Local Players In You Junior Team

RobRoyGuy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the players live in an area which is over 1000 square miles? Ayrshire is a very vague term to describe over 60 different towns and villages!

The starting line up against Meadow had eight players that live in a 15 mile radius of Auchinleck. Yes Ayrshire is a big shire but the vast majority of it is fields as we are always reminded about when we visit bigger towns. We have no players from the the three largest towns Ayr, Killie and Irvine. What's remarkable is the fact that Talbot are made up of local lads.

We have always been a club that attract players from where our management are based.

We had Dennis gray who was Kilmarnock based and that ensured an influx of Ayrshire/ Killie/ Ayr based guys as he knew the scene very well.

Now we've got johnny in charge we attract guys from Renfrewshire / Glasgow area as that's where he's based.

I think it stands to reason that most managers have got their contacs within a reasonable local proximity.

At the moment we don't have a single player from beith and only a given few from Ayrshire.

I think that's the crux of the problem there. It obviously makes sense any manager to bring in players he trusts, but it is undoubtedly off putting to local players. There should be a favouritism towards local players but instead it is preserved for those in the manager's postcode.

Not enough junior teams actively encourage local boys to push for the big team. For example, I heard that Kilwinning train with their under 19's. That is great motivation to young local boys, but it appears to be a rare exception.

Archived