Queen of the South v Brora Rangers

SUPERSOUTH

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a game we should be winning but I don't think it will be that easy. They have an awful lot of experience in their team and will be really up for it. For financial reasons and with the way the ties in this round have come out we must be looking to progress.

With our squad at the moment it's not as if we can make whole sale changes but I wouldn't want any silly suspensions or injuries to key players with our next two league games against Hearts and Sevco.

Brora are Highland League in name but lower SPFL in nature. They didn't concede a goal in their first 5 HL games this season, haven't conceded a goal in their last 7, and sit top, unbeaten, with 16 wins & 2 draws... GD of +78, with 85 for and only 7 against across those 18 games... Plus this has been achieved by splashing money on a lot of SPFL experience.

That said - perhaps as they're used to seeing cakewalks most weeks - when they've faced decent opposition it has been much more of a struggle with narrow wins over Stenny (aet) and Edinburgh City, and a narrow loss v East Fife. For me it's the most intriguing tie of the round but with QotS being in good form and full-time, still a home win predicted.

As is being discussed in the Raith thread (in amongst all the other tedious pish) we are very good at beating the teams that we should be beating on paper. This game falls into that category so we have to feel reasonably confident.

Obviously with the confidence regular success brings, not to mention the experience in the Brora side I think we can expect them to be tricky opponents. I don't think they'll have played a defence anything like as good as ours though.

3-0 Queens.

Their top scorer has now hit his 38TH GOAL of the season and we haven't seen the back of November . Obviously a team with massive confidence . Playing Qos is a different level altogether for them though and as long as the attitude is 100% focused , not treating them lightly then we will march on.

Having watched the entertaining last round game between Edinburgh City and Brora Rangers I can see this as a close game but with a win for Queens. Brora have a lot of experience in their team and have a goal scorer in Steven Mackay who is on fire at the moment. He may well be 33 but he certainly knows where the net is. They are also a danger from set pieces.

I'll be interested to hear how things go as I'll be watching Spartans take on Morton.

Good luck.

Someone said elsewhere before, that we're a very different outfit from that which dreaded and often faltered in such games, in by-gone years.

By the same token though, this is clearly no average non-league outfit either.

We should win this I suppose, but I'll be relieved if we do. It's not a given.

When was the last time we were victims of a "cup upset"?

We blew a good chance of reaching the quarters when we lost at home to Brechin, with Buckie Thistle awaiting the winners. Apart from that I can't think of any. I think we lost to Airdrie the year after we got to the final but they were probably in the same league us as that year?

Since reaching the final our SC record has been pretty unspectacular, but we've mostly lost to higher league teams who would have been bookies favourites before the game.

We're a much better, and more professional outfit now as well.

When was the last time we were victims of a "cup upset"?

We blew a good chance of reaching the quarters when we lost at home to Brechin, with Buckie Thistle awaiting the winners. Apart from that I can't think of any. I think we lost to Airdrie the year after we got to the final but they were probably in the same league us as that year?

Since reaching the final our SC record has been pretty unspectacular, but we've mostly lost to higher league teams who would have been bookies favourites before the game.

We're a much better, and more professional outfit now as well.

We got beat twice by Highland League teams in the early 90's ( Huntly and Ross Co as they were then ) . Can't think of anything since then. I just hope we don't piss about aka Albion Rovers circa 2004 and get mugged. As you say, we are more professional now and I would agree with that . Get the job done as early as possible.

To put that Ross County result in perspective, none of; Clark, Durnan, Holt, McShane or Reilly had even been born when that game was played.

I know it's not the sort of result you forget very easily if you were around for it, but it will have no bearing on Saturday.

To put that Ross County result in perspective, none of; Clark, Durnan, Holt, McShane or Reilly had even been born when that game was played.

I know it's not the sort of result you forget very easily if you were around for it, but it will have no bearing on Saturday.

I will tell you why it will NEVER leave the minds of Queens fans of a certain age . We drew the first game at Dingwall 2-2 after multiple postponements for bad weather . We were then expected to finish off Ross Co in the replay and got thrashed 6-2 . I have seen a few horrific displays and results in my time but that was right up there with the worst.

MT - Can you think of how many Highland League teams we have played in the SC ?

Not really. I well remember the ones you mention, but beyond them I'm struggling. We won at Inverness in about '94, but they were a unified league team by then I'm sure.

There must be plenty I'm overlooking, but I will not check.

Never.

Archived