Renfrew Ground

Sharpal27

I understand that work will commence soon to demolish Western Park, home of Renfrew FC since 1912.

Renfrew are currently playing at Keanie Park, Johnstone.

Work will commence on the construction of our new home at Blythswood on 10 November. Hope is to complete the ground works around mid February 2015 and thereafter the building of the clubhouse which is planned to take at least another two weeks.

Completion target date is March 2015.

I guess timescales will be very much weather dependent.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah good luck to Renfrew.Gave us a special crystal ornament to commemorate one of last games at adamslie, class that was.

Does seem a very short period of time, we know what a mine field and time frame a new stadium can be so well done to them for pushing it through so quick.

Good luck to Renfrew and their move to a new ground.

I have to say four months seems an incredibly short programme for building a football ground, especially winter months. Our park took over a year to build.

How long do you reckon it would have taken if they'd finished the drainage,glens? :huh:

surely it is all down to the design and build of the ground, if using modular buildings then they are faster to erect than a traditional construction, biggest thing will be the pitch, i would imagine an artificial surface will be quicker to lay than grass. the rest is just services like water, waste and power. 4 months should be do-able,

Haven't seen the latest plans so cannot confirm pavillion building type. Pitch is to be a 3g surface. Floodlights and small cover should also be constructed. Have (hopefully) attached a photo of the current area where new ground is to be.

post-37667-0-50667700-1414962805_thumb.j

Yeah good luck to Renfrew.Gave us a special crystal ornament to commemorate one of last games at adamslie, class that was.

Does seem a very short period of time, we know what a mine field and time frame a new stadium can be so well done to them for pushing it through so quick.

You'll need to build an extension to keep all the stuff you got for your "last" games.

For those wanting to see it on the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8805283,-4.4012538,424m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ground level: https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8805103,-4.4023792,3a,75y,166.7h,85.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swwiAY6B2nP-jDFtwBWW7fw!2e0

Brilliant planning by Renfrew, plenty of scope for future expansion if required, parking a doddle, & offering the prospect of a full family day out experience - hubby goes to the 'Frew match whilst the missus blows a hole in the bank account at Matalan & the other shops nearby. ;)

surely it is all down to the design and build of the ground, if using modular buildings then they are faster to erect than a traditional construction, biggest thing will be the pitch, i would imagine an artificial surface will be quicker to lay than grass. the rest is just services like water, waste and power. 4 months should be do-able,

Correct. Laying an astro on top of concrete is relatively easy and quick to do. It is certainly faster than laying it on grass, when the ballast has to brought in from outside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on Renfrew FC grounds.

Western Park succumbed to the recent storms when part of the pavilion frontage collapsed on to the pavement. The area has been made safe and the next day a demolition team moved in and has started to demolish parts of the ground. At the moment the pavilion has still to be completely demolished.

Work on the new ground has restarted after a 2 week break over the festive period. The pitch area is being levelled and drainage pipes laid. The perimiter fence has started to be erected.

For those wanting to see it on the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8805283,-4.4012538,424m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ground level: https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8805103,-4.4023792,3a,75y,166.7h,85.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swwiAY6B2nP-jDFtwBWW7fw!2e0

Brilliant planning by Renfrew, plenty of scope for future expansion if required, parking a doddle, & offering the prospect of a full family day out experience - hubby goes to the 'Frew match whilst the missus blows a hole in the bank account at Matalan & the other shops nearby. ;)

I doubt 'the missus' would find many retail outlets there now - pretty much desolate and has been for some time. She could always go for a game of golf at Renfrew Golf Club. or for an aperitif at The Normandy Hotel?

I doubt 'the missus' would find many retail outlets there now - pretty much desolate and has been for some time. She could always go for a game of golf at Renfrew Golf Club. or for an aperitif at The Normandy Hotel?

So long as there's a Matalan there that's all that's required - anything else is just a bonus. Matalan is like crack cocaine to wifies - "I'm buying tonnes of s**t I don't even need here, but it's A BARGAAAAAIN so it is!"

I take it they are building on the abandoned ground between the existing Park and the Normandy

Hotel? If that's the case I'm glad they are doing something with that land and that the new park isn't far at all away from the new one.

Archived