Linesmen / Assistant Referees in Junior Football.

RobRoyGuy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not happy with officials you will be more than welcome to put yourself forward to help out. Bottom line is at the top level in the juniors without refs and assistants you have no game!!!

Guess what at any level with out refs and assistants you have no game.

Doesn't mean they should be immune from criticism.

A neutral but incompetent linesman's still better than the bad old days of "committee" members running the lines.

You are wrong there regards club supplying linesmen. The guidence given when a club official is on the line is that they indicate that the ball is out of play, leaving the referee to decide who gets the throw-in. Offside or free kicks are solely for the referee to decide.

I believe the biggest bugbear to referees is knowing that a supervisor is watching him from the terracing. This often results in excessive use of yellow cards when a word of warning would suffice.

Nossa, it's almost as if when you pay the £12 that will barely cover the petrol money, for people to stand and get vicious personal abuse from fans and players, to do a job that is cognitively impossible for any human being to do, that they struggle to find top class people to do it.

The only people who will ever do this are young inexperienced people wanting to progress and old people who do it for the fun. If you don't like this then start paying a lot fucking more than you do currently. Or stop being an arsehole having a go at people who will be making no financial gain and are a much better solution than just one ref on his own.

If you don't like it, you can always play cricket.

Nossa, it's almost as if when you pay the £12 that will barely cover the petrol money, for people to stand and get vicious personal abuse from fans and players, to do a job that is cognitively impossible for any human being to do, that they struggle to find top class people to do it.

The only people who will ever do this are young inexperienced people wanting to progress and old people who do it for the fun. If you don't like this then start paying a lot fucking more than you do currently. Or stop being an arsehole having a go at people who will be making no financial gain and are a much better solution than just one ref on his own.

If you don't like it, you can always play cricket.

In the North Superleague each Assistant is paid £25. The clubs voted to have Assistants at every Superleague fixture. Incidentally the ref gets £47.50, so that £97.50 for a set of officials for each game. In general terms the officials in the North, especially in the Aberdeen area, are very good.

Officials did a good job at Blair Park, Hurlford yesterday.

A match without assistant's just doesn't look right, be as well putting jackets down for goalposts.

Totally agree that is one of my pet hates of being in the ADL there is no assistants and it makes the ref's job ten times harder

In the North Superleague each Assistant is paid £25. The clubs voted to have Assistants at every Superleague fixture. Incidentally the ref gets £47.50, so that £97.50 for a set of officials for each game. In general terms the officials in the North, especially in the Aberdeen area, are very good.

The money in East and West (which is £45 and £22.50) is not dissimilar so Supras is talking mince to quote that figure in relation to the juniors. The rest of his point is fair enough though.

Nice to hear!

You are wrong there regards club supplying linesmen. The guidence given when a club official is on the line is that they indicate that the ball is out of play, leaving the referee to decide who gets the throw-in. Offside or free kicks are solely for the referee to decide.

I believe the biggest bugbear to referees is knowing that a supervisor is watching him from the terracing. This often results in excessive use of yellow cards when a word of warning would suffice.

There is no such thing as excessive use of yellow cards - only an improper application of the rules. A bookable offence is a bookable offence.

There is no such thing as excessive use of yellow cards - only an improper application of the rules. A bookable offence is a bookable offence.

Well if you've watched matches attended by supervisors looking to promote the official, you'd know this generally refers to people thinking referees become stricter because they're being watched. A potential warning becomes a booking etc.... With any cautionable offence it can be open to interpretation. My experience of watching refs being supervised would be that any potential grey area or leniency vanishes and there's a greater tendency for harsher bookings. IMO.

Well if you've watched matches attended by supervisors looking to promote the official, you'd know this generally refers to people thinking referees become stricter because they're being watched. A potential warning becomes a booking etc.... With any cautionable offence it can be open to interpretation. My experience of watching refs being supervised would be that any potential grey area or leniency vanishes and there's a greater tendency for harsher bookings. IMO.

In other words referees being supervised apply the rules correctly while those who aren't generally don't.

I agree with what you say but would guess that most people want the referees to show leniency when suitable, however one thing everyone wants is consistency and the two cannot always coexist.

So if referees always apply the rule of the law as far as possible and exclude any personal feelings as to the merits of a decision we'll all have consistency, however nobody is Ebert going to be happy that way.

Guess what at any level with out refs and assistants you have no game.

Doesn't mean they should be immune from criticism.

Didn't realise that the District league had assistants at every game. I watched a South of Scotland match on Saturday which only had a ref, so was basing my post on that.

I agree they are not immune to criticism but over the years I've mellowed to the you can't live without them mindset.

AFAIA:

Assistants have to be provided at all matches in the professional game i.e. SPFL, HL, LL.

Apparently numbers are strongest in the Strathclyde area and all SuperPremier and SuperFirst games in the West Juniors are also covered - as are most (but not always every) game in the Superleague of the East Juniors.

Beyond those it's a smatterring dotted around according to whatever SFA has left, and whatever regional Referee Associations have left.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, the Womens Premier League also seems to have assistants at all matches. So basically there are enough assistants for 10 divisions out 27 in Senior and Junior mens and womens football, the other 17 sharing scraps.

North Juniors mentioned above must receive assistants from RAs, presumably? They don't appear on SFA appointment lists.

It's a wonder anyone would linesman given the bizarre and generally unfair abuse dished out.

I totally agree, some of the abuse is shocking, and even the shouts from coaching staff at times.

Some of these people must have amazing eyesight, giving calls on incidents on the opposite side of the pitch that the linesman is next to but they know better!

In other words referees being supervised apply the rules correctly while those who aren't generally don't.

I agree with what you say but would guess that most people want the referees to show leniency when suitable, however one thing everyone wants is consistency and the two cannot always coexist.

So if referees always apply the rule of the law as far as possible and exclude any personal feelings as to the merits of a decision we'll all have consistency, however nobody is Ebert going to be happy that way.

I don't know if 'correctly' is the right word - I said strictly. They are less likely to - excuse the pun - err on the side of caution when being assessed. I think that's the same for anyone in any line of work being watched by a boss. In football, plenty of decisions are arguable with both parties being correct - even refs can see it differently!

I appreciate the points made by various posters on here and I agree it must make referees jobs a bit easier. ( or should do) when they have "qualified" people running the line.

However, our game v Beith on Saturday was a perfect example of what I think some of the posters are alluding to.

We are finding it difficult enough to get points in the league with a the recent changes at the club etc, and the last thing we need is for a linesman AND REFEREE to miss a blatant foul on the far side of the pitch, from where the ball is played over and Beith get the free kick from which they score the only goal of the game.

In this instance, both those officials , it could be argued, cost us the game.

Yes I know we could have come back, yes I know we could have defended better etc etc , but , it is those kind off things that cause the fans to get pissed off

The linesman on the near side , where I was standing, decided to inform us that he didn't blow up for a foul as " I played a great advantage".

The player who was fouled was running into the corner of the park with two defenders blocking his route to the box .......... What feckin advantage was he talking about

Archived