BT to be a mobile network again?

FlyerTon

Quite alarming news tbh. Right now there is no overlap between mobile broadband operators and cable/fibre operators (unless you count Virgin but they are an MVNO and don't have Spectrum rights) BT seem to be trying to turn themselves into a monolithic operator again with Landlines, Fibre, Premium TV and now Mobile. Basically less competition

I think we could see Vodafone make a move to buy a TV company, they are in active talks with SKY about NowTV. If that doesn't happen they may buy Virgin Media. Although Vodafone could be a target for AT&T since Voda recently divested its holding in Verizon.

Currently we are in a situation where it is almost cost prohibitive not to get TV/Phone/Internet from a single provider. Mobile phones might now be added to that bundle.

Quite alarming news tbh. Right now there is no overlap between mobile broadband operators and cable/fibre operators (unless you count Virgin but they are an MVNO and don't have Spectrum rights) BT seem to be trying to turn themselves into a monolithic operator again with Landlines, Fibre, Premium TV and now Mobile. Basically less competition

I think we could see Vodafone make a move to buy a TV company, they are in active talks with SKY about NowTV. If that doesn't happen they may buy Virgin Media. Although Vodafone could be a target for AT&T since Voda recently divested its holding in Verizon.

Currently we are in a situation where it is almost cost prohibitive not to get TV/Phone/Internet from a single provider. Mobile phones might now be added to that bundle.

Are we? Im paying basically the same to BT for internet as I was with Sky. I still have tv from Sky. If I wanted to, I could go to someone like Plusnet and save money on the internet.

Archived