How to attract Committee Help?

beith19

Just checked my own teams website and see we have ten on our committee. Never counted them before. Is that the norm out of interest on high side?

All guys who join committees deserve a pat on the backas long as they are on it for the right reasons.

Better two or three good committee guys than having 8/9 who don't do anything.

My wife and daughter help me at the Albert (canne get away from them) were we only have two on the committee.

That’s it exactly – no point in having a huge committee many of whom have no defined function. Have a specific job in mind and recruit to that job from among your support rather than just advertising for bodies.

I do think a lot of teams could struggle to keep going even Super League teams as mostly older committee members and in 15-20 years time a lot of now well known Junior clubs could no longer be about due to lack of volunteers or help from younger generation. At Meadow a big Junior club we have less than 10 official committee but have social club committee and other helpers on match days etc but like most club would love more help.

That’s it exactly – no point in having a huge committee many of whom have no defined function. Have a specific job in mind and recruit to that job from among your support rather than just advertising for bodies.

It depends on the club. At Pollok, all matchday duties are carried out (apart from the shop) by committee members. The club's constitution allows for 30 on committee (of which 6 are office-bearers), formed from the Club Membership. Even though times have been hard lately, the committee presently is full. To be honest, the more you have, the more the burden is shared. If Lok had a committee of 15, I could almost certainly guarantee the turnover of people on it would be greater and the ability to fill vacancies harder as the roles themselves would be horrendous.

As a general committee member, my various matchday duties included doing the cash gate every 3 to 4 games (which at Lok means seeing bugger all of the 1st half), selling half-time draw tickets, standing on the members gate, selling the programme, chasing up team-lines from the two match secretaries to write them up to stick on the noticeboard, cleaning the terraces, manning the pitch exit gates at half-time, stewarding with a fashionable body warmer on at big cup ties and doing the tannoy. If I was not on the gate, then I'd be doing at least one of the other things.

Add doing the programme for 3/4 seasons and the official website for 7. Other committee jobs I did not do included working in the pie hut, serving teas / coffees pre & post game in the pavilion, groundsman, working on the pitch on matchday and doing ground maintenance, looking after the kit, or any of the office bearer roles (secretary, match secretary, treasurer, minute secretary, vice president or president).

Like I say, the more bodies you have, the more people can enjoy being on the committee without it being an unhappy 2nd marriage.

It depends on the club. At Pollok, all matchday duties are carried out (apart from the shop) by committee members. The club's constitution allows for 30 on committee (of which 6 are office-bearers), formed from the Club Membership. Even though times have been hard lately, the committee presently is full. To be honest, the more you have, the more the burden is shared. If Lok had a committee of 15, I could almost certainly guarantee the turnover of people on it would be greater and the ability to fill vacancies harder as the roles themselves would be horrendous.

As a general committee member, my various matchday duties included doing the cash gate every 3 to 4 games (which at Lok means seeing bugger all of the 1st half), selling half-time draw tickets, standing on the members gate, selling the programme, chasing up team-lines from the two match secretaries to write them up to stick on the noticeboard, cleaning the terraces, manning the pitch exit gates at half-time, stewarding with a fashionable body warmer on at big cup ties and doing the tannoy. If I was not on the gate, then I'd be doing at least one of the other things.

Add doing the programme for 3/4 seasons and the official website for 7. Other committee jobs I did not do included working in the pie hut, serving teas / coffees pre & post game in the pavilion, groundsman, working on the pitch on matchday and doing ground maintenance, looking after the kit, or any of the office bearer roles (secretary, match secretary, treasurer, minute secretary, vice president or president).

Like I say, the more bodies you have, the more people can enjoy being on the committee without it being an unhappy 2nd marriage.

Great post.

An age old problem for many clubs.

There are groups setup to help. They can help you get volunteers. All Government funded. But it is essential you know what you want. Not just 'someone to come onto the committee'. You can get an accountant to help with the finances but they might not be any good or interested in putting up nets or pumping up balls. Same for the guy who can sell raffle tickets. Welcome everybody, there will be some job for them. Just a matter of matching them to it.

Some clubs have committees of 20 plus. But the club is really run by 3 or 4 people. But that is fine as long as you accept not every committee member can read a financial report. Everyone to their ability and interests.

First stage is contact what is called a Third Sector Interface (TSI on this page). http://www.vascotland.org/tsis/find-your-tsi There is one for each of the 32 Council areas in Scotland. Contact your local one - just phone them to start. These people are paid to help YOU!

They will want you to join as a member. Think it costs £15. This allows you to access their services. http://www.volunteerscotland.net/organisations/recruiting-volunteers/ Any post you advertise can be shown across Council boundaries. If you are in North Lanarkshire your vacancies can be also shown in South Lan and East Dumbartonshire for example. But you decide. And be specific on what you want.

Make sure you manage your volunteers properly. Appoint a volunteer coordinator. No point in getting new members if they clear off after a couple of months.

They won't like it if you insist only grumpy old sods over 60 can apply! This is what they call an 'inclusive' world, so make sure you tick their boxes ;)

These organisations run courses to help you and the volunteers get the most from the activity. These are mainly run during the day. But could be in evenings or weekends.

To get this working properly takes a bit of time and commitment but I would suggest well worth it. If anyone has questions they don't want to discuss on here, just pm me.

PS. Forgot to say, make sure you are not asking volunteers for a lifetime commitment. That threat more than anything scares people off.

Never ask for volunteers. You might get one. Better to approach someone who is;

1. A fan

And

2. Who has the attributes you need.

I've served on various sports committees, although never a junior football one. Asking for volunteers is tantamount to an invite for every bam pot with an opinion on how the club "should" be run to come on board and destroy it.

Archived