World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, Semifinal

banana

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Duncan Shearer score their goal, Guido done the same from a Hateley volley in the Final but recovered on that occasion!

Burridge was excellent in the first game, was surprised Welsh's header snuck past him, some leap though, Bowman really took charge late in that game

Aberdeen were well in control of the replay, a dogged display by United to grind out the win. That Welshie goal though, a probable top 10 United scenic moment that I've witnessed.

The naievity of youth.

It's the BBC, there's no real reason for a lunchtime kick-off unless there was police advice as it won't be clashing with anything like Sky or BT.

It was lunchtime last year for Hearts/Caley because BBC were showing six nations in the afternoon. The year before that though Celtic v St Mirren was a 2.30pm kick-off.

I have it on a disc but would need to upload, memories are that United had all the chances in the 1-1 game but needed a last gasp equaliser, Aberdeen all the chances in the replay but we got the only goal in the second half, still a fav memory of mine that goal

If you're able to upload it (even just the highlights) that'd be superb. Would be good to see it again. Same with replay if there were full highlights rather than the brief bit on youtube.

Was at the first game, didn't go to the replay. My dad thought we had the west side of Hampden (our tickets were for the main stand) so that's where we parked. Sat in the car clad in Aberdeen gear while thousands of happy Dundee Utd fans marched past after the final whistle.

I remember the uproar when Hampden was announced for the replay. Everyone wanted Dens Park or McDairmid Park.

What the highlights show is a half empty Hampden. At the replay there was 13,963, though the first game did manage a whopping 21,397.

No idea why people think a diddy cup semi would attract 35,000+

Especially if it's on the BBC.

Would look fine on tv if the seating arrangement was sensibly done, split North stand 50/50 and then go from there round each side, and yes there would be over 21k for this, my estimate would be 25-30k

Why they force clubs to sell for the much bigger South Stand behind the camera i don't know but it certainly drains some of the atmosphere, probably to charge extra for tickets!

Like us v Raith in 2010 was a great day in the North stand, 4000 Raith one side, 4000 Utd the other and a good amtsophere between the two, but the rest of the support was across in the South stand for both teams and silent, 6000 Utd and 3000 Raith instead of just continuous into the East/West stands, total attendance was 17k which was decent on a Sunday

In the video below from after the game you can see the North stand staying and soaking up getting to the Final, where as the South stand lot are almost all away!

If you're able to upload it (even just the highlights) that'd be superb. Would be good to see it again. Same with replay if there were full highlights rather than the brief bit on youtube.

Will look it out and get them uploaded this coming week, from memory the replay highlights are shorter of the two

Folk call it a diddy cup but let's be serious, you'd love to take the league cup home with you. Beggars can't be choosers.

On another note, Scotland is crying out for 30k stadium. Just think, there would never be any issues again and there would be no more tedious arguments over where the game should be held.

Folk call it a diddy cup but let's be serious, you'd love to take the league cup home with you. Beggars can't be choosers.

On another note, Scotland is crying out for 30k stadium. Just think, there would never be any issues again and there would be no more tedious arguments over where the game should be held.

No club side could use a 30,000 seater stadium.

What the highlights show is a half empty Hampden. At the replay there was 13,963, though the first game did manage a whopping 21,397.

No idea why people think a diddy cup semi would attract 35,000+

Especially if it's on the BBC.

Don't get this diddy cup nonsense, it's not like any of us are in a position to be picky.

In any case due to relative kick off times league cup semis have drawn bigger crowds than Scottish Cup semis over recent seasons

Don't get this diddy cup nonsense, it's not like any of us are in a position to be picky.

In any case due to relative kick off times league cup semis have drawn bigger crowds than Scottish Cup semis over recent seasons

It just doesn't hold anything like the same prestige as the Scottish Cup for me - sure, it's nice to win I guess, but I'm never gutted when knocked out of it in the early rounds.

Will be disappointed if this is played at Easter Road.

Too small.

For a 3pm Saturday not on TV surely Aberdeen would take ~20k and United ~12k.

I think that's a little bit of an over-estimate. Maybe 15k for us and 10k for United.

Those clips from 1994 brought back painful memories. AFC played 4 matches in Glasgow in the space of 10 days - I went to them all, and we won none of them.

http://www.afcheritage.org/Matches/Fixtures/fixtures.cfm?season=1993-94&Squad=Senior

I was at that game (so not a complete Jonah) - don't remember the two red cards for United at all - what happened? In the tunnel?

I wasn't there, think I was abroad, somewhere in eastern Europe. Preget :lol: Pascal :lol: United had some shite playing for them back then.

Archived