World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, Semifinal

banana

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do we reckon? 25k a bit optimistic? Think the 94 cup tie at Hampden was roughly 22k with 13k at the replay.

In 1994 both clubs tended to bring a lot less to semis.

For Aberdeen, the semis with United 94, Rangers 95 and Hearts 96 we had less than 10,000 at them all.

No idea how many we'll sell - the cup final sales went above all my own expectations, as did the St Johnstone semi at Ibrox - but will confidently predict it'll be the biggest crowd ever at a Dundee United v Aberdeen match by a considerable distance.

EDIT: Just realised there was 41,500 at a Scottish Cup semi between the pair in 1967, so actually it probably won't be the biggest crowd between the two.

Change it to biggest crowd at Hampden between the pair.

For Aberdeen, the semis with United 94, Rangers 95 and Hearts 96 we had less than 10,000 at them all.

No idea how many we'll sell - the cup final sales went above all my own expectations, as did the St Johnstone semi at Ibrox - but will confidently predict it'll be the biggest crowd ever at a Dundee United v Aberdeen match by a considerable distance.

A distance more than the 29k at the league cup final at dens?

A distance more than the 29k at the league cup final at dens?

Didn't realise it was that high, thought it was a bit lower than that, but I do think it'll be over 30,000.

Especially after today's results. The game has become a lot bigger for us now as it's the only chance of a trophy.

32,000 is my guess.

It really won't be!

I don't know what some United fans are smoking looking at the numbers being posted on here. We took 11,000 to a massively hyped cheap ticketed Scottish Cup semi last season. Plenty of people I know not going through to Hampden.

It really won't be!

I don't know what some United fans are smoking looking at the numbers being posted on here. We took 11,000 to a massively hyped cheap ticketed Scottish Cup semi last season. Plenty of people I know not going through to Hampden.

Any reason why?

I ask because having read comments on here and Utd-mad I get the impression the fact it's Hampden is putting many off. Poor view etc.

You would imagine though, if hypothetically Aberdeen reach 20,000 sales with two weeks to go or something, United fans may feel compelled to rally and sell a lot more.

Any reason why?

I ask because having read comments on here and Utd-mad I get the impression the fact it's Hampden is putting many off. Poor view etc.

You would imagine though, if hypothetically Aberdeen reach 20,000 sales with two weeks to go or something, United fans may feel compelled to rally and sell a lot more.

Each to their own isn't it? I was very excited about the semi at Ibrox last year. A league cup semi at a half empty Hampden where I have the choice of sitting a mile from the pitch or pay extra to sit with the prawn cocktail brigade does little for me. I'll probably go, but there's plenty who won't.

It's a simple fact that United fans turn out in big numbers for the Scottish Cup - the league cup, not so much!

And if theres a single United fan who decides to go because they've heard Aberdeen have sold lots of tickets, well...

It's a simple fact that United fans turn out in big numbers for the Scottish Cup - the league cup, not so much!

It may "only" be the League Cup, but if United were to win it virtue of beating Dundee, Hibs away, Aberdeen and one of the Old Firm, then that's a pretty good cup run.

From experience I can say seeing your team win the thing is pretty good!

And if theres a single United fan who decides to go because they've heard Aberdeen have sold lots of tickets, well...

Well that helped spur the sales for the Ibrox semi did it not, that they didn't want to be largely outnumbered by Rangers?

Not impossible to believe a situation like that would spark fans into encouraging other fans to buy tickets.

It may "only" be the League Cup, but if United were to win it virtue of beating Dundee, Hibs away, Aberdeen and one of the Old Firm, then that's a pretty good cup run.

From experience I can say seeing your team win the thing is pretty good!

Well that helped spur the sales for the Ibrox semi did it not, that they didn't want to be largely outnumbered by Rangers?

Not impossible to believe a situation like that would spark fans into encouraging other fans to buy tickets.

It is only the League Cup. We had over 2000 fans in Motherwell yesterday. It'd have been around a quarter of that if it was a league cup game - thats just the way it is.

And no, United fans were spurred by the ridiculous decision to hold a semi final at another teams home park, and bought tickets as soon as they went on sale.

It is only the League Cup. We had over 2000 fans in Motherwell yesterday. It'd have been around a quarter of that if it was a league cup game - thats just the way it is.

And no, United fans were spurred by the ridiculous decision to hold a semi final at another teams home park, and bought tickets as soon as they went on sale.

It would have been about 1200 if it was a Lge Cup 4th Round on a Saturday.

£48 for 4 on the train return from Aberdeen. Down Friday back Saturday. Cracking.

Saturday 3 o'clock will make all the difference for the crowd. We had this slot v Celtic (1-4) a few years back under Craig Brown and had 15,000. Reckon we could touch 20k if in good form. Would hope to see United take similar amount as they did to Ibrox last season- likewise if in good form.

Having decided to resign from the (Diddy) Scottish Cup on Saturday, I'd expect Aberdeen to bring at least 40,000.

Hopefully United can fill both minibuses and we can get the crowd up to 40,032 - I'm not convinced they'll manage though.

Archived