World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, Semifinal

banana

We're all forgetting Hibs at home that weekend. Which means two things.

They probably won't want to move their own game to Sunday and clash with Old Firm game, and they probably won't want to play on pitch in February a day after a semi-final.

If it's Tynecastle, it'll be a lunchtime kick-off to avoid the Hibs game, and lunchtime kick-offs are shite.

Has to be Hampden.

Only thing is - having both at Hampden means playing on its pitch, which will only just have been laid, twice in 2 days... That said, I accept the issues with Tynecastle's capacity given Dundee Utd's larger support and it being untelevised.

But ER would be the best venue, logistics allowing.

EDIT: You're also assuming Rangers-Celtic would be Sunday afternoon? It could be Saturday lunchtime, leaving Aberdeen-DU for the Sunday. That'd make ER easier.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing is - having both at Hampden means playing on its pitch, which will only just have been laid, twice in 2 days... That said, I accept the issues with Tynecastle's capacity given Dundee Utd's larger support and it being untelevised.

No reason really why we can't play at Ibrox or Celtic Park. It's not an SFA competition so Hampden is not set in stone.

That's what the clubs should push for.

EDIT: You're also assuming Rangers-Celtic would be Sunday afternoon? It could be Saturday lunchtime, leaving Aberdeen-DU for the Sunday. That'd make ER easier.

I am assuming yes. BBC usually televise their games on the Sunday unless they are ahowing two games (early rounds Scottish cup) so hoping they stick to it.

Easter Road I think will cause too many arguments over allocation. If you got a ticket for it though then it would be a cracking atmosphere.

League cup semi-final. Can't see more than 8,000 United fans.

Easter Road holds over 20,000. Get it packed instead of a half empty Hampden.

12,000 at the semi in 2008 at Tynecastle... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7226724.stm

Aye, but that was for a midweek game.

And a midweek game that had already been postponed for a deluge previously IIRC.

I am assuming yes. BBC usually televise their games on the Sunday unless they are ahowing two games (early rounds Scottish cup) so hoping they stick to it.

I've no idea how the TV contracts work but is there any chance that Sky or BT may/can offer a substantial figure of dough for the (very first meeting of) Sellick v The Rangers leaving the BBC with the United - Aberdeen tie?

I've no idea how the TV contracts work but is there any chance that Sky or BT may/can offer a substantial figure of dough for the (very first meeting of) Sellick v The Rangers leaving the BBC with the United - Aberdeen tie?

Surely the answer is "No".

BBC's paid for rights.

Two of the biggest and most successful teams in Scotland, has to be one of the large Glasgow stadiums.

Partially saying that as a selfish fair weather fan as I don't have a season ticket this year but want to head up for this game.

Can we afford to lock fans out of the games in Scotland?

I will admit that the Tynecastle semi was the best Dons atmosphere I've ever experienced, but it would be a terrible shame if folk didn't get to see the game as it likely won't be on TV.

Of course we can afford to but the question is whether we want to.

Personally, as a season ticket holder and therefore guaranteed a ticket, I'd rather a sold out game at a decent stadium than a marginally larger crowd at Hampden because Hampden is a terrible stadium for atmosphere and actually getting to see the game. It'll be Hampden though.

Edit: Larger crowd rather than smaller crowd. <<< Thicko.

No reason really why we can't play at Ibrox or Celtic Park. It's not an SFA competition so Hampden is not set in stone.

That's what the clubs should push for.

Aye. If it has to be Glasgow (and I do appreciate the compelling argument for not turning paying customers away, of course) make it at a decent stadium.

Saturday 3pm game, absolutely braw. Not a bigoted song heard, absolutely braw. Nae fighting, absolutely braw.

Of course this game will not get a look in at all until the day of the game in the Glasgow press, but I suggest this will be the better footballing spectacle of the two.

Would love it to be at Tynecastle but the demand for tickets from both sets of fans means it will likely be Hampden, with a third of the seats empty. Shame like but ah well.

Looking forward to the game, both teams will see this as a decent chance to get to the final. A shame this isn't the final!

Dont see any reason for it not to be at Hampden

Probably wont sell out but id still expect around 30,000 at it with about two thirds Aberdeen fans, especially if, as expected this is a 3-00 saturday slot with the 'other' tie being televised on the sunday

Easter Road or Tynecastle would result in some not getting to see the game so Hampden is a no brainer surely?

Two of the biggest and most successful teams in Scotland, has to be one of the large Glasgow stadiums.

Partially saying that as a selfish fair weather fan as I don't have a season ticket this year but want to head up for this game.

Dundee United? They're not even the most successful team in their city.

Dont see any reason for it not to be at Hampden

There are two very obvious reasons not to have it at Hampden, one decent reason to have it at Hampden and one bad reason to have it at Hampden.

1. Hampden's a terrible stadium.

2. Glasgow's not convenient for either set of fans.

3. Hampden's big enough so everyone can get a ticket.

4. The SFA need to justify spunking all that money on a shite, unnecessary stadium in Glasgow.

Obviously it'll be Hampden.

Edit: League Cup so I suppose that shite last reason doesn't really count.

Archived