Striker

He's scored 3 in 15 games for Standard Liege this season - though most of these have been substitute appearances.

I wasn't impressed with him for the u21s against Luxembourg last year. He's been criticised a lot over the last 12 months, but he should be given plaudits for setting up in Belgium and getting a game for a strong second-tier European side.

The fact he hasn't been in the u21 side for a year suggests he's not yet convinced the Scotland setup that he's ready for a return.

I expect that's more due to attitude than ability though. Hope he screws the nut and makes it over there.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Saw McGhee in the paper today banging on about the Gibraltar game being perfect for Chris Martin to 'hopefully, maybe go out there and steal a goal'.

Two things:

1) There's being cautious and there's being patronising

2) Chris Martin looks like a complete misfit for our international striker role. The England game and every other appearance of his was screaming that loud and clear. Why are they persevering with him (Rhodes was dropped pretty quickly and he's a very similar type of player)?

Saw McGhee in the paper today banging on about the Gibraltar game being perfect for Chris Martin to 'hopefully, maybe go out there and steal a goal'.

Two things:

1) There's being cautious and there's being patronising

2) Chris Martin looks like a complete misfit for our international striker role. The England game and every other appearance of his was screaming that loud and clear. Why are they persevering with him (Rhodes was dropped pretty quickly and he's a very similar type of player)?

Although I'd expect Martin to be perfectly capable of scoring against Northern Ireland and Gibraltar - if Fletcher isn't starting I'd want May up front.

That said, if Rhodes isn't considered for a double header of this standard then he's clearly never going to get another game under WGS.

May getting criticised by Sheffield Wednesday fans, they don't rate him at all so far. It's early days, but I couldn't be less surprised by their initial assessment. When you see Rhodes and Martin's record in the Championship and either still not getting picked, or in Martin's case being picked and being rubbish, you see how far off the standard May is.

May getting criticised by Sheffield Wednesday fans, they don't rate him at all so far. It's early days, but I couldn't be less surprised by their initial assessment. When you see Rhodes and Martin's record in the Championship and either still not getting picked, or in Martin's case being picked and being rubbish, you see how far off the standard May is.

It's all about the long game though: Rhodes and Martin are outscoring/in better form then May, but neither looks to have the game to suit our current system. May's having a mediocre/poor start to his Weds career, but he appears to have the style of play that would complement our system. In that respect, I'd support May being played even though his club form is iffy at the mo.

What I don't get is McGhee and WGS championing Martin as though he's a great fit for us when it's clear he's not (unless we change our system, in which case Rhodes etc would surely fit into our squad)

Except they're playing for good teams and may is playing for a hopeless team and getting no service so not exactly comparable. He's also 5 years younger than Rhodes and Martin so I have much higher hopes for may than the other 2. Also he looked like a better fit than Martin v England. Gave them something to think about.

Except they're playing for good teams and may is playing for a hopeless team and getting no service so not exactly comparable. He's also 5 years younger than Rhodes and Martin so I have much higher hopes for may than the other 2. Also he looked like a better fit than Martin v England. Gave them something to think about.

May is 22, Rhodes is 24 and Martin is 26

Hopefully neither Rhodes or Martin ever play for Scotland again. Neither of them is nearly good enough for international level.

High scoring Championship strikers has been Scotlands 'level' for ages now. Both fit easily into that category. The only thing that makes them a poor fit is the current system we use which requires a nippy worker up front.

Hopefully neither Rhodes or Martin ever play for Scotland again. Neither of them is nearly good enough for international level.

I'm not sure what "international level" is with regards to smaller countries like us. Fletcher is by a distance our most accomplished striker, even if his goalscoring record (like every other Scotland striker) is appalling.

While I don't think Rhodes is the next Thierry Henry - he scores goals against weaker opposition - while we typically don't. One own goal against Georgia. When was the last time we racked up a convincing win against weaker opposition with goals dominated by strikers, was it the Faroes in 2006? Perhaps Ukraine in 2007?

Rhodes will score goals against teams like Georgia/Gibraltar/Northern Ireland - that's probably his level, though I'd add he not exactly tested at international or EPL level.

Martin looks tremendous for Derby, which perhaps says a lot about the Championship. I think he's a more complete player than Rhodes or May, neither of whom look like having international futures at this point. It's like your third choice keeper; it's only really an act of desperation that would see Martin (or May) starting.

I'm surprised at how quickly Strachan gave up on Rhodes though.

Martin looks tremendous for Derby, which perhaps says a lot about the Championship. I think he's a more complete player than Rhodes or May, neither of whom look like having international futures at this point. It's like your third choice keeper; it's only really an act of desperation that would see Martin (or May) starting.

I'm surprised at how quickly Strachan gave up on Rhodes though.

The one point I'd make about Martin is that he 6 caps and no goals. Rhodes scored 3 from his only 2 starts...

The one point I'd make about Martin is that he 6 caps and no goals. Rhodes scored 3 from his only 2 starts...

exactly. Rhodes is effective. Sometimes he looks clumsy and out of the game and I can understand why some think he's not a brilliant player... Maybe that's the mistake Roy Keane made

exactly. Rhodes is effective. Sometimes he looks clumsy and out of the game and I can understand why some think he's not a brilliant player... Maybe that's the mistake Roy Keane made

Was WGS' view ever that he wasn't a good player though? Just that he didn't fit in with the way he wanted to play. Of course, Martin doesn't seem to fit in either, and certainly does not seem like a brilliant player, so if he wanted someone for that role, then it should be Rhodes. Then you get the bonus of actually having a good finisher.

How do you work that one out?

Well you didn't really eh just plucked a load of shite from thin air.

I'd say both are excellent finishers.

Rhodes is a more effective player though. Watch his goal vs Australia - is that not international quality finishing? Scotland are great at chopping and changing instead of investing in players that are maybe rough around the edges but clearly long term the best candidates

He most definitely is.

How do you work that one out?

Well you didn't really eh just plucked a load of shite from thin air.

Watch them both for thier clubs. Both miss chances they probably should score, and both can score half chances. You two just utterly reek of folk who fall for this legend that Rhodes is some form of super striker who'll score every time he has a chance, which is an embarrassing view. Hes behind Martin because hes playing worse, get over it

Archived