Stadiums for Scotland Games

Scotland Stadiums  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, the SFA should never have allowed Hampden to be taken out of commission for a third class athletics event. But I suppose this has helped show why internationals and cup finals should be played there!

Thought Parkhead last night was awful, although this may be because I was in the South stand- others have commented about how poor the view is from there. Paid £42 for a seat but had to stand for the entire game. Stewarding was non-existent. Basically they gave up when it was clear that late arrivals were piling in wherever they wanted and they had lost control of the seating allocations. Or maybe the more challenging job was to chat up the lasses in the pie stall. Certainly don't think it acceptable to allow guys to stand in the aisles. And there was no obvious attempt to control the smokers and bevviers.

Other problem with Parkhead is the public transport. Don't believe it's acceptable for fans to have to walk 20 minutes from the nearest station.

Parkhead is crap. Creates a good atmosphere but the actual stadium is no use.Ibrox is the best footballing stadium in the country.
Don't say that you'll have the p@b masses frothing at the mouth.See what I mean... :lol:
What do you mean?
Please elaborate my friend....!!

Don't say that you'll have the p@b masses frothing at the mouth.See what I mean... :lol:

Shouldn't you be accusing him of being a closet the rangers fan? Or does that rule only apply when people speak highly of Celtic Park? :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to topic. Whilst I do believe that moving Scotland games around the country would be a good thing, I think the problem with that is that we lack a 30,000 seater stadium. Rugby Park, Easter Road, Tynecastle and Pittordrie would be great for games against your San Marino type countries, but your middle of the road nations, say for instance an Austria type, I think the demand would be too big for a 17-20k stadium but no where near enough to hold it at Celtic Park or ibrox. That's where having a 30k stadium would be ideal.

No because the guy knows that Ibrox is the better stadium. Deal with it and move on. HTH.

Just like the other guy prefers Celtic Park over Hampden. Deal with it and move on.

HTH.

Oh and,

My Team:St.Mirren

:lol::lol:

What a spanner you really are.

First, the SFA should never have allowed Hampden to be taken out of commission for a third class athletics event. But I suppose this has helped show why internationals and cup finals should be played there!

Thought Parkhead last night was awful, although this may be because I was in the South stand- others have commented about how poor the view is from there. Paid £42 for a seat but had to stand for the entire game. Stewarding was non-existent. Basically they gave up when it was clear that late arrivals were piling in wherever they wanted and they had lost control of the seating allocations. Or maybe the more challenging job was to chat up the lasses in the pie stall. Certainly don't think it acceptable to allow guys to stand in the aisles. And there was no obvious attempt to control the smokers and bevviers.

Other problem with Parkhead is the public transport. Don't believe it's acceptable for fans to have to walk 20 minutes from the nearest station.

To be fair, I think a lot of that can be put down to lack of familiarity. Some people tend to stand and at Hampden, they would be drawn to the West and North Stands where that's sort of accepted to go on. If you have an issue with that for any reason then the South and East stands are usually fine for people sitting down (just my own experience of going with my dad who likes the opportunity to sit and my mates who like to have a seat). If we were used to playing at Celtic Park then I'm sure we'd get a similar sort of arrangement (although that doesn't change the fact that it made your own experience worse last night).

Late arrivals was probably partially down to unfamiliarity again but mostly due to it being a Friday night match (traffic was horrendous) and the late influx being so big that the stewards were quite flustered, don't remember a match at Hampden with near the number of latecomers. Obviously, the stewarding and policing of the match was well below par (witnessed a man offering a horse whisky which was interesting) but that's not really to do with the stadium itself, it's to do with lack of experience in handling Scotland games there so should be corrected next time.

I've enjoyed going to Ibrox and Parkhead for the last 2 games but I don't agree that games should be played there regularly. Hampden is nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. If it's full the atmosphere can be great. Talk of increasing the capacity or altering the stadium is crazy.

As mentioned, the only problem is games where there is a mid-range crowd of around 30,000. But shifting to Ibrox, Celtic Park or changing Hampden isn't going to solve that. Unless you played at Celtic Park and only opened the bottom tier.

Parkhead is crap. Creates a good atmosphere but the actual stadium is no use.

Ibrox is the best footballing stadium in the country.

I've heard that said about Ibrox often. The Georgia game was my first at Ibrox and I wondered what on earth people were going on about. The stand I was in looked like one of those horrible 60/70s council buildings, the facilities were about on a par with Cappielow and the seats were dirty, scratched to bits, and faded. Overall it wasn't any better than Celtic Park, and it's a dump. I was expecting much more based on what I'd heard.

Closet celtic fan found.

Haha that would be right. Can't remember the last time I was there.

The stewarding and organisation was awful last night. Clearly too many people were too bevved to be in the ground. Some had no idea where to go, turnstiles were slow, not sure if that was due to people getting turned around if in the wrong area. However just opening them for a free for all without checking tickets was a stupid move. I got in 5mins after kickoff.

Don't agree that transport is bad. I mean there are 2 motorways nearby and plenty of buses. Celtic Park has 3 stations within 15mins walk- Duke St, Bellgrove and Dalmarnock. We got a train and 50mins from seat to the west end. Hampden makes you wait in large queues at Mt Florida.

There was a family who were meant to be in another section of the ground altogether and ended up in our section. For an hour they kept walking up and down our row trying to find a seat and generally pissing people off.

I think you get a much better view at Ibrox. I haven't sat in all 4 stands in either of the bigot brothers stadiums but in my experience Ibrox is more enjoyable. It's not perfect but it's the best in Scotland.

Hampden,Ibrox and Parkhead all have plus and negative points. Celtic Park fails on the basics for me which is the damn pillars.

The ground was still quite empty at the anthems. Were huge gaps all around and didn't eventually fill up till about 15 minutes in.

Was the same against the faroes at parkhead. No idea why scotland fans find it so difficult to turn up for a fucking game of football on time and sing the national anthem together rather than 2 sides singing it 3 seconds apart. What other set of fans on earth are like that?

Was the same against the faroes at parkhead. No idea why scotland fans find it so difficult to turn up for a fucking game of football on time and sing the national anthem together rather than 2 sides singing it 3 seconds apart. What other set of fans on earth are like that?

Agreed. You could see the players and wgs cringing a bit at the shambolic singing from the stands.

From an entirely neutral point of view. Celtic Park is the best stadium and the location, despite perceptions is good for pubs etc. Ibrox is next, Hampden is last for overall experience. However. the first two belong to clubs who have nothing but contempt for the rest of Scottish football, for that reason I wouldn't give either the steam of my pish, never mind pay them to host games.

Celtic park is best for the big games. The atmosphere it creates is special, for Tuesday is it too much to ask for punters to get in their seats in plenty of time for the national anthem instead of squeezing in another pint at 7.30.

Archived