Scotland v Gibraltar - 29/3/15

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, thanks for stating the obvious.

Well you were expressing shock at people saying they'd accept a victory by one goal, so I thought I'd explain that it wasn't people really saying they'd accept a one goal victory, more that they just wanted the victory.

You think they'll score against us? Or do you foresee Grant Hanley lashing in an overhead kick OG from the halfway line?

They almost scored an excellent goal against Germany, only a snap acrobatic save from Neuer kept it out... They are bound to score against someone, sometime... but it shouldn't matter, we should be putting at least several past them. It has the hallmark of the Faroes game at Celtic Park in my eyes. I would mix-up our starting XI somewhat, but not unduly, and I wouldn't mess-about with the formation just for the sake of it.

Are the sfa going to hold their nerve and ask for 35-45 a ticket?

I imagine so. Be harsh on those who've already bought campaign tickets etc. otherwise? They've announced lots of free tickets for schools.

No way we can only play one up front here. 4-4-2 diamond IMO

That's basically what many demanded v Liechtenstein... before we ended-up relying on a 97th minute (or whatever it was) header from McManus.

We're better than we were then; Gibraltar are worse then Liechtenstein; and we haven't a slowcoach Boyd: but still - we don't NEED to go 4-4-2.

You think they'll score against us? Or do you foresee Grant Hanley lashing in an overhead kick OG from the halfway line?

Think they will? No idea. But could see it happening. Like HJ said, on another day, they'd have scored against Germany. They'd still have got pumped, but can you really not see a situation where they definitely won't score against Scotland? They're bound to score sometime, and I'd probably wager their best chance of that would be against Georgia, but would you really be surprised if they scored against us?

Why all the clamour for two up front? Putting double the numbers up front wouldn't double the number of goals we scored, and putting a 2 in the striker column of your formation doesn't mean that either. We're fine playing the formation we do now, play the best striker we have who is fit (probably Fletcher, let's face it) and then have positive players behind him. With Naismith, Anya and one other there, and our two sitting midfielders pushing up, we'll play much better than shoehorning in a second striker into a system we've done pretty well with.

I think they will, due to people already having season tickets.

Seeing as Georgia couldn't sell out on a Saturday there is no way you will break 30k for Sunday 5pm.

The sfa will realise they fucked up and come up with some terrible solution that further pisses people off would be my guess. slash the price and give season ticket holders a freebie to a home friendly in March

Seeing as Georgia couldn't sell out on a Saturday there is no way you will break 30k for Sunday 5pm.

The sfa will realise they fucked up and come up with some terrible solution that further pisses people off would be my guess. slash the price and give season ticket holders a freebie to a home friendly in March

I think they've already realized they fucked up with the pricing of tickets. Will they actually admit it? Probably not

Correct.

Points and goals against the botttom seeds don't count for the third place league table.

But they do if it's a tie for 2nd place!!!

Correct.

Points and goals against the botttom seeds don't count for the third place league table.

But does it count for separating teams level at the top or two separate team that are lying second and third in the section. Would be annoyed if we finish 3rd on goal difference anda couple more goals would have meant us finishing second

Head to head comes before goal difference. Not just h2h points, but goal difference, goals scored and away goals. A point in Dublin (or even a 2-1 defeat) and a win at home to Poland (or even a 0-0 or 1-1) would give us tiebreaker advantage over both

But does it count for separating teams level at the top or two separate team that are lying second and third in the section. Would be annoyed if we finish 3rd on goal difference anda couple more goals would have meant us finishing second

The group winners, runners-up, and the best third-placed team (with the results against the sixth-placed team discarded) directly qualify to the finals!!!

Say Germany win the group and us, Ireland And Poland are all in joint second then goals would then count against Gibraltar to see who finishes 2nd, as obviously goal difference comes first, all the head to head stuff only comes into it if the sides are all still equal on goal difference as well. Then the goals against them would be discounted to see who of the remaining two teams finishes 3rd!!!

I think!!!

The group winners, runners-up, and the best third-placed team (with the results against the sixth-placed team discarded) directly qualify to the finals!!!

Say Germany win the group and us, Ireland And Poland are all in joint second then goals would then count against Gibraltar to see who finishes 2nd, as obviously goal difference comes first, all the head to head stuff only comes into it if the sides are all still equal on goal difference as well. Then the goals against them would be discounted to see who of the remaining two teams finishes 3rd!!!

I think!!!

Head-to-head comes before goal difference when 2 teams are level.

Head-to-head comes before goal difference when 2 teams are level.

You are quite correct!!!

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
  4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played between the teams in question;
  5. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 10 apply;
  6. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  7. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
  10. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;

but points 6, 7 and 8 still include the Gibraltar games!!!

Archived