Bo'ness United v Arbroath

Jambo'ness

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the bus situation;

The issue is the blatant undercutting of the supporters club. Competing with the only group who are prepared to run a bus to the far flung grounds at a loss and then underselling them at the ones they could balance their books on.

What clearly should be happening is that the club should be engaging with the supporters club and agreeing a price both can work with. That way, people will choose the bus that is convenient rather than just opting for the cheaper one (as it is, the majority of people on the supporters club bus will be there out of loyalty to the club)

The issue is compounded by the fact they haven't offered a concession rate for youngsters. It just doesn't seem very thought through at all.

Really need to ask this but what is so bad about the Newtown Bar that it's needs to be avoided at all costs?

Are there growlers with knuckles scraping along the floor, does it harbor a secret cult and we will never get out alive.taliban head office or is the beer just shit suspense is killing me?

Really need to ask this but what is so bad about the Newtown Bar that it's needs to be avoided at all costs?

You have a 50/50 chance of being hit on the napper with a bottle.

And I am not joking about these odds - the place is full of ars*holes.

Rating: 1 - ‎1 review1 Review of Newtown Bar "I know where Shamless and Still Game got there idea for there teleshows"

Just found this review for the infamous Newtown Bar surely this is a nostalgic must for all those Plough and Harrow regulars of the past.

I think though you have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. How many other football clubs run buses for their supporters? This isn’t an affluent era and apart from the likes of Queen’s Park running buses to their temporary ground or clubs running buses to the big cup ties which always pull the arm chair supporter out to dust off their scarves then is it is sustainable to run a bus every week?

What happens if only 5 or 10 people use it? You can see the effect of even something small as a programme having huge printing costs results in a 4 figure loss per year. What costs would putting on a bus that wasn’t utilised do? It’s not just the bus. I am sure that to run a bus you have to have insurance which is probably more than the bus itself.

I am sure that the club make no financial monies from putting on a bus 2-3 times a year for the glamour ties and for the crunch games, like most other clubs do. Remember we aren’t a huge club, there isn’t an endless amount of cash to spend.

If things can be done to make communications better between club and supporters club then even better. Maybe you should put yourself forward as mediator

I'm not suggesting that the club consistently run buses to games there is little demand for and consequently a significent loss is made (just as TASC aren't in a position to do this), but I think a lot more could be done to liaise with the supporters club, and/ or the supporters themselves. In certain situations, with a little bit of thought for the travelling support, I think things could be made a lot easier for them and bridges could be built with the club. As an example, our midweek game down at Annan a few weeks ago. The club ran a bus down there for the team/ officials, while I would imagine the minibus the club own was sitting unused, probably in the car park beside the ground. There was a good few people who expressed interest in heading down to the game but couldn't find a way to get there/ back, and a few who drove down. With a minibus that wouldn’t cost more to run than the petrol and driver costs (as far as I am aware), could it not have potentially been looked into that this took 10/15 fans down to the game at fifteen quid a head (which I believe would more than cover costs)? Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs, and have no idea about the insurance side of it that you mention, but I'm not sure how this would be an issue if it isn't for the few games like this one, where a bus is put on, although I'm far from an expert in insurance!

Agree. This is the only thing they should come in for any criticism for, but if the club subsidises the TASC bus surely it shouldnt be to much of a problem?

I don’t believe the club have ever helped to subsidise any TASC bus put on. I am not 100% sure on that however, and would happily be corrected. What makes you think they have ever subsidised a bus run by TASC?

Simon – you make valid points and I agree with some of them. I know there are certain supporters who travel great lengths to support Arbroath and have done for numerous years. Do the club appreciate this? Yes. Do the players appreciate this? Absolutely.

As lichtielegend has stated, TASC attempt to run buses to as many games as possible, with the games where a bus makes a loss subsidised by the games such as Bo’ness where the club makes a profit on the bus. If Arbroath FC continue to run buses to these bigger games, undercutting the supporters club then there will end up being no supporters club buses to ANY games. This doesn’t give me the impression that the club appreciate these supporters at all, frankly it gives me the impression they couldn't give a shit if a supporters club bus runs to any games. Personally, and I don’t particularly like saying it, I have to say I have at no point ever felt like the club appreciate my continued support every week. I'm not saying they don't, but I've never seen any evidence of it!

I don't like having a go at the club, and I very rarely do so, I much prefer defending them against outsiders. :guntoting:guns However, when it comes to this I think it is beyond a joke now that the club have no relationship with the only supporters club they have. We are a small football club, with a small support, and clubs our size need everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

I was just going off of SBC I think it was saying he was 99.9 percent sure they did Simon. I agree that their should be some sort of arrangement with regards to the pricing etc though.

What would you like the club to do to show they appreciate your support? Genuine question as I feel the club should reward loyal supporters in some way. In my SSC membership I get a point for every away game I attend, meaning that when the big games come around I get more chance of grabbing an away ticket.

Obviously wouldnt work for us but any ideas you have on what AFC could do to reward the supporters who turn up every week?

I should also add that this is just one thing I have an issue with, overall I think the board do an excellent job, I just feel their relationship with the fans isn't as healthy as it could and probably should be. If there was a stronger relationship between the club, the supporters club, and the rest of the fans it would benefit everyone, so it is disappointing that this isn't the case.

I think we should all meet up in the Newtown Bar pre match to discuss this further..... :rolleyes::unsure2: :unsure2:

I should also add that this is just one thing I have an issue with, overall I think the board do an excellent job, I just feel their relationship with the fans isn't as healthy as it could and probably should be. If there was a stronger relationship between the club, the supporters club, and the rest of the fans it would benefit everyone, so it is disappointing that this isn't the case.

I think we should all meet up in the Newtown Bar pre match to discuss this further..... :rolleyes::unsure2: :unsure2:

I have no relationship with the board,never have had, don't know many if any fellow football supporters who do tbh i dont follow Arbroath to have a relationship with the board,as long as the club is well run and solvent the board are doing there job.

NEWTOWN BAR IT IS THEN LOL

The people that drink in Newton Bar do so because they are barred from everywhere else .

If you want to have a few beers hassle free take the other posters advice and go to Fisons or Richmond park hotel , whenever I go for a pint I have to pass Newtown bar and I have not put a foot inside in 15 years .

At the Elgin game Fisons were doing stovies for £1 a plate but they only had 1 hall open , they also have a bigger hall which is usually open just open at night .

They would open it in the afternoon if nearer the time you contacted them and could tell them that a descent number of people would turn up .

That would be better for both sets of fans as the place was full v Elgin and they had very few fans down.

I believe Fisons can be contacted via facebook or you could phone them

Very good to hear :) There is still an issue there though, as LL stated.

I've never seen a pub get such bad press and warning to stay away as the Newtown Bar .... it must be some place! Have away fans made the mistakes of venturing in there previously to warrent such a warning?!

Very good to hear :) There is still an issue there though, as LL stated.

I've never seen a pub get such bad press and warning to stay away as the Newtown Bar .... it must be some place! Have away fans made the mistakes of venturing in there previously to warrent such a warning?!

I've been in worse to be honest.

Archived