Rob Roy v Pollok , Guy's Meadow ,Cumbernauld , Sat Nov 15th, 2pm

RobRoyGuy

Big game for both clubs this weekend. A Pollok win and they will start to open up a fair gap at the top and be well on their way to getting promotion back to the premier league at the first time of asking. Ourselves a team very much work in progress . A great chance to test ourselves against a team who imo would be in the top half of the premier if they were in it this season.

Always looked forward to playing Pollok , the junior team i have spent the majority of my 26 years as a junior supporter looking up to, hoping my own team could get close to.

5 ex Roy players in the Polok squad , Lindsay , Bradley, McAleenan,Frye, Andreoni , so Roy fans will be familiar with at least some of their players .

From a Roy point of view i would keep the same team that played saturday against maybole bar two. I would opt for Kenny Jarvis at left back and put Gary McMenamin in centre mid alongside two of McKechnie / Urquhart / Hunter. Would go for experience in a game like this that's why i would bring in these two guys. Defence and keeper have looked fairly solid but they will come up against some very good attacking players in particular Winters. Hopefully our defence can keep their concentration and keep him and the rest out .

Paul Finnegan will be crucial for us , his experience and organisation skills . Cannot praise this guy enough , watched him a few times over the years for opposition but when you see him week in week out you realise he is everything you want in a top semi pro footballer , very fit, composed , good ability , talks to people properly firm but fair. for sure one of the most professional guys i have seen in a Roy jersey.

Hopefully Our manager maxi can keep his composure as things will no doubt get heated and we all know Mr McInally's reputation :1eye .

Should be a decent crowd given it's international week , hopefully it stays reasonably dry.

Btw Davie ( Pollok cameraman ) not sure where you can film saturday not many good vantage points at guys meadow unlike adamslie where you were spoilt.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice paragraph about the wee man. Echo those sentiments all day long. A good pro and a nice guy also.

No swearing at or abusing team mates, he'll help your younger troops develop good habits.

He needed a change of scene and obviously the Rabs fits the bill perfectly for him, going by your summing up of him.

Interesting how KRR are work in progress, however Pollok, who compared to last season will have a new keeper, new back 4, will have 2 maybe 3 new midfielders and possibly one new forward are in your opinion a top half super premier side. Tony has strengthened the squad well, but still very much work in progress and without playing against premier sides every week I don't think you could call where this side would be in the top league.

I don't think you will find anyone at Pollok making these type of statements and that's from people who see them every week - however you know that don't you...and it's much easier to keep playing down your own side despite their results while talking up others.

As for the game itself, we are playing well and I am hopeful if we keep up that form we can come away with 3 points. However it will be very tough and I would imagine most would settle for a draw and maintain the current gap leaving you needing to win your games in hand to draw level.

Been a while since I have been to Cumbernauld - is there much cover should the weather be bad?

A few ex-Pollok players at KRR as well, as it has been for the past 4 years or so. Looking forward to the game as always. We are nowhere near the finished article either, but we finally have a team playing good football and are at the club to be here and do well, not to see out playing days.

Btw Brian, I'd be surprised if more than 3 of those players played on Saturday. How's Murdoch doing? Always liked him as a keeper.

Interesting how KRR are work in progress, however Pollok, who compared to last season will have a new keeper, new back 4, will have 2 maybe 3 new midfielders and possibly one new forward are in your opinion a top half super premier side. Tony has strengthened the squad well, but still very much work in progress and without playing against premier sides every week I don't think you could call where this side would be in the top league.

I don't think you will find anyone at Pollok making these type of statements and that's from people who see them every week - however you know that don't you...and it's much easier to keep playing down your own side despite their results while talking up others.

As for the game itself, we are playing well and I am hopeful if we keep up that form we can come away with 3 points. However it will be very tough and I would imagine most would settle for a draw and maintain the current gap leaving you needing to win your games in hand to draw level.

Been a while since I have been to Cumbernauld - is there much cover should the weather be bad?

There's a shed that's quite large and should provide ample cover, its one of them grounds where everything's on the one side which hosts the shed while straight across on the other side is a very low fence and both dugouts.

Lots of balls go out of play due to the low fence but its a good venue and the bar area inside the ground is excellent with picnic tables outside it which is obviously far better during the summer time.

Yes very much looking forward to this myself .

Fingers crossed the weather holds up as i only get every 2nd week free to watch the Rabs due to my work situation.

You praised Finnegan , is this the small RB ?

That's him

What age is Paul finnegan now?

I remember himself and Martin Melvin were loaned out to beith from Dumbarton a long time ago and both were very young boys at the time.

Finnegan was a right back then and Melvin was a flying machine centre forward of huge potential who seemed to just disappear off the radar.

What age is Paul finnegan now? I remember himself and Martin Melvin were loaned out to beith from Dumbarton a long time ago and both were very young boys at the time. Finnegan was a right back then and Melvin was a flying machine centre forward of huge potential who seemed to just disappear off the radar.

He's older than Gary McStay, and some would say twice as quick. ;-)

You have a more experienced squad than us which will stand you in good stead this season and next in the premier. Example you have winters up front we have a young lad 21/22 from campsie black watch.You have taz on the wing , we have a talented young boy second season junior who came from amateurs You will get more consistency over a season from the players you have that's why i don't expect us to be up challenging pollok long term.

I have only gave my opinion and in my opinion looking at your squad you would be a very good premier league team . I may be right i may be wrong .

It's a fair size enclosure but not on the scale of the lok's, excellent bar / social club. spectators can't go round the far side so if we get a good crowd it may get a bit crowded over on the terrace.

Bits and pieces i have picked up seems as though mcaleenan has done well so far this season , and frye , two guys we had for a time at the roy but never really got the best out of them.

David Craig from the 1958 side is still twice as quick as Garry McStay! Just joking!

Finnie is the finest gentleman ever to have played for the Bon Accord, at least in my time.

A real gent, unless you... no, we'll come back to that another day.

KRR are lucky to have Jonny and Finnie from the great SBA side of 2011/12. I wish them all the best.

Finnegan looks the fittest player in our team , if we win saturday and he plays well will start a fan club myself :lol:

Btw was he your scottish cup winning captain ? He will be up against taz or ... well not sure who plays wide left for pollok. Will be an interesting tussle no matter who it is.

What age is Paul finnegan now? I remember himself and Martin Melvin were loaned out to beith from Dumbarton a long time ago and both were very young boys at the time. Finnegan was a right back then and Melvin was a flying machine centre forward of huge potential who seemed to just disappear off the radar.

Interesting , actually don't know much about finnegans career other than his time at shotts. Actually not sure what age he is , hoping he is older than me then i can at least hold onto the fact at least one Roy player is older than me :rolleyes:

Finnegan looks the fittest player in our team , if we win saturday and he plays well will start a fan club myself :lol:

Btw was he your scottish cup winning captain ? He will be up against taz or ... well not sure who plays wide left for pollok. Will be an interesting tussle no matter who it is.

Interesting , actually don't know much about finnegans career other than his time at shotts. Actually not sure what age he is , hoping he is older than me then i can at least hold onto the fact at least one Roy player is older than me :rolleyes:

The captain of the side was John Boyack, another gent. He also left us a season too early but that was something to do with his job.

I would guess he's roughly in his mid thirties as he played for us around the early to mid 90s from Dumbarton when he was a youngster .

The captain of the side was John Boyack, another gent. He also left us a season too early but that was something to do with his job.

Ahh yes so he was . Thanks for that . What's so impressive about finnegan ( sorry will stop praising him soon ha ) is the fact he has won a scottish cup winners medal , played in successful team , done so much yet no airs or graces about him. He puts in a right shift every game , leads by example and helps the younger guys in our team. If only we had him last season .

A few ex-Pollok players at KRR as well, as it has been for the past 4 years or so. Looking forward to the game as always. We are nowhere near the finished article either, but we finally have a team playing good football and are at the club to be here and do well, not to see out playing days.

Btw Brian, I'd be surprised if more than 3 of those players played on Saturday. How's Murdoch doing? Always liked him as a keeper.

Fair enough jack .

Murdoch overall has done well for us. Had one bad moment when he slipped on the goal line and let the ball go in , one of those things that can happen to a keeper , cost us the game as it was in injury time . Next game he bounced back well making some great saves to help us win at largs. Not saying he is the best junior keeper out their , but certainly the best we have had for a few years though.

When did winters join you guy's ? as i dont recall him playing against us last season.

I would guess he's roughly in his mid thirties as he played for us around the early to mid 90s from Dumbarton when he was a youngster .

So beith made him into the player he is today ! :P

Ahh yes so he was . Thanks for that . What's so impressive about finnegan ( sorry will stop praising him soon ha ) is the fact he has won a scottish cup winners medal , played in successful team , done so much yet no airs or graces about him. He puts in a right shift every game , leads by example and helps the younger guys in our team. If only we had him last season .

Fair enough jack .

Murdoch overall has done well for us. Had one bad moment when he slipped on the goal line and let the ball go in , one of those things that can happen to a keeper , cost us the game as it was in injury time . Next game he bounced back well making some great saves to help us win at largs. Not saying he is the best junior keeper out their , but certainly the best we have had for a few years though.

When did winters join you guy's ? as i dont recall him playing against us last season.

I never really rated the wee man with us as he was quite raw but he's improved lots.

Martin mcgarvey and paddy flannery were just that wee bit better at beith for having Dumbarton roots. :)

Fair enough jack .

He didn't, joined us with 5 games to go. Now scored 24 goals in 20 games, a really classy striker.

Archived