, 207, Twingo, maybe a Clio. I also like the old style Megane, with the angled back end.

I want a car to last 2 year without giving me any major repair headaches, and am happy to sacrifice looks and performance for something that's going to last.

Any of you fine chaps make any recommendations?? Would also be awesome if you could advise of any big potential repair costs that would be required on the models I've mentioned. I'm primarily looking at 2006-2008 models.

Any links to cars on the AC site would be brilliant.

Thanks all!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully I'm going to pass my driving test tomorrow, and go car shopping at the weekend!

I've got £4K cash to spend as well as some money put aside for servicing and insurance.

Arnold Clark are doing £300 off any used car, on top of any other negotiated discount, so I'm hopefully I'll be able to know at least £500 off the price of any used car. I know they've probably increased each car by £300 in recent weeks, but that's another issue!

So, I'm looking for some recommendations, as I really don't have much of a clue. I want something small, cheap to run and insure, something like a Yaris, 207, Twingo, maybe a Clio. I also like the old style Megane, with the angled back end.

I want a car to last 2 year without giving me any major repair headaches, and am happy to sacrifice looks and performance for something that's going to last.

Any of you fine chaps make any recommendations?? Would also be awesome if you could advise of any big potential repair costs that would be required on the models I've mentioned. I'm primarily looking at 2006-2008 models.

Any links to cars on the AC site would be brilliant.

Thanks all!

This should be good.

I had a 54 plate Fiesta for a few years and it was brilliant.

I currently drive a Seat Ibiza. Decent car. Not that great on fuel for short journeys but if your on the motorway a lot you get more MPG. Its pretty much a Volkswagen but with a different badge on the front.

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/seat/ibiza/1.2-reference-3dr-[70]/2007-(57)/ref/arnal-u-20802/

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/seat/ibiza/1.4-formula-sport-3dr/2007-(57)/ref/arneb-u-12068/

I would advise going to Arnold Clark and listening to the salesman, giving him £3,970 , cash, driving away your motor and using the £30 left for the taxi home.

First things first, don't go to Arnold Clark. I hope this helps.

What to AC do to their cars to make them so awful?

Like the Fiesta. Added to shortlist

I currently drive a Seat Ibiza. Decent car. Not that great on fuel for short journeys but if your on the motorway a lot you get more MPG. Its pretty much a Volkswagen but with a different badge on the front.

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/seat/ibiza/1.2-reference-3dr-[70]/2007-(57)/ref/arnal-u-20802/

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/seat/ibiza/1.4-formula-sport-3dr/2007-(57)/ref/arneb-u-12068/

Looks a bit bigger than what I need, plus my commute to work is only a few miles. Motorway driving will probably be limited to once or twice a week at most, at least for the first year or so.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Agree with above. generally OK price wise for cars, but definitely swerve them for servicing and MOTs. And dont let them talk you into buying service plans, pre-paid MOTs etc.

I bought a megane from them about 8 years ago for £4k. Within 3 years I spent nearly that on it again getting it fixed. So I'd say avoid the Renaults.

Cracking cars - the second one there is a bit high on mileage and road tax.

What to AC do to their cars to make them so awful?

Not so much their cars but more to do with the aftercare. It's absolutely shocking.

Get a corsa. I know you see them absolute everywhere but they are tidy wee cars.

I have a 55 plate Corsa Sxi twinport+ (don't have a clue what that means :lol: ). 34000 miles. Got it on gumtree from an old lady who was the only owner. I have spent about a tenner on repairs since I got it last year.

Before you make a decision, check the likes of Gumtree and Auto Trader. If you're patient you find some good deals.

Not so much their cars but more to do with the aftercare. It's absolutely shocking.

Get a corsa. I know you see them absolute everywhere but they are tidy wee cars.

I have a 55 plate Corsa Sxi twinport+ (don't have a clue what that means :lol: ). 34000 miles. Got it on gumtree from an old lady who was the only owner. I have spent about a tenner on repairs since I got it last year.

Before you make a decision, check the likes of Gumtree and Auto Trader. If you're patient you find some good deals.

I like the Corsa - I've been taking lessons in a 2013 SXi.

The only reason I've largely discounted them is because I've presumed there's a fair chance of them having neglectful previous owners!

Archived