Local Players In You Junior Team

RobRoyGuy

Always something that interests me , when i first started watching my team the majority of the players were from kirky or nearby . Then we had a spell when the vast majority of the players were from glasgow / lanarkshire or further afield. Now we are slowly getting back to having more local based players playing for us which is pleasing . 3 from kirky , 4 from stepps , 1 campsie , 2 cumbernauld, 2 moodiesburn.

How many local players from your town / village or nearby your town or village ( maybe 2 or 3 miles ) play for your club this season.

Just interested to see which teams are made of more or local players and which get players from further afield.

Also when teams like auchinleck in the 80's early 90's , cambuslang in the 70's were dominating would they have been made up of mostly local guys ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant Weir and Iain Fisher - two Theesel stars with the most pitch time this season - are both from Largs, as is Euan Lindsay, while Stevie Kyle and Creag Little both come from Skelmorlie.

Every other team member comes from Inverclyde except from Archie McNicol - Arran, though living in Glasgow - Sean Lawrence - Rothesay - Mark Murray - Kilmarnock - and Graham Muir - Kilwinning. All pretty local to Theesel though!

Talbot team on Saturday had nine Ayrshire boys in the starting line up.

So the players live in an area which is over 1000 square miles? Ayrshire is a very vague term to describe over 60 different towns and villages!

Mark Blakey and Eddie McTernan are Barrhead boys in the Arthurlie side, last season we also had Stephen McKeown and Graham Barbour, the Arthurlie 98 cup winning team had Steven Convery, David Fulton, and Johnmy Millar and I 'think' Gavin Duncan although not a local lad was staying in the town at the time

So the players live in an area which is over 1000 square miles? Ayrshire is a very vague term to describe over 60 different towns and villages!

The advent of the motorised verchle has made many places local that in yonder days of cart or steam were distant!

The fact they have so many from Ayrshire is laudable rather than an opportunity to nitpick surely? What's the catchment area if Ayrshire as opposed to Glasgow never mind strathclyde?

The advent of the motorised verchle has made many places local that in yonder days of cart or steam were distant!

The fact they have so many from Ayrshire is laudable rather than an opportunity to nitpick surely? What's the catchment area if Ayrshire as opposed to Glasgow never mind strathclyde?

In the spirit of nit-picking, I cannot help but wonder if you need a licence to operate a motorised verchle.

I consider the whole of Ayrshire to be a rather large area, which is why I brought it up. I'd have done the same had someone said Strathclyde. But not for Glasgow - which is a city, and not a county.

In the spirit of nit-picking, I cannot help but wonder if you need a licence to operate a motorised verchle.

I consider the whole of Ayrshire to be a rather large area, which is why I brought it up. I'd have done the same had someone said Strathclyde. But not for Glasgow - which is a city, and not a county.

Since the Verchie ( which is the souped-up Italian version of the Robin) has only three wheels,it can be driven on a motorcycle license.

And,as the video shows,just as on a motorcycle,it's recommended that the driver wear a helmet. ;)

We have always been a club that attract players from where our management are based.

We had Dennis gray who was Kilmarnock based and that ensured an influx of Ayrshire/ Killie/ Ayr based guys as he knew the scene very well.

Now we've got johnny in charge we attract guys from Renfrewshire / Glasgow area as that's where he's based.

I think it stands to reason that most managers have got their contacs within a reasonable local proximity.

At the moment we don't have a single player from beith and only a given few from Ayrshire.

Archived