The club that vanished- The story of Gretna

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always just thought of them as victims of an old man's vainglorious agenda. Pretty disgusting that Mileson stacked up so many commitments and didn't bother leaving them any kind of security in the event that he got ill, or just plain bored.

Everyone seems to hate them. Were their fans not very nice or something?

They seemed to pass us by and we never played them. Can't really hate a team you've never played.

Ourselves, Arbroath and Brechin are apparently the only clubs that didn't play them in league/cup during their short SFL existence.

We have played Gretna 2008 twice both in the City Cup. We beat them by a couple at Shielfield on an international weekend around about 2010, I recall they'd a man sent-off just before half-time and Ian Little scored a good goal... then a couple of seasons ago they pumped us down at Raydale in a howling gale.

With them now in the Lowland League, and currently 3rd, I suppose we may one day see a Gretna club in the Scottish League again.

Wonder if their attendances have improved any since the days in England. Think they used to average about 300, but I can't find anything for the new club.

I did find University of Stirling referred to as 'Stilring' on the SPFL website, however :P

Ourselves, Arbroath and Brechin are apparently the only clubs that didn't play them in league/cup during their short SFL existence.

We have played Gretna 2008 twice both in the City Cup. We beat them by a couple at Shielfield on an international weekend around about 2010, I recall they'd a man sent-off just before half-time and Ian Little scored a good goal... then a couple of seasons ago they pumped us down at Raydale in a howling gale.

With them now in the Lowland League, and currently 3rd, I suppose we may one day see a Gretna club in the Scottish League again.

Hopefully they get rid of the 2008 by then. Sounds shit.

Archived