Striker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't rate May in the slightest, he's not a good footballer and I don't really get why people say he should get 'his chance' as as far as I can see he's done very little to earn it. That being said, if Fletcher isn't playing I think we need to change our game plan slightly and go for someone up front with some pace, which could be May. That will cause the opposition to sit a bit deeper and give us more room to play. In the first half last night England were able to push right up to the half way line because they knew Martin was never going to run in behind, which meant we had no room to play.

James McFadden - St Johnstone knackered

David Clarkson - Dundee couldn't hack it in English league 2

Robbie Muirhead - Kilmarnock 18 year old

Jamie Murphy - Sheffield Utd might make it

Marc McNulty - Sheffield Utd no idea

James McFadden - St Johnstone

David Clarkson - Dundee

Robbie Muirhead - Kilmarnock

Jamie Murphy - Sheffield Utd

Marc McNulty - Sheffield Utd

Is this a list of players who will never get (another) game for Scotland? If so that might be a bit harsh on Muirhead who is still young enough to improve.

Does it not worry anyone that wgs has placed so much faith/fast-tracked Chris martin to his current status in the squad?

Surely he saw cm's shortcomings in all the training sessions?

Eta: not trying to rip the pish out of Chris martin, more that I'm worried that our manager doesn't really know what type of fwd player completes his otherwise effective system

I think Strachan wanted to give Martin a fair crack of the whip considering his goalscoring record for Derby, don't really have a problem with that tbh, as anyone who's scoring 20+ in the English Championship deserves a couple of chances to perform in the team. I would think Strachan is going to start looking at other options now though as Martins not really done anything in his appearances.

As it stands I'd have Naismith as first choice with Fletcher second. Then you've got a gap to whoevers next. Probably one of Martin or Rhodes. Then you've got the Mays and Griffiths of the world who have potential but aren't up to starting games yet. I think Russell is in the same group as Martin and Rhodes due to his experience and what he's shown in the Championship, he also looked comfortable in his admittedly short time against England. I do feel like we'll use him more on the wing than up front though.

Being a proven Championship goalscorer is basically meaningless, as Chris Martin has proved. McCormack is already at his peak and is nothing more than mediocre. If we're going to call up mediocre forwards then it might as well be young guys like May and Russell who have more room for improvement.

Russell isn't really a striker anymore. He hasn't played there since 2012 and even then we were playing him off the right at times. His style suits International football so well though, a bit like Anya. Not as fast but a lot stronger, and then he has the work rate as well. His passing has improved so much since going to Derby - the amount of assists he gets is impressive.

Bit premature to put Russell ahead of Fletcher just now, as Russell is still massively unproven at this level, or even the Championship where hes just recently garnered stand out form. When fit Snodgrass is a stick on starter anyway.

Fletcher has to start every game he can. Despite his poor goalscoring record for Scotland, his touch and technique is infinitely superior to the rest of the side.

I'd like to see Russell get a game against Gibraltar. I'm impressed at how Maloney has improved, but he's still a fairly one-dimensional player with absolutely no pace or strength.

Fletcher has to start every game he can. Despite his poor goalscoring record for Scotland, his touch and technique is infinitely superior to the rest of the side.

I'd like to see Russell get a game against Gibraltar. I'm impressed at how Maloney has improved, but he's still a fairly one-dimensional player with absolutely no pace or strength.

Shame Maloney is knocking on 32 as well. He's always had the ability, but has only really delivered for the national team in the last year and a bit.

Whats the point in giving mediocre players the chance, there must be a young striker out there we can cap who has pace and mobility those 2 atributes out class a 6, 3 fat donkey (martin) any day of the week. Wales a few years back took this line of thinking and they ripped us apart 3 zip. You dont have to be playing 1st team prem footy every game to be a great prospect.

Now is the time to unearth a gem with taking a gamble.

How is T.Watt getting on in Belgium? Last I heard he was criticised for his attitude. Still only 20 though

He's scored 3 in 15 games for Standard Liege this season - though most of these have been substitute appearances.

I wasn't impressed with him for the u21s against Luxembourg last year. He's been criticised a lot over the last 12 months, but he should be given plaudits for setting up in Belgium and getting a game for a strong second-tier European side.

The fact he hasn't been in the u21 side for a year suggests he's not yet convinced the Scotland setup that he's ready for a return.

Archived