Great individual performances for Scotland

Blootoon87

A thread for praising the Herculean efforts our players occasionally put in.

From recent times, the first one to stand out is Darren Fletcher at home to the Czech Republic in the 2-2 game. Scored one, set up the other and generally pulled the whole team through that match.

Russell Martin away to Croatia in the 1-0 smash and grab win was something else also. This was when Scotland as a team were on a horrendous run, and confidence was an all time low. In one of his first few games for us, he threw himself into every tackle and header and put his body on the line time after time.

What are your memories of heroes in individual matches?

Alan McLaren against Italy in 1992

He was just 21 at the time and marked the brilliant Roberto Baggio out of the game in a 0-0 draw.

Also Craig Gordon, again against Italy in 2007, with a truly tremendous display in the 1-1 draw. 2-1 defeat... Just a real shame that injuries curtailed his progress.

Also Craig Gordon, again against Italy 2007, with a truly tremendous display in the 1-1 draw. Just a real shame that injuries curtailed his progress.

That finished 2-1 to Italy (I keep forgetting the result too- just remember we were knocked out for not winning)

I liked Scott Brown against Ukraine when we won 3-1. They obviously fancied themselves from the start to be a bit snidey and rough us up a bit but Brown upped the ante on them with a level of in-the-face aggression that seemed to rattle them. Whatever they tried he was tougher, cockier and more aggressive and he seemed to have reduced their game plan to shreds within the first ten minutes.

Hartley vs France

I was never Hartley's biggest fan but he was magnificent in Paris.

Craig Gordon as well. And Davie Weir at the back IIRC. I'm sure we played a back 5 that night and each of them pretty much threw themselves at the ball a few times.

What game was it where the opposing team had a drop ball and wanted Brown to just pass it back to them, but quite rightly Brown contested it? Was at Hampden? He then got followed by about four of the opposition team going mental at him while just smiling and generally looking smug as f**k. I'm sure for the drop ball he smashed the ball of the boys shins and got a corner, I may have made that up though.

I want to say Ukraine but that doesn't feel right, I'm sure in the same game Faddy scored a cracker?

What game was it where the opposing team had a drop ball and wanted Brown to just pass it back to them, but quite rightly Brown contested it? Was at Hampden? He then got followed by about four of the opposition team going mental at him while just smiling and generally looking smug as f**k. I'm sure for the drop ball he smashed the ball of the boys shins and got a corner, I may have made that up though.

I want to say Ukraine but that doesn't feel right, I'm sure in the same game Faddy scored a cracker?

Macedonia.

Archived