Football matches are like buses - Spartans vs Morton

Simplistic

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it as it is Heed, not like you to hold back.

I did say in an earlier post I think Spartans are saving a good game for today.

Great result for us Lowlanders.

in truth mate, anyone that knows anything about Spartans, knows this result isn't a suprise. Love them or hate them, the majority of non-league clubs aspire to be like them

The subs today were fucking bizarre to say the least, why was McCluskey not taken off? Guess Duffy paid the price for that with him being sent off minutes later, would have liked to see McNeil get on aswell, heard Kilday at one point shout something along the lines of 'who the f**k is up front?' when Orr came on, sums it up.

The laughter is well merited I have to say, but in truth we have previous for this.

Peterhead turfed us out from the Highland League during Hitler Scott's era, we scraped past Buckie thanks to an injury time goal from Sanny and lately we drew away to Turriff a year or so ago.

Well done Spartans, hope you get a good draw in the next round.

Peterhead were a league team at that point. I believe that this is our first defeat to a non-league side in the post-war era.

Peterhead were a league team at that point. I believe that this is our first defeat to a non-league side in the post-war era.

I remember us drawing 2-2 with Highland League Peterhead at Stark's when we had a good team. They even took as to a third game at Gayfield when they finally ran out of steam.

Message from vikingTON to Clyde fans 1st November...........

Pumped by a non-league team. :lol: ............

Ye must feel like i right diddie. :lol: :lol:

Duffy :P :P :P

that boy has to much of what the cat licks its arse with

The subs today were fucking bizarre to say the least, why was McCluskey not taken off? Guess Duffy paid the price for that with him being sent off minutes later, would have liked to see McNeil get on aswell, heard Kilday at one point shout something along the lines of 'who the f**k is up front?' when Orr came on, sums it up.

Duffy's management of that game is as bad as I've seen. We all knew what was happening in the second half, we could all see it slipping away. S.McCluskey was having a nightmare and we weren't controlling the midfield. Couldn't believe it when Orr came on for Russell. Why did Russell not start at left back and Crawford in midfield? McKee and O'Ware did nothing in the second half. I was assuming he'd bring on Crawford and McNeil for Lamie and McCluskey.

We dominated the first half without creating much, but Spartans hadn't turned up for the first half. Second half they were running through massive gaps in our defence as we continued to struggle to create anything. The difference in quality between Pepper/McManus and McKee/McCluskey is massive - leagues apart.

Also, anyone else see O'Ware's altercation with the Spartans fan at the end? The guy was sarcastically clapping him off the pitch and by the looks of it big Tam went up and offered him a square go, guy was at least 40 aswell. :lol:

Stefan McCluskey had a free run into the box from the byline at one point, but let the ball roll out of play for a goal kick because he thought the ref was going to blow for a free kick. Sums up his game - he was lost out there against a non league team. Painful to watch him attempt to play at times, maybe that's why the ref sent him off.

Took in this tie today. Arrived fairly early which was just as well, as the stand seemed to fill-up pretty quickly and it was a good turn-out. Well-tempered crowd and atmosphere and nice to have the minute silence for Arthur Montford followed by the Scotsport theme. Also good idea to have youngsters doing penalties and mini-matches for HT interval.

Morton were totally in control in the first half. Spartans disappointing - lots of sloppy passes, and their keeper had a few hairy moments... Morton should have been far further ahead at HT than 0-1. Would they come to rue this profligacy, many of us surely pondered?

Well, yes they would... as with every minute of the second half that ticked by, they further dropped the pace, abandoned the midfield, and seemed almost to retreat into their shells. Spartans had them on the rack for a period either side of the equaliser, that equaliser which looked more and more likely to come. Trauma of being pegged-back to 1-1 shook Morton into action and they came back at Spartans - but that energy all but evaporated when their man got his 2nd booking for a clumsy challenge. (Incidentally was his first yellow for dissent? I was surprised how much abuse Morton players gave the officials even when in control of the game, and at least 1 and possibly 2 of them was booked for carrying the criticisms too far). Spartans decided to go for it v 10 men, and rightly, the winner coming with Morton starting to buckle and desperate for the whistle. Cue delirium among the home support, and crescendoes of "Spartan Army!!" from the youngsters.

Taking the balance of the 2 halves a replay would probably have been merited (IMO), but this is cup-tie football and Spartans played it the right way. Famous victory for them.

Archived