Resurgent Dream Team v Albino Rovers

A Believer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we defended well and Lavery and Dargo worked well up top, but we lost the midfield. Notman and Currie were poor.

I forgot dargo was even playing. Focus on attack seemed to die as soon as lavery was taken off. Disappointing but a fair result I thought. Tight game.

Don't think we can keep playing Notman and Currie central, both weren't great yesterday. Every time Drummond or Willis get the ball out wide there's f**k all inside for them cause they're too defensive and don't make the burst through the centre. It forces Drummond to go down the line and Willis inside. Currie spent last season playing some superb stuff, and yet ever since the likes of tools such as Andy Rodgers slated him on Twitter for 'hooking it' every time, all he has done has hook it every time. Get the ball under control, please.

Highlight of the game was John Gemmell's complete meltdown. For all he gives it bigguns about how he loves being wound up and it makes him play better, he was fucking atrocious yesterday. After being completely shite for 85 minutes, he completely loses it, dishes out a bit of sexist abuse to the lineswoman and gets himself booked. What a tit :lol: Good hit in the 88th minute for the one minute of the game he did turn up though.

Thought it was a decent game on a damp, miserable day.

Berwick had the first half, but The Vers finished the game stronger and could have gone on to win it.

Best for Berwick was the bloke on the left side of midfield - got forward and put a few decent balls into the box - not sure who he was due to the invisible shirt numbers - possibly Drummond? What has happened to Lee Currie? Total transformation from the player who strolled through games last season, dictating play, pulling strings and stroking the ball around for fun.

Apart from the solid defence, Squib had a good game for The Vers. He's like a little wasp, always buzzing around, closing opponents down and keen to get involved in the game. Good to see Ally Love finally get off the bench - he looked lively when he came on.

I thought Love, Mullin and Fisher were totally ineffective when they came on. The goal came from the endeavour of the regulars- the best three Rovers players on the park, no less.

I'd rather have introduced Cusack and Pollock, whose chance will hopefully come in the upcoming December fixture pile-up.

Don't think we can keep playing Notman and Currie central, both weren't great yesterday. Every time Drummond or Willis get the ball out wide there's f**k all inside for them cause they're too defensive and don't make the burst through the centre. It forces Drummond to go down the line and Willis inside. Currie spent last season playing some superb stuff, and yet ever since the likes of tools such as Andy Rodgers slated him on Twitter for 'hooking it' every time, all he has done has hook it every time. Get the ball under control, please.

Highlight of the game was John Gemmell's complete meltdown. For all he gives it bigguns about how he loves being wound up and it makes him play better, he was fucking atrocious yesterday. After being completely shite for 85 minutes, he completely loses it, dishes out a bit of sexist abuse to the lineswoman and gets himself booked. What a tit :lol: Good hit in the 88th minute for the one minute of the game he did turn up though.

Don't think I've ever disagreed with you more! Notman is essential in midfield and Jacobs was good at right back despite some wayward passing. Currie is not the player he was last season but he still did OK yesterday and I don't see any of his potential replacements doing better than him. The weak link in midfield remains Willis who just loses the ball too often and never does what Drummond does on the other flank.

Dargo was also ineffective yesterday, but you've got to congratulate their defence as well.

Albion were the best team I've seen at Shielfield all season and I'd sign Gemmell in a heartbeat. He never missed a header and is very skilful for a big fat b*****d. I thought he was their best player, despite his mud chewing antics. We could have nicked it if Lavery had stayed on, but a draw was probably fair in a great hard fought cup-tie. Both sets of players must have been knackered at the end.

Lastly, on my first trip to the (supposedly) newly-improved Shielfield, liberally buttered up by BerwickMad and BTU, I was disappointed by the state of the decor and facilities. Part of me hopes they win the replay so they can get a glamour tie and afford to run their own pie stand, and put soap in the lavatories.

Far too harsh. They have a cracking bar with £3 pints of lager and a free buffet; nothing else really matters. ;)

Good day out on the train yesterday, although the game wasn't a classic. This is an odd Rovers team, in that although we were 1 down until quite late, I can't say I was panicking. There is always a feeling with these guys that they'll get back in and we could have snatched it after that.

Best Rovers player for me was Marc McKenzie, as always. For a tiny wee guy he's hard as nails and incredibly determined, and on a day when big Gemmell was pretty effectively nullified, wee Squib was the man creating the breaks.

Anyway, tis advantage Rovers now, I reckon, although the intervening games against Annan and Elgin are much more important. I wonder if Darren and Sandy will freshen the team up for those.

Far too harsh. They have a cracking bar with £3 pints of lager and a free buffet; nothing else really matters. ;)

Good day out on the train yesterday, although the game wasn't a classic. This is an odd Rovers team, in that although we were 1 down until quite late, I can't say I was panicking. There is always a feeling with these guys that they'll get back in and we could have snatched it after that.

Best Rovers player for me was Marc McKenzie, as always. For a tiny wee guy he's hard as nails and incredibly determined, and on a day when big Gemmell was pretty effectively nullified, wee Squib was the man creating the breaks.

Anyway, tis advantage Rovers now, I reckon, although the intervening games against Annan and Elgin are much more important. I wonder if Darren and Sandy will freshen the team up for those.

100% agree with your post. McKenzie was superb.

Rovers were never out of it and Berwick never looked liked adding to their 1 goal.

Lee Currie is abysmal. Why he was not hooked is baffling.As baffling as why Fairbairn has not been playing all season.

Don't think I've ever disagreed with you more! Notman is essential in midfield and Jacobs was good at right back despite some wayward passing. Currie is not the player he was last season but he still did OK yesterday and I don't see any of his potential replacements doing better than him. The weak link in midfield remains Willis who just loses the ball too often and never does what Drummond does on the other flank.

Dargo was also ineffective yesterday, but you've got to congratulate their defence as well.

Albion were the best team I've seen at Shielfield all season and I'd sign Gemmell in a heartbeat. He never missed a header and is very skilful for a big fat b*****d. I thought he was their best player, despite his mud chewing antics. We could have nicked it if Lavery had stayed on, but a draw was probably fair in a great hard fought cup-tie. Both sets of players must have been knackered at the end.

I didn't say anything about Jacobs or Notman playing right back. I simply don't think that in a 4-4-2 you can have the central players as Currie & Notman. Currie is playing too deep and it isn't in Notman's nature to make the late runs into the box. Ironically, I think Willis could be the answer to it in behind a striker and going for a more diamond shaped midfield, because at the minute, there is no central support when the ball is outwide and high up the park.

Drummond was isolated plenty of times, and it'd appear that it's neither Notman or Currie's job to help them out. The problem with that is you've got Dargo & Lavery waiting in the middle, so it's basically reliant upon Drummond to do something impressive or go back to Hoskins and lose attacking momentum. There is never a central forward run to keep it flowing. Again, I thought Willis did well, despite being forced inside a lot. I still retain he's not a winger, though.

Currie & Notman are quality players, I just don't think the balance is right with them both in central midfield. If we have to play them both, we have to play an attack minded midfielder centrally too. If we rely on Dargo dropping deep every time it's too easy to mark and we're most likely in a process of going backwards. If you have an attacking mid running on to the ball, the scenario can change completely.

I have no idea what you saw in Gemmell either, he was rank, and I imagine even he'd admit he had an awful day. It's all well that he won a few headers but the majority went nowhere, Young had him comfortably back pocketed, and in fact the whole defence did well to ensure he was caught offside a good 7-8 times. The only time he threatened was the thunderbolt late on. I'm sure if you asked him he'd probably admit he had stinker too. He's a big lad but whenever I've seen him at Stenny etc, he was never one I admired for being a tree you can hit and have balls bounce off. Ace with the ball at his feet, plenty of power and pace.

In conclusion, think we'll have to agree to disagree there!

Archived