Queen of the South v Brora Rangers

SUPERSOUTH

Taking this one in as we decided the cup was nae worth the bother this season.Ive seen Brora once this season an they are a decent team but id expect Queens to win

Don't know what has gone wrong with cup crowds these days. I doubt if Queens would take much more than 10,000 if we got to the final again this season.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. I well remember the ones you mention, but beyond them I'm struggling. We won at Inverness in about '94, but they were a unified league team by then I'm sure. There must be plenty I'm overlooking, but I will not check.Never.

Correct , we beat Inverness Caley 2-1 away in 94-5 but they were a senior team by then ( a recent one at that ). You might or might not remember us beating Cove Rangers 2-1 at Palmerston in 89-90.

Correct , we beat Inverness Caley 2-1 away in 94-5 but they were a senior team by then ( a recent one at that ). You might or might not remember us beating Cove Rangers 2-1 at Palmerston in 89-90.

Mmm, that barely rings a distant bell. It would have been during student days when Palmerston visits were rare.

I take it that was the same campaign that took us to Tannadice?

I travelled up from Newcastle only for it to be postponed. I then hung on until the Monday night and got to the ground five minutes late, thus missing us taking the lead, before losing 2-1.

I remember the Cove game.

The one match against non league in the cup that I remember was against Hawick RA at Palmerston. Queens won 3-0 I think but I remember being aghast at the Hawick no. 9 who was so rotund that his strip didn't meet and a vast array of midrif flopped about the pitch. A truly horrendous sight! He made Mark Yardley look almost sylph-like!

The one match against non league in the cup that I remember was against Hawick RA at Palmerston. Queens won 3-0 I think but I remember being aghast at the Hawick no. 9 who was so rotund that his strip didn't meet and a vast array of midrif flopped about the pitch. A truly horrendous sight! He made Mark Yardley look almost sylph-like!

Yes, I remember that one.

Border TV filmed it for their Friday night sports programme, presented by Eric Wallace.

As for East of Scotland opposition , we have played a few Willie . Off the top of my head Gala early 70s, Hawick RA 82-3, Spartans 92-3 and Whitehill Welfare at the turn of the century.

As for East of Scotland opposition , we have played a few Willie . Off the top of my head Gala early 70s, Hawick RA 82-3, Spartans 92-3 and Whitehill Welfare at the turn of the century.

Not forgetting a nostalgic trip to Meadowbank a couple of years ago to play Edinburgh City

Did we not play Coldstream in about 1980ish?

Played Coldstream in 79-80 and drew 1-1 away . Billy Gordon scored our goal in a roped off pitch . We won the replay 4-1 or nil in midweek. This 'cup run' ended with defeat by Partick in front of a very big crowd at Palmerston. One of only two games my dad took me to. We beat Motherwell at Palmerston sandwiched in between these games .

Played Coldstream in 79-80 and drew 1-1 away . Billy Gordon scored our goal in a roped off pitch . We won the replay 4-1 or nil in midweek. This 'cup run' ended with defeat by Partick in front of a very big crowd at Palmerston. One of only two games my dad took me to. We beat Motherwell at Palmerston sandwiched in between these games .

My Dad took me to the Patrick game too. Unusually, we were in the Terregles Street end. The crowd was 7,500. My sister bought our tickets from SuperSport on the morning of the match. Alan Rough, Jim Melrose and, I think, Andy Roxburgh, were in the Thistle team. Was it Gerry Phillips that got our goal? Play was halted for a solo pitch invading Queens fan.

Apologies for the totally fogeyish reminiscing going on here everyone. We find it therapeutic though.

My Dad took me to the Patrick game too. Unusually, we were in the Terregles Street end. The crowd was 7,500. My sister bought our tickets from SuperSport on the morning of the match. Alan Rough, Jim Melrose and, I think, Andy Roxburgh, were in the Thistle team. Was it Gerry Phillips that got our goal? Play was halted for a solo pitch invading Queens fan.Apologies for the totally fogeyish reminiscing going on here everyone. We find it therapeutic though.

Yes, Gerry scored. There were Thistle fans everywhere that day. Bertie Auld was their boss.

When was the last time we were victims of a "cup upset"?

We blew a good chance of reaching the quarters when we lost at home to Brechin, with Buckie Thistle awaiting the winners. Apart from that I can't think of any. I think we lost to Airdrie the year after we got to the final but they were probably in the same league us as that year?

Since reaching the final our SC record has been pretty unspectacular, but we've mostly lost to higher league teams who would have been bookies favourites before the game.

We're a much better, and more professional outfit now as well.

That Brechin game was a nightmare. We were absolutely rank that night and it probably finished Brannigan realistically. It also killed any hope of us getting through to the end of that season without hitting a financial crisis. With Buckie Thistle awaiting the winners and a likely Q-F which turned out to be a home game v St Johnstone there was a real opportunity for a money spinning cup run again. We blew it.

Airdrie were in the same division but had hardly won a game all season. Our loss, which was 4-0 going on about twice that, was abject.

Otherwise though we've not really suffered any Scottish Cup shocks in the full time era.

Our Scottish Cup record since the 2008 final is average but, as you say, generally we've lost games you'd expect us to lose. In fact, in wins over Partick (Gus season) and Hamilton last season we created minor shocks and we were unlucky in the last three seasons to go out to Premier League opposition, two of them after a replay and Kilmarnock only 2-1 despite playing 88 minutes with 10 men!

08/09 - Lost 4-2 at Falkirk who were Premier League

09/10 - Lost 4-0 at Airdrie.

10/11 - Lost 2-1 at home to Brechin City

11/12 - Won 1-0 at Partick Thistle

11/12 - Drew 1-1 at Aberdeen, lost replay 2-1 to a 90th minute undeserved winner.

12/13 - Won 2-0 at Edinburgh City

12/13 - Lost 2-1 at Kilmarnock.

13/14 - Won 1-0 at home to Hamilton Accies

13/14 - Drew 2-2 at home to St Mirren, lost replay 3-0 though that flattered them a bit.

I was at both those games. I think that was Caley's first season as a League team. In fact they were called Caledonian Thistle at the time with no mention of "Inverness" in their name and still playing at Telford Street. I was definitely at the Cove Rangers game, a rare game at Palmerston during my three year sojourn as a student in Edinburgh, but I don't recall anything much about it.

My Dad took me to the Patrick game too. Unusually, we were in the Terregles Street end. The crowd was 7,500. My sister bought our tickets from SuperSport on the morning of the match. Alan Rough, Jim Melrose and, I think, Andy Roxburgh, were in the Thistle team. Was it Gerry Phillips that got our goal? Play was halted for a solo pitch invading Queens fan. Apologies for the totally fogeyish reminiscing going on here everyone. We find it therapeutic though.

That Thistle game is one of my earliest Queens memories. I remember being taken as a 9 year old to the game by my dad. He'd managed to get a couple of terracing tickets but managed to swap them for Main Stand ones outside the ground with someone he met as he thought I would see better from the Stand. I remember thinking the Stand was huge which it clearly isn't. It's funny how different things look when you're 9! I remember the atmosphere being brilliant but don't really remember anything at all about the game except we lost, Thistle scored twice and Alan Rough was in goal (who was a big star at the time).

Thanks SD. I'm quite impressed that for once my memories are accurate, although I had no idea the Airdrie defeat was such a humping. I used to go through to most Airdrie and Clyde away games when I was living in Glasgow and I was certainly at that one. Obviously my selective memory has wiped that disappointment, unlike JR who lets such things scar him for life!

It would be nice to go on an extended cup run to drum up a bit of excitement and the draw has made this a real possibility. You just know though, that if we get through against Brora we are going to be drawn away to the winner of the St Johnstone/Ross County tie and then lose narrowly.

We got beat twice by Highland League teams in the early 90's ( Huntly and Ross Co as they were then ) . Can't think of anything since then.

I will tell you why it will NEVER leave the minds of Queens fans of a certain age . We drew the first game at Dingwall 2-2 after multiple postponements for bad weather . We were then expected to finish off Ross Co in the replay and got thrashed 6-2 . I have seen a few horrific displays and results in my time but that was right up there with the worst.

I was at Huntly where we deservedly lost, albeit narrowly. In fact I was there twice. As I recall we got all the way to Huntly on one of the Saturday attempts before it was called off. It was then off several midweeks before finally being played on the Monday after New Year. I am sure I was back at work the next day after getting back from Huntly at stupid o'clock.

Fortunately however I never saw the Ross County debacle which took place in my 3rd year at University. I was in Edinburgh at the time without transport so had no means of getting to either the original game nor the replay.

Jim looks to be starting on Saturday due to Zander's loan agreement

Think it was same last year but çlubs agreed to allow Zander to play.

If not Jim will again deputise well I have no doubt.

Let's hope ross county beat St Johnstone on sat then and we get Zander back for the rest of the Cup its good to keep a settled defence.

Archived